Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Yea that is why if its something small I wouldn't want to replace it, because there could be something worse like that green tint or yellow tint or a dead pixel..... The gap is very small year dust can be noticeable just wipe it with a microfiber towel and it will go away or use a thin paper to take the dust out of course if a coin fits in the gap then yes replace it but not because thin paper fits lol...
Let’s not forgot about scratched frame. One of mine was pitted and really bad out of the box on the rim of the gold frame above the lightning port. QC is terrible.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I’d exchange it in a heartbeat.
I did, here’s my story on why I had 4 iPhone 12 Pro Max devices.
First one, would prompt SIM card not inserted intermittently ,new sim didn’t resolve. Even though same sim worked in other devices.
Second device, frame scratched out of the box, area of rim above the lightning port pitted.
Third device, green tint.

Dazza76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2019
U.K
(So far).....I've not had issues with replacement iPhones. Had both the 5s and 6 replaced and both replacements were fine. Doesn't guarantee my luck won't change but when the company that built a device tells you the one you have isn't right, it's tough to not let them check it for me.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
(So far).....I've not had issues with replacement iPhones. Had both the 5s and 6 replaced and both replacements were fine. Doesn't guarantee my luck won't change but when the company that built a device tells you the one you have isn't right, it's tough to not let them check it for me.
That’s the whole point the company didn’t. Some contractor in Timbuktu did.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Sorry, should have said "designed" the device.
Gaps in place to aid in screen replacement and expansion and contraction. As for dust this normally helps. I used one on all my previous android devices which had gaps.

Attachments

• B10F75CD-6B90-41E2-B79B-8BE75C57E1E7.jpeg
    B10F75CD-6B90-41E2-B79B-8BE75C57E1E7.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 88

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Tested this on my 12 pro. Ran a post-it along the edges and sure enough, in places the paper would slide under the glass. So I called Apple. Explained what was happening and they said it definitely shouldn't be doing that and that I should send it back to them immediately.
Apple rep on the phone can't see what you're talking about. They are only going by you saying there is a problem. The rep that looks at it will say it's normal and it will be sent back. If you feel it is worth the trouble of sending it in, by all means, have at it. To me it is a waste of time.

I can slip paper between the frame and the glass on my Mini. This IS NORMAL and is NOT A PROBLEM.

This forum is littered with people looking for the smallest imperfections with these mass produced electronics. Good luck finding that elusive unicorn iPhone.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Dazza76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2019
U.K
Well, the Royal Mail tracking show my 12 Pro has just been delivered to the service centre so I'll see what happens. Already missing it though. Having to use my old iPhone 6 for the moment. One hell of a throwback and not in a good way.

Dazza76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2019
U.K
Well, the Royal Mail tracking show my 12 Pro has just been delivered to the service centre so I'll see what happens. Already missing it though. Having to use my old iPhone 6 for the moment. One hell of a throwback and not in a good way.
Got my 12 pro back from Apple today. They ended up replacing the phone so seems the gaps on mine were beyond accepted tolerances. The new phone is brand new. Not a mark on it and it only has 2 very small places at the top right and bottom left of the screen where you can slide a piece of paper between the screen and the frame.

So, my advice for anybody concerned with this issue (in the UK at least) is to contact Apple about it.

Last edited:

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Got a 12 pro back from Apple today. They ended up replacing the phone so seems the gaps on mine were beyond accepted tolerances. The new phone is brand new. Not a mark on it and it only has 2 very small places at the top right and bottom left of the screen where you can slide a piece of paper between the screen and the frame.

So, my advice for anybody concerned with this issue (in the UK at least) is to contact Apple about it.
So the replacement has the same "problem". Better send it back and keep trying until you get a "good" one. /S

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
Returned mine since it bothers me, huge gap from frame to screen its like seeing the internal organs of the iphone lol. Hard to justify the price tag for that imperfections. My new one is now perfect.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
If there’s a gap bring it back. Remember you want the water resistance and if there is a gap then there is no ip67 water resistance in place

Dazza76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2019
U.K
If there’s a gap bring it back. Remember you want the water resistance and if there is a gap then there is no ip67 water resistance in place
It's meant to be IP68 and the seal for that is under the screen rather than around it apparently.

Dazza76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2019
U.K
Gap isn’t a issue, other products have the same gap, nothing to see here.

To be fair, if it's not an issue, why did Apple send me a new phone when I sent mine back because of the gap between the screen and frame the video speaks of?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
To be fair, if it's not an issue, why did Apple send me a new phone when I sent mine back because of the gap between the screen and frame the video speaks of?
Last thing apple want is customers to go nuts over something like this, give them the phone, then place the returned phone in the refurb stock and give it to someone else.

Apple lose nothing, win win either way.

Reactions: Phone Junky

Dazza76

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2019
U.K
Last thing apple want is customers to go nuts over something like this, give them the phone, then place the returned phone in the refurb stock and give it to someone else.

Apple lose nothing, win win either way.
You're probably right. Though if they'd turned around and told me it was within acceptable tolerances I'd have accepted it.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
You're probably right. Though if they'd turned around and told me it was within acceptable tolerances I'd have accepted it.
The things apple do for their customers is amazing, called up apple and polity told them it’s not acceptable that my charger and watch band is 4 days late when it’s in stock, (during covid lockdown) gave me the charger for free and a extra watch band free of charge.

Imagine dealing with Samsung no return policy unless the package is still sealed lol.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020

Water resistance has nothing to do with the gap. Glass up against metal doesn't keep water out anyway. The only thing that keeps water out is the gasket underneath the screen around the frame of the phone no matter the size of the gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.