Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xJohnyyx

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
I urge people not to freak or take action based on this guy's "test". I sit here with my new Mini that I have replaced due to an unrelated issue and it behaves exactly the same. So does my friend's Mini. This is normal, don't let yourselves be gaslighted.

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
He doesn’t know jack. Rest is up to you.
Read this my friend:

Demo devices at Apple Stores run on special software that differs from the software being used on iPhones that are for sale. Apple's anti-theft measures also aren't new, the company has long implemented measures to disable and track display items from being stolen.

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
Please understand, you can't trust actual Apple techs. Only a random internet forum poster is to be trusted.
Read this:

Demo devices at Apple Stores run on special software that differs from the software being used on iPhones that are for sale. Apple's anti-theft measures also aren't new, the company has long implemented measures to disable and track display items from being stolen.

• Haha
Reactions: theliellama

Spocky

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2015
Read this:

I’ve read it, what’s you point?

Gus_BZ

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
I’ve read it, what’s you point?
The iPhones at apple. store have different software with different configurations to works as demo devices one of them is the brightness that works with full capacity with or without AB. :D

Reactions: Malnoth

JJ.90

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I urge people not to freak or take action based on this guy's "test". I sit here with my new Mini that I have replaced due to an unrelated issue and it behaves exactly the same. So does my friend's Mini. This is normal, don't let yourselves be gaslighted.
Interesting. Just to clarify your mini is doing what I described in my post #165? Brightness increases after turning auto brightness off?

I want to be sure that it’s normal behaviour because my display is perfect when I have AB off, but when it’s on my screen can be quite dull. Don’t want to play display lotto over nothing

Reactions: Hertz77

xJohnyyx

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Interesting. Just to clarify your mini is doing what I described in my post #165? Brightness increases after turning auto brightness off?

I want to be sure that it’s normal behaviour because my display is perfect when I have AB off, but when it’s on my screen can be quite dull. Don’t want to play display lotto over nothing
Yes. I do believe that the change in brightness is normal. That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't an issue with your phone. I just wouldn't base it on that. When I'm outside, my phone will also be brighter with 100%/ABon than inside with the same values. Presumably as bright as it gets inside with AB turned off.

JJ.90

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Yes. I do believe that the change in brightness is normal. That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't an issue with your phone. I just wouldn't base it on that. When I'm outside, my phone will also be brighter with 100%/ABon than inside with the same values. Presumably as bright as it gets inside with AB turned off.
Alright thanks man. The only time mine seems to have an issue is outside during a somewhat bright day with AB on. Then it’s like AB won’t allow it to get bright enough to offset the ambient light. Other than that AB inside seems fine, but AB off is definitely brighter. To be honest I was starting to wonder if the screen protector could be effecting the ambient light sensor. Eh I’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: Hertz77

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016

It's not normal. Out of the OLED iPhones, I've had an X, XS Max, 11 Pro Max and now a 11 Pro. Out of those phones only my X had this issue. The brightness increasing at 100% when outdoors is normal. It's supposed to do that when AB on.

But, the brightness increasing when indoors, with AB off, and the same brightness slider level, is NOT normal.

This is why people are complaining that their screens are dim.

Hertz77

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2015
It's not normal. Out of the OLED iPhones, I've had an X, XS Max, 11 Pro Max and now a 11 Pro. Out of those phones only my X had this issue. The brightness increasing at 100% when outdoors is normal. It's supposed to do that when AB on.

But, the brightness increasing when indoors, with AB off, and the same brightness slider level, is NOT normal.

This is why people are complaining that their screens are dim.

I agree - this is happening to me too and it’s an issue. The display is clearly dull compared to previous iPhones and Turning AB off reduces this. But this shouldn’t be the fix as Apple recommends not to turn of AB

• Haha

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
I agree - this is happening to me too and it’s an issue. The display is clearly dull compared to previous iPhones and Turning AB off reduces this. But this shouldn’t be the fix as Apple recommends not to turn of AB

It's definitely not a fix. It just shows the problem.

• Haha

joeshmo222

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2020
Hi!

Anyone else experiencing not that impressive screen brightness on the iPhone 12 Pro when set to maximum? I'm coming from an iPhone X and it seems to me the 12 Pro is not that much better in screen brightness.

I got my iPhone 12 pro yesterday and noticed today it didn’t seem very bright. Nothing worked - not true tone, brightness level, reduce white point, auto brightness, restart.

Finally I just “erase[d] all settings” on my phone. It was kind of a nuclear option as I lost my wallpaper, had to change my passcode due to some outlook provisioning thing I have on device, other inconvenient things, etc. etc., BUT brightness is definitely fixed now.

FWIW I had restored from an iPhone X back up and I have no proof but I suspect this may be related. IIRC it looked bright at the store yesterday and I only noticed a problem today.

Reactions: deific

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
I got my iPhone 12 pro yesterday and noticed today it didn’t seem very bright. Nothing worked - not true tone, brightness level, reduce white point, auto brightness, restart.

Finally I just “erase[d] all settings” on my phone. It was kind of a nuclear option as I lost my wallpaper, had to change my passcode due to some outlook provisioning thing I have on device, other inconvenient things, etc. etc., BUT brightness is definitely fixed now.

FWIW I had restored from an iPhone X back up and I have no proof but I suspect this may be related. IIRC it looked bright at the store yesterday and I only noticed a problem today.
So this was erase all settings only, not all content and settings and set up as new?

deific

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
To anyone considering hardware replacements - if something in software resolves the issue (even if it doesn't make sense) it's unlikely that there is a hardware defect. There are plenty of software bugs over the years and this may be one of them. Use the process of elimination to try and figure out the core issue.

I also experienced issues after migrating from an iPhone X to the 12 Pro and it took a bit of fiddling before it was better for me. For me it was a simple restart, but it sounds like joeshmo222 picked up on some setting that got pulled over that causes quirky behavior.

Bottom line, don't waste your time with a replacement if it's pretty clearly a software issue. If the issue is annoying enough or persists beyond 1 or 2 software updates, try other things first like resetting your settings or going with a full restore.

deific

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
Turn off this , turn off that, disable this disable that......Why am I upgrading I might as well get an iPhone 7
Yes, a good amount of the latest tech these days is released a little prematurely. Also as things get more complex there's more room for bugs/failures. I'm hoping for a good solid release on Mac OS and iOS where they focus mostly on stability and performance instead of features - a Mac OS Snow Leopard of today. Hopefully they will fix all these (or many of these) outstanding bugs that keep making their way into each revision.

0pTicaL

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
Having the same issue here. 'Reduce White Point' is OFF. Auto-Brightness is ON. Brightness slider is at maximum.

When I go into Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Auto-Brightness OFF, wait approx 2-3 seconds and my screen automatically becomes much brighter than with Auto-Brightness ON.

With Auto-Brightness ON, if I shine a flashlight at the Ambient light sensor the screen becomes much brighter, even when the brightness slider is at maximum.

Is this a feature of Auto-Brightness where it limits the maximum brightness while indoors even with the brightness slider at maximum? or do I have a faulty phone?

Maxony

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
Turn off Reduce White Point
Go to Settings —> Accessibility —> Display & Text Size —> Reduce White Point —> Off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.