Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
I can't be the only one who loves the small iPhone 12 Mini because it's the only phone that can be used with just one hand while sitting on the toilet? Prior to that, the iPhone SE(20160 served the same purpose. :(

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
With all the love shown to the mini here, you’d think it was one of the top selling iPhones.

Not sure if it’s fate is sealed after this year, or if improved sales of the 13 can make Apple re-evaluate and keep it around for iPhone 14.

I hope it does, but it probably will not. I do hope it will become the next SE, at least.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Now there is a new iPad mini, less bezels, bigger display, 5G, USB-C. OMG, perfect traveling combo. The 13 Mini might be a tough sell to me this year but the iPad mini 6 won't. Will look perfect next to the iPhone 12 mini.

But for now the iPhone 13 is very very underwhelming, see presentation. Sooo underwhelming that I don't know if I will ever upgrade. Definitely not now. Waiting for a 300$ price drop next year. I can wait. Disappointed, even though I knew it would be underwhelming. There is NOTHING really exciting. So I would maybe really get a way cheaper 12 Mini for people now looking for one. Don't see a 300$ and up price difference here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Barbareren

SydneyAZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
I wanted the Mini the moment I saw it. I've been disappointed and am going back to the Pro line this year (refresh rate!). I wanted something that would be one-handed and fit easily in my pocket, and it has done that. But the screen is so small that I do feel FOMO when I look at larger phones. Also, I had an unexpected eye issue mid-year and that really made the Mini feel too small. Plus, I'm at home more than I used to be because of Covid, so I really am not getting the main benefits of the Mini that I'd hoped for, like ease of carrying. 95% of the time, it's sitting with me at home, so it might as well have a bigger screen. The 6s is still my favorite because of the rounded edges. If they put a 120Hz phone in that 6s body, I'd buy it.

Reactions: OddyOh

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I love gadgets and would like nothing better than to buy a shiny new toy to play with. Unless Apple has some surprise to unveil tomorrow that hasn't been leaked, I haven't seen anything in the new iPhone leaks that makes me want to change from my black iPhone 12 mini. I really like this one.
Well, after watching the keynote, I stand by what I said earlier. Gonna hang on to my 12 Mini. It's a keeper.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Well, after watching the keynote, I stand by what I said earlier. Gonna hang on to my 12 Mini. It's a keeper.
Yeah that reveal was... underwhelming to say the least. Also somewhat of a strange complaint but I'm not a fan of that diagonal camera layout, kinda ruins the look of the phone.

Reactions: MikeAK

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Yeah that reveal was... underwhelming to say the least. Also somewhat of a strange complaint but I'm not a fan of that diagonal camera layout, kinda ruins the look of the phone.

It was definitely an underwhelming reveal for me as well. I will be buying an iPhone 13 Mini at some point over the next year but that's only because I'm still on my much loved 6s. If I was on an 11 or 12 model I wouldn't have any interest in the 13. Nothing they showed will be noticeable in real world usage coming from those models.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I wanted the Mini the moment I saw it. I've been disappointed and am going back to the Pro line this year (refresh rate!). I wanted something that would be one-handed and fit easily in my pocket, and it has done that. But the screen is so small that I do feel FOMO when I look at larger phones. Also, I had an unexpected eye issue mid-year and that really made the Mini feel too small. Plus, I'm at home more than I used to be because of Covid, so I really am not getting the main benefits of the Mini that I'd hoped for, like ease of carrying. 95% of the time, it's sitting with me at home, so it might as well have a bigger screen. The 6s is still my favorite because of the rounded edges. If they put a 120Hz phone in that 6s body, I'd buy it.

12 Pro is 205 grams. That is a lot of weight compared to 133 grams of the 12Mini.

Reactions: shadow puppet

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Absolutely love it. I wish the battery was a little better, but not enough to make me change to the 13 mini. If you are considering the mini and do not already have one, the 13 will be great! It's also the best looking phone when paired with the wallet b.c it's a perfect fit. The only time I wish I had a bigger phone is when I am sitting on the couch surfing the web, but that is what an iPad can be used for.

Reactions: macintoshmac

TheRoadRunner

Suspended
Oct 7, 2020
United Kingdom
Now that the Mini has been out for about 11 months and the 13 Mini is upon us, what are your thoughts on the Mini after that owning it long-term?

