Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hey aakshey

Stop telling this lies and say to people that your phones are defective. This is not a issue is normal behavior in oled iPhones. The phones in the apple stores has not the same software they put a software that modify the normal behavior of iPhones because of this you not see this behavior in apple stores , they not the same iPhones software that you have at home. They put full brightness in AB on and off to show all the brightness possible in the store. I check for my self and talk with a apple technician , ok .....
Stop with nonsense arguments and with this lies .

Don’t irritate me. Enjoy your iPhone.

stras_67

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
I am not . I am telling the true ok ??? Stop telling this to people ok ?
Mine 12 Pro is exactly like Malnoth and yours, it increase at every level (10, 20, 30% ...) when I put AB OFF but I tested it in a very dark room I saw clearly the difference but outdoor I don't know if you'll see a difference.

Reactions: Malnoth

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Mine 12 Pro is exactly like Malnoth and yours, it increase at every level (10, 20, 30% ...) when I put AB OFF but I tested it in a very dark room I saw clearly the difference but outdoor I don't know if you'll see a difference.
Exactly.... I have an iPhone 11 Pro max before with this exactly behavior. How I say this is normal in this oleds iPhones to preserve the battery and the old screen lifespan. And the iPhones in apple stores are calibrated to full brightness in AB on or off in all levels.

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Just test again in a normal room. Not outdoors. But indoors. During the day time. If it doesn’t change in brightness (below 100% level) it might be normal.

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Just test again in a normal room. Not outdoors. But indoors. During the day time. If it doesn’t change in brightness (below 100% level) it might be normal.
Come on man stop with nonsense arguments. How I say I talk with an apple technician.
I repeat for you "THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM , IS A NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF OLEDS IPHONES TO PRESERV THE BATTERY AND THE OLED SCREEN LIFESPAN"
CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ??? OR IS TOO DIFFICULT TO YOU .......
Overall I am done with your nonsense arguments and lies . good night and sleep well sir...

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
Come on man stop with nonsense arguments. How I say I talk with an apple technician.
I repeat for you "THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM , IS A NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF OLEDS IPHONES TO PRESERV THE BATTERY AND THE OLED SCREEN LIFESPAN"
CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ??? OR IS TOO DIFFICULT TO YOU .......
Overall I am done with your nonsense arguments and lies . good night and sleep well sir...

So, a few phones automatically increasing the screen brightness after auto brightness is turned off, while most phones don't, is normal behavior?

So, how can INCREASING the screen brightness preserve battery life?

Let's be honest. Apple technicians don't know everything. We, as a community, combined, know more than any Apple technician out there. Because we're the guys that use these phones for years.

Reactions: aakshey

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I think what's happening here is people can't understand what Aakshay is trying to say.

I had an iPhone X with the said issue.

The problem is, on some phones, if you set the brightness to say 50%, and turn auto brightness off, after 10-20 seconds the screen will get brighter. That means that you're not getting the max brightness your phone is capable of. You don't need to stay outdoors to see this. You don't need to increase/decrease the light in your room to see the screen brightness change. The brightness increases without an increase in ambient light. And it shouldn't have to, because auto brightness is off.

Someone here said he didn't measure it with a lux meter. You don't need one. It's really noticable.

This whole topic is about low iPhone 12 Pro screen brightness. This could be it. That's why he's telling you guys to try this out. If the brightness increases, then that's why your screen is dim.

Last edited:
Reactions: aakshey

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I think what's happening here is people can't understand what Aakshay is trying to say.

I had an iPhone X the said issue.

The problem is, on some phones, if you set the brightness to say 50%, and turn auto brightness off, after 10-20 seconds the screen will get brighter. That means that you're not getting the max brightness your phone is capable of. You don't need to stay outdoors to see this. You don't need to increase/decrease the light in your room to see the screen brightness change. The brightness increases without an increase in ambient light. And it shouldn't have to, because auto brightness is off.

Someone here said he didn't measure it with a lux meter. You don't need one. It's really noticable.

This whole topic is about low iPhone 12 Pro screen brightness. This could be it. That's why he's telling you guys to try this out. If the brightness increases, then that's why your screen is dim.

Correct. Thank You.

fernando7

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2017
As to why I can’t exchange? Because service sucks in India and there are no returns. Unless it fails their diagnostics, 99% they just send it back to you.

In India they don’t try to manually understand problems 99% of the time. It’s just the diagnostics.

Earpiece not working - Buy a new one unless it fails diagnostics.

There are no Apple stores in India. Just Apple authorised service centers which suck.

