Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Now that the Mini has been out for about 11 months and the 13 Mini is upon us, what are your thoughts on the Mini after that owning it long-term?

Likes? Dislikes? Are you happy with your purchase? Would you buy the form factor again, or plan on switching to a different model/size next time you upgrade?

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Love it, best smartphone in many years. I always had different sizes before. Small, middle, large. Really depending, often switching between generations.

As the 13 Mini will be the last Mini, I will upgrade which I wouldn't have done if there would be a 14 Mini. But I will do that when the prices drop some time next year. I want to have the latest and greatest Mini ever available. Maybe I will buy an iPhone 14 (Max) and keep the 13 Mini as my main device after that. But at the moment I am loving the Mini size. Big enough for browsing, watching short videos or sometimes a soccer game on the go. But small enough to fit anywhere. Really amazing device and amazing engineering, look at what they have given us in such a small body. And today I dropped it the first time on concrete floor aka street, without a case of course. Only 3 marks on the aluminium but front and back and sides besides that perfect.

Only the reception quality is solala... Much better than my previous 11 6.1. But still had many problems after updating to 14.6 and 14.7.1. Now with iOS15 Beta 8 it is very good again.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Got 12 mini on release and overall it’s a great phone, save for two things I’ve come to realize based on my use. I knew going in that the battery would need recharging more frequently so I’m not disappointed. But based on my daily routines it feels like more of a limitation than I’d hoped. Also the size, while great(!) for one handed use, is a little small for two handed use. I assumed I’d always prefer one-handed use, but it turns out that I often prefer two hands, especially when typing. The phone then feels too small as I have to crowd my fingers around the back. I still say it’s a great phone, and have recommended it to a couple family members. But I’m probably going 13 Pro Max this time around lol. I switch between phone sizes since I'm on iUP.

Reactions: OddyOh

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I love gadgets and would like nothing better than to buy a shiny new toy to play with. Unless Apple has some surprise to unveil tomorrow that hasn't been leaked, I haven't seen anything in the new iPhone leaks that makes me want to change from my black iPhone 12 mini. I really like this one.

Reactions: CrazyForCashews

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
I got the mini after giving my 12 Pro to my wife. It's been my favorite iPhone to use in quite some time. But, after about 6 months, I'm having real problems with battery longevity(now that I'm leaving the house in a non-lockdown world) and readable text (because I guess I'm getting old now?).

I think I'll hang on to my 12mini and order the 13Max so I can get the best of both worlds and switch between the two over the next year or so.

Reactions: 5105973

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Might be too specific, but T-Mobile is offering free iPhone 12 mini (or 12 "regular"), albeit with bill credits, to those switching - no trade in required. My wife and I each have iPhone 11s, so we're not desperate to upgrade (and may wait for 13), but it seems like a tempting deal. Did anyone go 11->12 mini? Recommended? Hard no?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Might be too specific, but T-Mobile is offering free iPhone 12 mini (or 12 "regular"), albeit with bill credits, to those switching - no trade in required. My wife and I each have iPhone 11s, so we're not desperate to upgrade (and may wait for 13), but it seems like a tempting deal. Did anyone go 11->12 mini? Recommended? Hard no?
You have to get the Magenta Max plan to get the credits.

"Get up to $830 off iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 mini via 24 monthly bill credits when you are on a Magenta® MAX rate plan and bring your number."

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I bought the 12 mini in January 2021 and I love it.

Earliest I would consider a newer iPhone would be January 2023, and more likely Jan 2024.

So I will wait at least another year before I even consider "upgrading".

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
love mine, even if the battery isnt great. but I'm never not around a charger when I need it. will be keeping an eye out for tmobile's promotions at launch and black Friday on swapping it out for a 13 mini

pacpac2017

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi, I got my iPhone 12 mini (128GB) a couple of weeks ago (not long-term use, but might be useful) "down" from the iPhone 12 Pro (256GB). Was prepared for shorter battery life, so that is OK. Always close to a charger and got a portable wireless power thing for travelling. This is for sure the right phone for me for day-to-day use, absolutely a far better alternative than the 12... If I need to do some light work, I bring my iPad, then my Air M1 if more complicated work needs doing. My desktop is a Mac. Bottom line, for me, the iPhone mini 12 is perfect, and will go for the iPhone 13 mini if I spot a good deal.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Got mine launch day and I’ve quite enjoyed it since. All my previous iPhones were the largest ones available but I wanted something that would fit in my pocket since I got an iPad Pro 11inch for when I need something bigger. Only issue is the battery, somehow it is at 84% capacity even though the charging habits have not changed since my first iPhone. My previous iPhone, the 7 plus, had it’s battery stay above 90% for almost a year. Was debating getting the MagSafe pack, but I already have a huge battery pack so figured I’ll save the money and just use it plugged in when needed. Size wise I think it’s great and I prefer typing on that than the larger iPhones.

