Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
This exactly. I'm really torn between which one to order. I like every single thing about the mini. But I shoot telephoto ALL THE TIME.

I have considered in the past getting the mini and getting a Moment external telephoto lens. I'm not sure on that. Trying to avoid carrying around more stuff.
The only thing I would change too. Even the standard lens is wider than what I normally shoot with my camera (widest I go is 28mm) and I hate the distortion on the ultra wide so never use it so would probably rather just a single lens. Even the "telephoto" lens focal length in the photography world would be a little short to be considered a true telephoto.

But I don't think I could go back to a bigger phone. I also prefer the colours and Al over the SS.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
How’s the battery life for you?
2FF0C30F-9412-4C6E-8164-BDF229F43E9E.png

this is after the first full day of usage. I’ve been using it fairly often the last hour or so and the battery is at 93% still, which is nice. It’s not that drastically different from the 12P yet. Although I do notice how the battery drained a bit more freely after watching 2-3 videos on YouTube. Some days on the pro, I’d drain the battery insanely quick, others not so much, but I don’t ever really recall worry about making it the full 12-13 hours a day I’m awake. I wish I took a screenshot of the battery life on the 12P but never got to it :/ but I do recall seeing 6 hours of screen time at 1 point and it being low as 3 hours of screen time at one point so with a decent amount of use yesterday it’s about average I’d say. I can recall the older iPhones being much much worse lol

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
Idk why but it doesnt seem as small as it did last year. I'm happy with it with the battery pack in my bag. 5 hours SOT will prob be the norm for most users.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Drosera

macrumors regular
May 9, 2020
I'm going from an SE 2016 to a new 12 Mini for £279 (+£17/month contract for unlimited 5G data).

I'd have liked the extra battery power & storage of 13 Mini, but didn't feel it was worth the extra £400. But now wondering if I sell the 12 Mini new in eBay for ~£479 and make £200 profit, then a £200 difference might be worth it...

Reactions: KayEm6419 and RRC

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I had the 12 Mini, and picked up my 13 Mini on Saturday night, after having very briefly tried a 13 Pro Max. Battery on this 13 Mini is insane for the size, and much better than my 12 Mini was. Could probably get anywhere from 5-8 hours SOT depending on my usage.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Coming from a 7 Plus and using a 13 Pro and 13 Mini: the 13 Mini is so much more appealing. I'm tired of heavy phones that require my hand to be fully spread to hold it. The 13 Mini shows as much content as the 7 plus, just slightly smaller text. The 13 Pro is just too heavy and the camera module is too big.

Battery has been performing better than the 13 Pro bizarrely.

It strongly reminds me of the simpler days of enjoying the 4, 5 and SE.
Jimmy, I recall from previous threads that you had PWM issues with OLED iphones, is this affecting your experience with your new 13 Mini. I get the same issues as well, but turning off Auto brightness and keeping it at 50% and I am completely fine (no headaches or eye pressure etc).

Anyway I'm glad everyone are liking their new 13 Mini's, gonna trade in my 12 mini for it as soon as I get time to go to the Apple store, just not sure whether to get the Starlight or Midnight colour.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Jimmy, I recall from previous threads that you had PWM issues with OLED iphones, is this affecting your experience with your new 13 Mini. I get the same issues as well, but turning off Auto brightness and keeping it at 50% and I am completely fine (no headaches or eye pressure etc).

Anyway I'm glad everyone are liking their new 13 Mini's, gonna trade in my 12 mini for it as soon as I get time to go to the Apple store, just not sure whether to get the Starlight or Midnight colour.
Howdy. While I was able to use the 13 Pro and 13 Mini without feeling eye strain and gritty eyes, also not getting a headache within the first hour - after 1 and a half days usage I ended up waking Sunday morning with a terrible migraine which was behind my right eye and I felt awful all day, couldn't do anything - whole day was a write off!

I know this was the phones because after a days rest I tried using the 13 Pro again for one evening but ended up feeling the head pain coming back much quicker. (50% brightness, true tone off, attention aware off). It was the same last year.

It was even a struggle returning to my 7 Plus as I felt like the lower refresh rate was giving me motion sickness after using the 120hz on the iPhone 13 Pro - my eyes struggled to adjust for a moment.

So they have both been returned to Apple and I'm all out of options. Researching Android phones now.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm super happy with the Mini. It's the phone I always wanted. My favorite iPhone design was probably the 5/5s/1st-gen SE. The Mini feels similar but obviously has a much larger screen. Feels perfect in the hand and very "pocketable". I had some concerns about the battery life, but not anymore after some testing over the weekend. With my usage patterns it will easily last a full day. You can also make some easy tweaks to improve battery life even more without sacrificing anything (dark mode, black wallpapers, disable background app refresh).

I also really like the Apple leather case. Perfect fit, just the right amount of grip, looks like it's part of the phone (I have both phone and case in "midnight").
good advice on background apps - only allow the critical ones. Social media apps will constantly consume your battery power and use a lot of data in the background just by nature of how they work always alerting you on updates convos all that junk.

