Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I looked at it and makes more sense to go via carrier

£71 a month for pro max 256GB when mine with EE is £79 a month with 100GB of data

Agreed on cost per month, but considering you can upgrade yearly and you’re not theoretically tied up for 24 months (assuming you use the plan as intended)

for me I would say the iUP was missing something like a priority pre order option to make it really feel ‘special’

I’m really torn on whether to try and apply this year. I think it’ll be good to not outlay the money however I have the risk of not being accepted and the aggro that’s goes with it by having the phone refunded etc etc

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
HK users get a specially made model only sold in HK and China, with dual SIM card slots instead of sim + esim.

Not true, they get a model that was either sold world wide ( Last year's XS ) or Sold in China ( Dual Sim ). This year it is just Chinese Model only.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Not true, they get a model that was either sold world wide ( Last year's XS ) or Sold in China ( Dual Sim ). This year it is just Chinese Model only.

And what you wrote makes what I wrote not true in what way? This year they get access to a model specially made for HK and China, thus pricing cannot be compared accurately to other regions of the world.

Reactions: nebo1ss

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
And what you wrote makes what I wrote not true in what way? This year they get access to a model specially made for HK and China, thus pricing cannot be compared accurately to other regions of the world.

Because in all previous years, HK had always had the US / International model, last year the XS was the US model with e-sim. And in all those cases the prices were $100 more expensive. You are picking the "specially made" in all model this year and one model last year, while the price disparity has been there since iPhone 5.

i.e The price difference didn't happen because there was a special model made for that region, it has been like that for years.

Not to mention Japan has its own model as well due to Camera and Felica NFC for a long time, none of these had any effect on pricing.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
False!
$699 is with US taxes included, the price will be 10% lower!
$629 will be the price from China (don't tell me you want your phone to pass 2 countries taxes before it goes to you)
$629 = £503
503 x 20% = £603
729-603 = £126 YOU'RE BEING RIPPED OFF. IMO!
Maybe I'm wrong...
[doublepost=1568481200][/doublepost]Now for the iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB
$1449 in US
$1304 will be the price in China, from where you'll get it.
$1304 = £1043
1043 x 20% = £1251
1499-1251 = £248 now that's a SCAM!
False!
US prices don’t include tax.

Reactions: Azathoth123

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Because in all previous years, HK had always had the US / International model, last year the XS was the US model with e-sim. And in all those cases the prices were $100 more expensive. You are picking the "specially made" in all model this year and one model last year, while the price disparity has been there since iPhone 5.

i.e The price difference didn't happen because there was a special model made for that region, it has been like that for years.

Not to mention Japan has its own model as well due to Camera and Felica NFC for a long time, none of these had any effect on pricing.

iPhone 11 64GB. HK$5999 = $767. Or $699 in the US. Not a $100 difference.

iPhone 11 Pro Max 512GB. HK$12499 = $1598. Only $1449 in the US. A bigger than $100 difference.

The claims of an arbitrary $100 increase are plain wrong. It is % based. And probably necessary because of the cost of logistics and running... 5 is it now?... apple stores in a city half the population of the mainland Chinese city next door which has a total of 1.

The Japanese model is an oddity and no longer exists in the iPhone 11. It was a temporary measure until technology caught up, ie something Apple would suck up the cost difference on if any. The China/HK model has a different background. Japan is also worth mentioning since in the past, the cheapest place in the world to buy an iPhone was at one point Japan, even with sales taxes included and compared to Hong Kong. This was due to currency fluctuations, of course, rather than Apples pricing strategy.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The claims of an arbitrary $100 increase are plain wrong. It is % based. And probably necessary because of the cost of logistics and running... 5 is it now?... apple stores in a city half the population of the mainland Chinese city next door which has a total of 1.

Again, you are quoting current situation, which is slightly changed due to the adjustment in pricing, especially with the introduction of XS Max where pricing exceed $1000. and XR, which is targeting midrange. For example, look at the current 11 Pro pricing. Read back all previous Apple pricing in HK on new flagship introduction, and it has been a very consistent pricing structure. As a matter of fact, Worldwide pricing structure are exactly the same, inclusive of VAT / GST and Import Tax, except for HK being USD $100 more expensive. Exchange rate are used at 7.78 / 7.8 with rounded up closes to the desire selling price.

And running cost / logistics are similar to Apple Store in US. And why are there only 1 Store next door, possibly because Apple knew how many iPhone bought in HK went back to China?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.