Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Wait, why do you have HDR turned off? I thought part of why the iPhone takes great photos is the Smart HDR.
Because HDR makes photos look even more like cartoons. Are you guys colorblind? No one sees the massive differences here?

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France

Attachments

• 1C396169-2852-4A41-8F76-D0DB26F059AF.png
    1C396169-2852-4A41-8F76-D0DB26F059AF.png
    395.5 KB · Views: 176

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Because HDR makes photos look even more like cartoons. Are you guys colorblind? No one sees the massive differences here?

Again mine look perfect, no problem with mine I’m beginning to think that you guys don’t know what you’re doing. The second shot that you just posted in this particular thread that I’m replying to looks over exposed and improperly captured. Do you guys not compose your photo before you shoot or just raise your phone and click the shutter? You have to touch the focus you have to use exposure compensation you have to think about the shot before you take it. Anyway, this thread is beginning to waste my time, I’m done.. I will let somebody else reply from now on.

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Again mine look perfect, no problem with mine I’m beginning to think that you guys don’t know what you’re doing. The second shot that you just posted in this particular thread that I’m replying to looks over exposed and improperly captured. Do you guys not compose your photo before you shoot or just raise your phone and click the shutter? You have to touch the focus you have to use exposure compensation you have to think about the shot before you take it. Anyway, this thread is beginning to waste my time, I’m done.. I will let somebody else reply from now on.
It has nothing to do with properly exposing the photo, that's the iPhones job and that's why so many use it. Upon further testing, the problem seems to be in the HDR. Look what the sky does as I toggle it off and on. This didnt happen before iOS 14 and needs to be fixed.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I haven’t noticed this on mine. Just choose an option and leave it on or off. Or wait for the pro raw. I don’t know what else to tell you. Either wait it out or speak to Apple because none of us can help you here.

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I haven’t noticed this on mine. Just choose an option and leave it on or off. Or wait for the pro raw. I don’t know what else to tell you. Either wait it out or speak to Apple because none of us can help you here.
It needs to be reported to Apple as a bug to be fixed. No wonder people are showing off photos with terrible looking colors.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
It needs to be reported to Apple as a bug to be fixed. No wonder people are showing off photos with terrible looking colors.
I haven’t seen any other than yours and the one other person. Go on Instagram and look at all the 12 pro max photos, they are beautiful. If you think there is an issue, then report it. I’m not going to report it for you because I don’t see a problem. I suggested that you make an appointment and to go to the Apple store and see a rep instead of complaining here. We wish we could help, but complaining about the so called bug on your iPhone on these forums isn’t going to fix anything. And to be honest just because you think there’s a bug, doesn’t mean we have it. you sound a bit angry and I understand that, I do. A new iPhone should work perfectly but there are some that will have flaws. That’s why I always get AppleCare where others don’t to get it fixed if out of warranty. So call Apple. I’m sure they will help.

Reactions: Lsmachado

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
You do realize that you can report bugs to apple, right? Why should someone else do it for you?

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I haven’t seen any other than yours and the one other person. Go on Instagram and look at all the 12 pro max photos, they are beautiful. If you think there is an issue, then report it. I’m not going to report it for you because I don’t see a problem. I suggested that you make an appointment and to go to the Apple store and see a rep instead of complaining here. We wish we could help, but complaining about the so called bug on your iPhone on these forums isn’t going to fix anything. And to be honest just because you think there’s a bug, doesn’t mean we have it. you sound a bit angry and I understand that, I do. A new iPhone should work perfectly but there are some that will have flaws. That’s why I always get AppleCare where others don’t to get it fixed if out of warranty. So call Apple. I’m sure they will help.
Its not a phone problem, its an iOS 14 problem and if you dont see color shift issues in your photos, youre blind. Does the video I posted look normal to you? It didnt do that before ios 14. Not on iOS 13, 12, 11, 10 etc..It seems be a bug in iOS 14.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Its not a phone problem, its an iOS 14 problem and if you dont see color shift issues in your photos, youre blind. Does the video I posted look normal to you? It didnt do that before ios 14. Not on iOS 13, 12, 11, 10 etc..It seems be a bug in iOS 14.
Have you submitted a bug report to Apple through Apple feedback?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

I’m not a pro photographer by any means but none of the example images you’ve shown look like pictures I’d expect to see from someone with experience as a professional.

The pictures I’ve taken look fine. If you’re having issues report then to Apple.

