Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zilsch

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
Whats with the awful, cartoon looking skies? iPhone used to nail the sky, it looks like garbage Android phones now. Actually, now that I look at both, the 11 Pro Max is doing it too. First is the 11 Pro Max, second is the 12 Pro Max. Its not HDR, I have it turned off. Is this an iOS 14 thing? Whatever it is, it needs to go away and never come back.

View attachment 1667252 View attachment 1667253
I agree 100% : jpgs are awfull: overexposed,oversharpened washed out colors. I now only use the raw (hdr turned off totally useless) and proces each picture in photoshop to get a really good result. My previous iphone 6 produced better jpgs without that forced android image fake look images. 40 years experience as a oro photographer. I hope that Apple will correct this in next updates.

Zilsch

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
Okay.... so have you compared your iPhone to another just like it side by side? There shouldn’t be fake looking details like that. Mine look great and I’ve even looked at the photos off my iPhone on my 27” iMac that has the 5k monitor. I hope you don’t have a defective camera(s). I’m glad you told us that you are a photographer, we just assumed otherwise. Apple ProRaw is around the corner, I really want to see that! I’m guessing that there are other photo apps available that do not incorporate apples deep fusion and hdr3, I think ProCamera is one of them. Don’t use the Moment pro camera app, the images from their new app look horrible, especially with high ISO.

so does this “fake look” show on everything that you take a photo of? Indoors and out? Portraits? I agree that the photos take on a weird look when zooming in way past the 100% mark, but that’s with all cameras. I’ll post more of mine so you can compare.
None ov these have been edited. Wide (1x) and 2.5x cameras used
View attachment 1681927

View attachment 1681928
View attachment 1681929
View attachment 1681930
View attachment 1681931
Your three first pictures show the washed out colours that you get with the jpgs.turn of the hdr , use the raw and process them, you will be astounished how much better it can get.

Pearlr

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Whats with the awful, cartoon looking skies? iPhone used to nail the sky, it looks like garbage Android phones now. Actually, now that I look at both, the 11 Pro Max is doing it too. First is the 11 Pro Max, second is the 12 Pro Max. Its not HDR, I have it turned off. Is this an iOS 14 thing? Whatever it is, it needs to go away and never come back.

I am having the same problems with my iPhone 12 Pro. It seems it can’t get green tones right especially in the shade. I could not get remotely close to the bright green tones on jetty rocks. I have tried switching off presets and did not see a difference. So annoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.