And in my case the problem isn’t severe. 90% equals to real 75% for me. So not as big a deal. Something I can live with. Nothing I need to fight over.
Hey, I am from India. Got my iPhone 12 pro from US.
My phone has the exact behaviour you are talking about.
How do I explain the "Faulty ALS" to service centre guys? Also, for this issue will they replace the display or the phone ?
My phone also has the "yellow display" and "raised black" issue.
Thanks

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hey, I am from India. Got my iPhone 12 pro from US.
My phone has the exact behaviour you are talking about.
How do I explain the "Faulty ALS" to service centre guys? Also, for this issue will they replace the display or the phone ?
My phone also has the "yellow display" and "raised black" issue.
Thanks
Yellow display might be normal.
raised black - no idea what that is.
Which city are you in? My guy is in Delhi.
Is brightness an issue for you or is it just for achieving perfection? PM me.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
More proof from 12 PM owner
258624C3-2A28-4213-B6C0-179C5D07C9F5.png

• Haha
Reactions: theliellama

JJ.90

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I have been finding my 12 Pro screen a bit dim especially when I’m outside. After reading through this thread I tried out the following test

1. with auto brightness ON I manually set the brightness to around 50%
2. turned auto brightness OFF and stayed on the settings menu. Using light mode so a fairly white screen
3. the screen got noticeably brighter about 10-15 seconds after flipping the switch

I tried this exact same test on my girlfriends 12 (non pro) and it didn’t get brighter. Both on same iOS, both have True Tone and nightshift off. I set both up so the settings are more or less identical.

So, does that mean my 12 Pro is defective? My girlfriends screen seems to be yellower than mine and I’m concerned that if I get a replacement I might get the yellow tint issue instead or even as well.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I have been finding my 12 Pro screen a bit dim especially when I’m outside. After reading through this thread I tried out the following test

1. with auto brightness ON I manually set the brightness to around 50%
2. turned auto brightness OFF and stayed on the settings menu. Using light mode so a fairly white screen
3. the screen got noticeably brighter about 10-15 seconds after flipping the switch

I tried this exact same test on my girlfriends 12 (non pro) and it didn’t get brighter. Both on same iOS, both have True Tone and nightshift off. I set both up so the settings are more or less identical.

So, does that mean my 12 Pro is defective? My girlfriends screen seems to be yellower than mine and I’m concerned that if I get a replacement I might get the yellow tint issue instead or even as well.

Correct. Yours is defective. Being yellow isn’t a defect, that’s normal.

Reactions: Nisaja

JJ.90

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Thanks, not sure what my options are due to COVID-19 all of the Apple stores are closed here. Guess I’ll contact them.

I know people have said their display is yellower than their previous phone and that is just how it is, no problem. But what I’m saying is that my girlfriends 12 is noticeably yellower than my 12 Pro

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks, not sure what my options are due to COVID-19 all of the Apple stores are closed here. Guess I’ll contact them.

I know people have said their display is yellower than their previous phone and that is just how it is, no problem. But what I’m saying is that my girlfriends 12 is noticeably yellower than my 12 Pro
That’s luck.

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
That’s luck.
Ok sir if this is a true problem how does apple is not concern about this because is a large spread problem ? And what is the chance that I had an iPhone 11 Pro max with this same problem and buy an iPhone 12 pro max with same exactly problem ???? (This happens to me)
Explain this to me ok ???
You are conclusing with no real evidences . Putting posts of your friend in India mostly probably fake posts....
What do you gain with this ??? Explain this to me because I can understand what's the reason of that ???
Only to say that the phones are defective....

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Ok sir if this is a true problem how does apple is not concern about this because is a large spread problem ? And what is the chance that I had an iPhone 11 Pro max with this same problem and buy an iPhone 12 pro max with same exactly problem ???? (This happens to me)
Explain this to me ok ???
You are conclusing with no real evidences . Putting posts of your friend in India mostly probably fake posts....
What do you gain with this ??? Explain this to me because I can understand what's the reason of that ???
Only to say that the phones are defective....
So now you’re accusing? What will I get from that? Ever thought about it?

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
So now you’re accusing? What will I get from that? Ever thought about it?
I want real evidences not some post of your friends. Ok ? I went to Apple Store RUN various test and nothing is detected . The phones in The store are running with different software there are no Way to compare to Them. I”ll make an appointment in other Apple Store to see this problem thursday ok ? Can you claryfing this to me ? Because i dont see the point ??

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I want real evidences not some post of your friends. Ok ? I went to Apple Store RUN various test and nothing is detected . The phones in The store are running with different software there are no Way to compare to Them. I”ll make an appointment in other Apple Store to see this problem thursday ok ? Can you claryfing this to me ? Because i dont see the point ??
They don’t run any different software. You’re fooling yourself. Their iPhones work as intended. Maybe yours doesn’t. That’s the only thing.

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
And do you read My post ? I say that i went to an Apple Store and talk with an expeciaoist . Ok ?
I want real evidence that this is a problem not some Assumptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
And do you read My post ? I say that i went to an Apple Store and talk with an expeciaoist . Ok ?
I want real evidence that this is a problem not some Assumptions.

You need to go to an Apple store and test on 10+ OLED iPhones. Don’t talk to me until you test on 10+. I’m sure at least 6-7 will work fine. Some might be defective. Because the issue is widespread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.