Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Whats with the awful, cartoon looking skies? iPhone used to nail the sky, it looks like garbage Android phones now. Actually, now that I look at both, the 11 Pro Max is doing it too. First is the 11 Pro Max, second is the 12 Pro Max. Its not HDR, I have it turned off. Is this an iOS 14 thing? Whatever it is, it needs to go away and never come back.

IMG_1245.JPG IMG_1262.JPG

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I’d say something is broke. You wouldn’t have properly exposed foreground and background with HDR off.
Then they are forcing HDR because I clearly have HDR off and I had it off on my 11 Pro Max as well.

IMG_1444.PNG

kvos8477

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
Whats with the awful, cartoon looking skies? iPhone used to nail the sky, it looks like garbage Android phones now. Actually, now that I look at both, the 11 Pro Max is doing it too. First is the 11 Pro Max, second is the 12 Pro Max. Its not HDR, I have it turned off. Is this an iOS 14 thing? Whatever it is, it needs to go away and never come back.

View attachment 1667252 View attachment 1667253
I fully agree. I'm terribly disappointed in the colors of the 12 pro max. I've changed the camera settings every which way to try and make them look good and they're not even close to as nice as my 11 pro max.

Reactions: foliovision

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I fully agree. I'm terribly disappointed in the colors of the 12 pro max. I've changed the camera settings every which way to try and make them look good and they're not even close to as nice as my 11 pro max.
I cant wait until ProRAW is out, those look great. Problem is for sure in the over-aggressive JPEG/HEIC processing.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

View attachment 1667252 View attachment 1667253
Well you can’t just point and shoot. To make a photo look it’s best, you have to process it in Lightroom or the default photo editor. To me the cast is too blue in the shadows. It needs warmth added to it. Do you use Snapseed or Lightroom mobile? If not, look into it. Learning how the camera sees a scene and making adjustments before taking the photo will help. You can also try Halide and shoot RAW to fully process the photo. On these shots you are in a shaded area and the background is probably too bright so the software is doing it’s best to balance it all out. I’m sure the blue sky will look better in a different shot. Compare your sky to my image out in the open. I leave smart HDR on for best results

Attachments

• B352CE8A-65A1-424F-AEE9-C83D4A8B4342.jpeg
    B352CE8A-65A1-424F-AEE9-C83D4A8B4342.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 411
Reactions: Lsmachado

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Well you can’t just point and shoot. To make a photo look it’s best, you have to process it in Lightroom or the default photo editor. To me the cast is too blue in the shadows. It needs warmth added to it. Do you use Snapseed or Lightroom mobile? If not, look into it. Learning how the camera sees a scene and making adjustments before taking the photo will help. You can also try Halide and shoot RAW to fully process the photo. On these shots you are in a shaded area and the background is probably too bright so the software is doing it’s best to balance it all out. I’m sure the blue sky will look better in a different shot. Compare your sky to my image out in the open. I leave smart HDR on for best results
Thanks but Ive been a professional photographer for 15 years and I’m quite aware and familiar with Halide, LR and the like. What I’m saying is Apple did something in iOS 14 that make the iPhone photos look terrible. They now look fake, especially skies. There is WAY too much HDR and over aggressive processing going on. They look as bad as Samsung phones now, like a cartoon instead of a photo.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thanks but Ive been a professional photographer for 15 years and I’m quite aware and familiar with Halide, LR and the like. What I’m saying is Apple did something in iOS 14 that make the iPhone photos look terrible. They now look fake, especially skies. There is WAY too much HDR and over aggressive processing going on. They look as bad as Samsung phones now, like a cartoon instead of a photo.
Okay.... so have you compared your iPhone to another just like it side by side? There shouldn’t be fake looking details like that. Mine look great and I’ve even looked at the photos off my iPhone on my 27” iMac that has the 5k monitor. I hope you don’t have a defective camera(s). I’m glad you told us that you are a photographer, we just assumed otherwise. Apple ProRaw is around the corner, I really want to see that! I’m guessing that there are other photo apps available that do not incorporate apples deep fusion and hdr3, I think ProCamera is one of them. Don’t use the Moment pro camera app, the images from their new app look horrible, especially with high ISO.

so does this “fake look” show on everything that you take a photo of? Indoors and out? Portraits? I agree that the photos take on a weird look when zooming in way past the 100% mark, but that’s with all cameras. I’ll post more of mine so you can compare.
None ov these have been edited. Wide (1x) and 2.5x cameras used
5917FA77-4D49-4284-A27F-8CA2924AD439.jpeg

4A250C43-F2C1-4AB0-B821-171897FF5C98.jpeg

0AFAC25B-252B-4013-8F07-B0261246B950.jpeg

13BBFCB3-60E6-4FD1-96E6-FEC6F9E6CCE1.jpeg

19B61025-F4B4-43C4-8C91-3A66D606D9B7.jpeg

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Okay.... so have you compared your iPhone to another just like it side by side? There shouldn’t be fake looking details like that. Mine look great and I’ve even looked at the photos off my iPhone on my 27” iMac that has the 5k monitor. I hope you don’t have a defective camera(s). I’m glad you told us that you are a photographer, we just assumed otherwise. Apple ProRaw is around the corner, I really want to see that! I’m guessing that there are other photo apps available that do not incorporate apples deep fusion and hdr3, I think ProCamera is one of them. Don’t use the Moment pro camera app, the images from their new app look horrible, especially with high ISO.