Ironically I am now using a Samsung Fold 3 which is like twice the size and thickness of the mini folded LOL but now that school and work are back in person, I wanted something that I could use as a regular phone and a tablet in one. Surprisingly enjoying it — although I keep my mini at the house and use that as my smart hub controller and working out since the Fold (obviously) doesn’t have HomeKit and is too large to bring on runs.

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2013
It has been my favorite phone ever. I love the size--easy to reach with one hand and very pocketable. The battery life is the biggest issue, but it is more than worth the trade off. I will almost certainly upgrade to the 13 mini because the battery life will almost certainly be better with the newer 5G radio, and I am worried that rumors of it being the last mini phone will leave me hanging on to it for a while. Want to have the best one possible while I resist bigger phones!

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Pulled the trigger on Release Day, and have been entirely satisfied with everything about it.

Patiently waited with my 8 till I could get a full-screen (never liked the Home Button) phone that did not have an Intel modem, and it was the Mini that got me to pull the trigger.

The only draw the 12 Pro had for me was the 512 storage.

Really haven't had an issue with battery life (a charge easily lasts me through the day).

Only shortcomings in display area size I ever notice is Landscape iMessage (effectively unusable), and Googs App Selector dropdown (which renders larger than the screen).

I'll wait for the 1TB Mini option (if it ever comes), or snag a backup mini-512 next year--if it exists--before they are gone . . . or (Fate of all faits) I crush mine with a truck :(

[edit class='post-Keynote']

*meh*

I will continue to protect you, Little Buddy :)

[/edit]

Regards, splifingate

Last edited:

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Love it, best smartphone in many years. I always had different sizes before. Small, middle, large. Really depending, often switching between generations.

As the 13 Mini will be the last Mini, I will upgrade which I wouldn't have done if there would be a 14 Mini. But I will do that when the prices drop some time next year. I want to have the latest and greatest Mini ever available. Maybe I will buy an iPhone 14 (Max) and keep the 13 Mini as my main device after that. But at the moment I am loving the Mini size. Big enough for browsing, watching short videos or sometimes a soccer game on the go. But small enough to fit anywhere. Really amazing device and amazing engineering, look at what they have given us in such a small body. And today I dropped it the first time on concrete floor aka street, without a case of course. Only 3 marks on the aluminium but front and back and sides besides that perfect.

Only the reception quality is solala... Much better than my previous 11 6.1. But still had many problems after updating to 14.6 and 14.7.1. Now with iOS15 Beta 8 it is very good again.
My thoughts exactly. I will upgrade to the 13 Mini at some point, either at launch (if I'm tempted enough) but definitely by this time next year when prices will have lowered a little. Love the size/form factor and I want to hang on to this size device as long as possible. If the 13 Mini is the last of that size for an Apple phone for the foreseeable future then I'm going to keep hold of it as long as possible. I suppose I could be tempted by an Apple flip/clamshell-type iPhone as the compact size when folded would make it manageable, but that's still likely to be a couple of years away if ever.

Sold my 12 Mini last week with the 13 Mini in mind, but if it's just as the rumours suggest then I'll probably just pick up a cheaper 12 Mini and hold on to it until July/August next year and then buy a 13 Mini then.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I gotta give you respect for going case-less with the Mini. The only way people should use it.
Thx, and is so much better. But the grip ist much less. I own a "naked case". Transparent TPU case, razor thin and weights only 7g, it fits like a glove on the phone, almost invisible but Mini is so much grippier with it on. And for some reason I wanted to put it on before it happened. Big mistake. But we have bigger problems than 3 marks on aluminium. Could have been so much worth. Love the ceramic glass they developed.

Reactions: snipr125

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
My thoughts exactly. I will upgrade to the 13 Mini at some point, either at launch (if I'm tempted enough) but definitely by this time next year when prices will have lowered a little. Love the size/form factor and I want to hang on to this size device as long as possible. If the 13 Mini is the last of that size for an Apple phone for the foreseeable future then I'm going to keep hold of it as long as possible. I suppose I could be tempted by an Apple flip/clamshell-type iPhone as the compact size when folded would make it manageable, but that's still likely to be a couple of years away if ever.

Sold my 12 Mini last week with the 13 Mini in mind, but if it's just as the rumours suggest then I'll probably just pick up a cheaper 12 Mini and hold on to it until July/August next year and then buy a 13 Mini then.
Yeah, I wanted not to upgrade early but it depends on what they are offering with the 13 Mini and presenting today. But from all the latest rumors I can wait. Only thing with my 12 Mini is reception problems when traveling, that have gotten much better with iOS15 upgrade. Otherwise I am totally happy.
If all they offer is a slightly better camera, better 5G modem and a bit better battery life I can wait. If there is one more thing like TouchID or other stuff I like, I may upgrade earlier. Really depending. But latest rumors are quite disappointing unfortunately.

Drosera

macrumors regular
May 9, 2020
Reading these comments is music to my ears after just ordering an iPhone 12 mini using this amazing deal! Can't wait for it to arrive...

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 11.42.41.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.