The real key to improving battery life is using the Focus!

if you can fine tune what you require during sleep, work, reading studying play, dates you name it really came be super powerful, probably more than Siri ever was or shortcuts.

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Do you reckon the upgrade from 12 mini to 13 mini is worth it ? Is the screen better ?

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Do you reckon the upgrade from 12 mini to 13 mini is worth it ? Is the screen better ?
Personally, I’m still trying to justify the upgrade, but in my case it’s basically for shallow reasons (I don’t see the upgrade in ‘tech’ significant at all). I’d like the new ‘Starlight’ colour, and of course the ~20% battery improvement, but other than that I still haven’t been able to justify this upgrade as worth while, as my 12 mini works just great (for my use).

The 13 Mini’s screen is supposed to be significantly brighter than the 12 Mini’s. If that’s an important factor to you, then maybe the upgrade would be worthwhile to you… ?‍♂️

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
I’m thinking that with selling my 12 mini the cost gap isn’t that much to buy the 13 mini . But then again I could easily keep the 12 mini for another year then upgrade to the 14/14pro seeing how the mini is rumoured to be discontinued.

main reason would be battery , do you see a difference in battery life?

Last edited:

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
Would love to see more actual single charge stats. Not seeing many with actual 7 SOT

remmy1234

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
Absolutely loving my 13m. It’s like having my favorite iPhone (5/5SE) all over again. Screen is gorgeous. But that also could be because my 11 pro screen was scratched to hell and back. The 11 pro had a seriously soft glass. It was the most scratch prone phone out of my 4,5,6,7,& 5SE. The 13m does seem easier and more pleasant to look at in low light though.

Reactions: DrTwoFish and RRC

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
this is what I was thinking about doing. Forgot the camera was also upgraded.
The camera profiles are great. I'm a big fan of contrast and often find iPhone photos look a bit washed out in order to correctly expose all elements of a photo. Not any more.

Reactions: RRC and Stev150

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Battery and camera are big jumps imo. Sold my 12 mini for £420. £279 to upgrade. Happy with that.
Bandrews, if you dont mind me asking, where did you sell your 12 mini for £420, that is a really good return. So far the options i have seen are £300 trade in direct with Apple and £238 Cash at CeX (£338 for voucher, but thats no good for me).

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Bandrews, if you dont mind me asking, where did you sell your 12 mini for £420, that is a really good return. So far the options i have seen are £300 trade in direct with Apple and £238 Cash at CeX (£338 for voucher, but thats no good for me).
I always sell through O2 recycle. I usually lock it in the day before the announcement which holds it for two weeks.

Reactions: snipr125

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
View attachment 1850777
this is after the first full day of usage. I’ve been using it fairly often the last hour or so and the battery is at 93% still, which is nice. It’s not that drastically different from the 12P yet. Although I do notice how the battery drained a bit more freely after watching 2-3 videos on YouTube. Some days on the pro, I’d drain the battery insanely quick, others not so much, but I don’t ever really recall worry about making it the full 12-13 hours a day I’m awake. I wish I took a screenshot of the battery life on the 12P but never got to it :/ but I do recall seeing 6 hours of screen time at 1 point and it being low as 3 hours of screen time at one point so with a decent amount of use yesterday it’s about average I’d say. I can recall the older iPhones being much much worse lol

75% from 9AM to 6PM with 4h of screen time before charging at 6PM!! ? damn my 12 mini would need brightness reduced heavily in order to reach 3pm with that start and use.
Thanks for sharing.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I got the 13 PM on launch day. I had an extra line and thought about getting the 13 Mini. A week later I decided against it and went with the 13 Pro since it was only $999[$1300 with AC+] at Best Buy for the 256GB. My niece asked me to buy her iphone and she'll pay me later so she can take advantage of the $100 savings.

I got her the 13 Mini 128GB for $795 with AC+ and a day later she told me she didn't like it. So I went to T-Mobile and gave my old Oneplus 8T 5G as trade in for a 13, and she loves it. Now I'm stuck with 2 iphones and don't need both. Took a whole day to decide.

I couldn't justify keeping a $1300 backup phone so I decided to keep the mini instead. It's small and it's a bit weird going from the Mini to the 13 PM. I'm also having a hard time trying to get use to not having pro motion on it. Since it was just a backup phone, it's not that big of a deal. I honestly could not use this as a daily driver.

I'm only 5"6 so I'm not a big guy but it's just too small for my taste. I could pretend it's a ipod with calling ability. I could just give it to my other niece as well next year.

baking soda

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2020
Italy
Switched from Graphite 13P to Product Red 13M, loving it so far! I'm still tweaking settings to improve battery life, but was travelling yesterday and I was able to reach the traine where I charged the phone easily. Still gonna test my daily usage for this week and then I'll decide whether I'm keeping it or upgrading to regular 13 maybe? I really love the size and weight of the Mini though.

Reactions: RRC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.