Likes? Dislikes? Are you happy with your purchase? Would you buy the form factor again, or plan on switching to a different model/size next time you upgrade?
I only purchased my 12 mini a couple of weeks ago on the gamble that the 13 mini wouldn’t offer anything substantial over the 12, and the gamble paid off. Saved a bit of money in the process too.

It’s a fantastic phone, no complaints. Will probably hang on to it for a long time, especially if the 13 mini will be the last mini iPhone, as I prefer smaller form factors.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I switched from the SE1 to a mini last year. I’m still bummed that the mini is larger and heavier than the SE1 (and the mini 13 is still heavier). This makes the mini merely serviceable for me, not sexy like the SE1 was. No problems with the battery, it often lasts two days. Overall I’m not entirely happy for a number of small reasons, but in the end there’s really no alternative if you don’t want a large phone.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
With all the love shown to the mini here, you’d think it was one of the top selling iPhones.?

Not sure if it’s fate is sealed after this year, or if improved sales of the 13 can make Apple re-evaluate and keep it around for iPhone 14.
Product lines are usually planned a couple years in advance but I do hope you’re right. All I want is the third lens on this thing. I’ll be getting the 13mini basically just because I can.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
Got the 12 mini on launch day. Perfect sized phone. Battery less than ideal but I still usually charge it only once a day. Some apps and websites are still not optimized for the mini which sucks. Barely know it’s on me when walking/running/biking.
That said I will probably buy the 13 Pro for the better battery life and cameras and keep my mini as a backup and ‘iPod’ for exercise rather than trade it in.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Product lines are usually planned a couple years in advance but I do hope you’re right. All I want is the third lens on this thing. I’ll be getting the 13mini basically just because I can.

I’ve read this elsewhere on this site, and it may well be true.

But wouldn’t the inverse be the same? Surely, the plan years ago wasn’t to kill off part of the product line just 2 years in?

While there’s probably a set 3-4 year roadmap, I’m also thinking there are contingency B & C plans.
So multiple designs for backup and modularity that allow them to react to market conditions or global pandemics (introducing TouchID on power button for instance).

So it’s not inconceivable the mini survives beyond 13. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
So it’s not inconceivable the mini survives beyond 13. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Been saying the same thing for a long time, as nothing has been officially confirmed regarding the Mini, but everyone seems to be dead set on the 13 being the last Mini, solely based on sales numbers and rumours, so I’ve just given up trying to argue ?‍♂️ I’m still hopeful that the Mini-line will continue, and NOT become a budget SE… The fact is that nobody actually knows yet, it’s all speculations. Like you wrote, it might be unlikely, but it’s certainly not impossible. Time will tell…

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Been saying the same thing for a long time, as nothing has been officially confirmed regarding the Mini, but everyone seems to be dead set on the 13 being the last Mini, solely based on sales numbers and rumours, so I’ve just given up trying to argue ?‍♂️ I’m still hopeful that the Mini-line will continue, and NOT become a budget SE… The fact is that nobody actually knows yet, it’s all speculations. Like you wrote, it might be unlikely, but it’s certainly not impossible. Time will tell…

Totally. I've been around long enough to remember when people claimed the exact same thing about the iPad Mini when it first launched back in 2012. People thought for sure it was dead after the 2nd year when sales were not comparable to the regular. People said it had no place because it too closely resembled phone sizes.

I also don't believe Apple is ready to kill off the iPhone Mini just 2 years after public release. I believe the 13 Mini will sell better because people will be able to see it in stores this next year and actually hold it in hands. 2020 most people were not able to do this.

Until we actually hear anything official we'll never know. But I'm not sold on the idea Apple is ready to kill it off after just 2 years.

Reactions: Barbareren

Major774

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2020
Got my preorder ready to go, starlight 128GB.

I have been working hard to kill off my current mini battery since launch… down to 90% capacity hehe. Pure MagSafe charging, never plugged in once.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Is the mini more difficult to read text etc compared to the other iPhones? Perhaps the font size is smaller on the mini?

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
It's great, but had to switch back to the Pro. for the 13. Missed the higher quality cameras.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Is the mini more difficult to read text etc compared to the other iPhones? Perhaps the font size is smaller on the mini?
Can’t speak for everyone, but I had to increase the UI text size quite a bit, but then again I’m over 40 and should probably wear glasses lol. I can still read everything as it is by default, though, but it’s not comfortable on my eyes at least…

Reactions: OddyOh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.