Reactions: Cybertox

Next Stop

Suspended
Nov 28, 2020
Thank you....
I think OP is complaining about the issues with the sky. And your photos suffers also from this thing. Also your photos are not that spectacular and even a mid-range Google pixel 4a can produce better pics. Here are the highlighted examples :

Capture+_2020-11-29-10-21-51.png
Capture+_2020-11-29-10-21-51.png
Capture+_2020-11-29-10-22-04.png
Capture+_2020-11-29-10-22-35.png
Capture+_2020-11-29-10-22-19.png

Reactions: DexBell

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I think OP is complaining about the issues with the sky. And your photos suffers also from this thing. Also your photos are not that spectacular and even a mid-range Google pixel 4a can produce better pics. Here are the highlighted examples :

View attachment 1682398 View attachment 1682398 View attachment 1682399 View attachment 1682400 View attachment 1682401
Not that spectacular??? Duh! These are snapshots, just random jpegs that I just took. I raised the iPhone and pressed the shutter just like most people do. They are basic samples only for this thread that aren’t edited or planned. You are a poor judge of character and you probably wouldn’t know a good photo if you saw one based on your assumption of simple jpeg photos. I don’t care what you think. Google pixel lost its main camera engineer and the cameras aren’t as good as they once were. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is the most advanced yet. Of course these photos aren’t spectacular, they are random un processed jpegs that apparently you thought are my best work. Geez, don’t you people know the horizon turns more pale of blue the lower you go because of the atmosphere and light refraction? That’s basic science. Mostly the red and orange portion of the visible spectrum only gets through the atmosphere at that angle. Also there is usually haze, dust, clouds, and moisture at the horizon that scatters sunlight which also contributes to a washed out look in the sky. That’s why sunsets are red-orange. So there’s No software issue here, just ignorance.

With digital cameras, you have to expose for the highlights and lift shadows. Your circled areas are normal with digital cameras and don’t mean a thing. So do you feel a bit more educated now? Can we put this software issue to bed? Where are your samples? Where are your “spectacular images”?

Recent spectacular iPhone 12 pro max photos:

Owned!!

560B1D48-FF10-4A73-8B7D-4A45C83EE773.jpeg

8B308057-499C-4482-B0B6-6E5E68A786F0.jpeg

00A18A4A-5F0C-4C6C-94FB-15C121F4C315.jpeg
0120BE85-AE0C-428C-AC34-EE47BC4151C2.jpeg

C9CA4745-3A95-4A61-9258-5BD269B4C4EE.jpeg

E64F95D8-21F0-4954-9F75-045254C58567.jpeg

Last edited:

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Not that spectacular??? These are snapshots, just random jpegs and they suffer from nothing! You are a poor judge of character and you probably wouldn’t know a good photo if you saw one based on your assumption of simple jpeg photos. I don’t care what you think. Google pixel lost its main camera engineer and the cameras aren’t as good as they once were. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is the most advanced yet. Of course these photos aren’t spectacular, they are random un processed jpegs that apparently you thought are my best work. Geez, don’t you people know the horizon turns more pale of blue the lower you go because of the atmosphere? That’s basic science. Mostly the red and orange portion of the visible spectrum only gets through the atmosphere at that angle. Also here is usually haze, dust, and moisture at the horizon that scatters sunlight which also contributes to a washed out look in the sky. That’s why sunsets are red-orange. So there’s No software issue here, just ignorance.

With digital cameras, you have to expose for the highlights and lift shadows. Your circled areas are normal with digital cameras and don’t mean a thing. So do you feel a bit more educated now? Can we put this software issue to bed? Where are your samples? Where are your “spectacular images”?

Owned!!

View attachment 1682467

View attachment 1682468

View attachment 1682469 View attachment 1682470
STUNNING!
WOW!

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Not that spectacular??? Duh! These are snapshots, just random jpegs that I just took. I raised the iPhone and pressed the shutter just like most people do. They are basic samples only for this thread that aren’t edited or planned. You are a poor judge of character and you probably wouldn’t know a good photo if you saw one based on your assumption of simple jpeg photos. I don’t care what you think. Google pixel lost its main camera engineer and the cameras aren’t as good as they once were. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is the most advanced yet. Of course these photos aren’t spectacular, they are random un processed jpegs that apparently you thought are my best work. Geez, don’t you people know the horizon turns more pale of blue the lower you go because of the atmosphere and light refraction? That’s basic science. Mostly the red and orange portion of the visible spectrum only gets through the atmosphere at that angle. Also there is usually haze, dust, clouds, and moisture at the horizon that scatters sunlight which also contributes to a washed out look in the sky. That’s why sunsets are red-orange. So there’s No software issue here, just ignorance.

Owned!!

View attachment 1682467

View attachment 1682468

View attachment 1682485

View attachment 1682486
Absolutely stunning shots! Love your post shot edits as well! Great composition. ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would say return your device as this is not normal at all...colours with my pro max look fantastic

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Telling other people that they are blind for not seeing what you're seeing is not a good way to win people over. You do realize that colors are very subjective. What you don't like others might love. Report the issue to apple, and move on. Stop berating others.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Owned!!

View attachment 1682467

View attachment 1682468

View attachment 1682485

View attachment 1682486
The photos you have posted, from your 12 Pro Max are stunning. Are the ones that you have posted been post processed through other software or just direct from the phone after they are taken? I am planning on purchasing the iPhone 12 Pro Max from a iPhone 6S+ and really looking forward to the improved camera system in the 12 Pro Max.

Reactions: Lsmachado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.