so does this “fake look” show on everything that you take a photo of? Indoors and out? Portraits? I agree that the photos take on a weird look when zooming in way past the 100% mark, but that’s with all cameras. I’ll post more of mine so you can compare.
None ov these have been edited. Wide (1x) and 2.5x cameras used
Yes, I compared it to my 11 Pro Max on iOS 14, same thing. Photos did not look that over saturated and over processed on iOS 13. Please see my initial post and look at the cartoon sky colors and the awful looking HDR effects on the tree. Apple used to have very realistic saturation and color rendering, now its way overdone, like a Samsung phone, its terrible.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yes, I compared it to my 11 Pro Max on iOS 14, same thing. Photos did not look that over saturated and over processed on iOS 13. Please see my initial post and look at the cartoon sky colors and the awful looking HDR effects on the tree. Apple used to have very realistic saturation and color rendering, now its way overdone, like a Samsung phone, its terrible.
Yes I saw your original photos, mine don’t look that way as you can see in my samples. So somethings up with you are software or The camera itself. I would consult Apple at least and see if they can help diagnose your issue and replace your iPhone if needed. You may have to send them some samples to confirm. Your iPhone is definitely under warranty or you can hold out and see what Apple pro raw will do for you. But since my samples don’t look like yours and you have compared your iPhone with another, I think it’s safe to say that there’s an issue with your camera/software. I like the new HDR 3 that Apple has come up with. My photos are stunning as a result and I prefer that over a RAW Photo. The computational photography that the iPhone does is exceptional. I’ve been a photographer since 1990 and digital has definitely come along way. If you have a Apple store nearby, I recommend making an appointment to speak to someone in person. You may also try to completely erase your iPhone and do a full re-store to see if that helps, download a fresh & complete iOS 14.2.1 version. Below I have added a few more samples. Maybe you can scout out an area that looks similar to the photos that I have taken and try and duplicate it with your iPhone. The last two images are the same except I processed one and lifted the shadows and added a preset from light room mobile that I created. So, get to an Apple store.
986452E3-95FC-495D-9784-84A7DAAD42D8.jpeg

F01D807C-4307-4066-A436-7E640AF28BE7.jpeg

4BAFC76D-E26C-49D9-92C5-86E0F20F2C88.jpeg

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Yes I saw your original photos, mine don’t look that way as you can see in my samples. So somethings up with you are software or The camera itself. I would consult Apple at least and see if they can help diagnose your issue and replace your iPhone if needed. You may have to send them some samples to confirm. Your iPhone is definitely under warranty or you can hold out and see what Apple pro raw will do for you. But since my samples don’t look like yours and you have compared your iPhone with another, I think it’s safe to say that there’s an issue with your camera/software. I like the new HDR 3 that Apple has come up with. My photos are stunning as a result and I prefer that over a RAW Photo. The computational photography that the iPhone does is exceptional. I’ve been a photographer since 1990 and digital has definitely come along way. If you have a Apple store nearby, I recommend making an appointment to speak to someone in person. You may also try to completely erase your iPhone and do a full re-store to see if that helps, download a fresh & complete iOS 14.2.1 version. Below I have added a few more samples. Maybe you can scout out an area that looks similar to the photos that I have taken and try and duplicate it with your iPhone. The last two images are the same except I processed one and lifted the shadows and added a preset from light room mobile that I created. So, get to an Apple store.
View attachment 1681993
View attachment 1681994
View attachment 1681995
Its not my camera, It did it on both my 11PM and my 12PM, its iOS 14. No way those are SOOC JPEGS. You can tell they have been desaturated and edited.

Reactions: foliovision

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Here are two shots from user Google who says they are unedited. You cant see the massive difference in color here? Something is wrong with these cameras.

pic 3.jpg pic 4.jpg

Next Stop

Suspended
Nov 28, 2020
View attachment 1681993
View attachment 1681994
View attachment 1681995
Nothing spectacular in your examples that a Android phone can't do. Like Pixel 4 or 5 for example.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Its not my camera, It did it on both my 11PM and my 12PM, its iOS 14. No way those are SOOC JPEGS. You can tell they have been desaturated and edited.
Only the middle one above has. Now, these are SOOC completely untouched. They were just generic shots that I didn’t care to process. So, if you still don’t think these are right out of my camera, message me your number (only if you feel like doing so) and I’ll text them to you. I’ll be glad to do my best to help you any way I can. I don’t use Dropbox.

Todd

B61BBA0F-14EE-4F4C-961B-7DBE8D572599.jpeg

1E886DE2-CF65-4797-8A6E-4103C8EB6F44.jpeg

A2C862C9-A7AC-40CD-952A-64E18D3EBF57.jpeg

E794DEE3-D4B0-46F5-A990-C3A3A25B20E5.jpeg

219E19F3-B3F8-4DBA-A059-D4BEDFF236B8.jpeg

EA55129C-6FE7-4398-B739-49A781DFC430.jpeg

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Wait, why do you have HDR turned off? I thought part of why the iPhone takes great photos is the Smart HDR.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
No new samples??? If not I think we’re done here...

Anyway here are a few more of mine right off the sensor using Halide and the default camera with HDR3 on. A -1.5 and -1 exposure compensation was set on these.
59F6FA81-BAB4-4B25-AB76-670E1284D7FF.jpeg

F22C6B16-1E1C-4A30-890A-0CAC6AD4CC50.jpeg

477E9FB4-EA71-4C3F-81DC-5C5373D5E0D3.jpeg

now I’ll go process them. Have a good day!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.