Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I got myself a 13 mini today, will give the 12 mini to my mother.

Initial impressions:

1. SCREEN is noticeably cooler than the 12 mini, which was on the warmer side. This screen (with True Tone) is now as great as my 8.
- I checked pure black and grey gradients, the 12 mini showed sort of a reddish band to the left, this 13 mini is neat and flat grey.

2. WEIGHT is noticeably more than 12 mini, but is less than the outgoing 8. I would have liked the weight of the 12 mini, but am totally okay with this as well. Feels well-weighted in the hand.

Speaking of in the hand...

Tried a 13. Loved it, it did not feel as large as it did when I first saw it. But - something unacceptable for me about it:
The resolution is a little larger than the mini, and this forum is rendered exactly the same as on the mini, except for 1 or 2 extra lines of text vertically. But, the 12/ 13 devices are wider, and Apple is being lazy in not making Safari take advantage of that width on the 13 as against the mini. My Android OnePlus Nord2 is sort of a similar width as the 13, and that device renders web pages in a more acceptable fashion. The 13 only looks like a scaled version of mini but with 2 extra lines of text at the bottom. USD 200 for that (in my country)? No way. So, the 13 was out. I want to say here that if Tim's Apple was not lazy and had taken advantage of the extra width of the 13 as against the mini, I would have booked a 13 (here we are booking them, they are not available over the counter for some reason, maybe chip shortage affecting supplies?).

3. BATTERY LIFE is not something I can comment on or about right now, considering it is only a few hours I have had the phone with me and I have just charged it up to 100. Will charge it back to 100 before unplugging and sleeping, to see how much of an overnight drain did I get with this. Sure, the true drain would be reflected in some days, but I should be able to get some idea about the drift.

4. COLOR - I loved the White 12 mini, and I love the Starlight 13 mini more.

All said and done, I think this is a great device and I see no reason to take the larger device, especially when Apple does not take advantage of the extra width. I have taken the Starlight and I am thinking of going commando at home and putting on a case only when I go out (ordered a Golden Brown leather case and contemplating green and cherry too! I am going crazy with the case colours this time for the first time in my life, and I will have to sit and talk myself out of the 2 extra colours - each one costs USD 89 here). I will miss the Saddle Brown profusely.

Here is a photo of my 13 mini in Starlight along with the 12 mini in white. In comparison, the 12 mini looks pinkish. Though the camera system of the 12 mini looks slightly golden in some light and along with Saddle Brown case I loved it. Yet to see how the Golden Brown and Starlight combination looks. The case in the image is Saddle Brown for the 12 mini. While the button positions are same for 12 mini and 13 mini, the camera square is larger and does not fit in the 12 mini case.

IMG20211018161018.jpg

IMG20211018161115.jpg

IMG20211018161540_01.jpg

Last edited:

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I got myself a 13 mini today, will give the 12 mini to my mother.

Initial impressions:

1. SCREEN is noticeably cooler than the 12 mini, which was on the warmer side. This screen (with True Tone) is now as great as my 8.
- I checked pure black and grey gradients, the 12 mini showed sort of a reddish band to the left, this 13 mini is neat and flat grey.

2. WEIGHT is noticeably more than 12 mini, but is less than the outgoing 8. I would have liked the weight of the 12 mini, but am totally okay with this as well. Feels well-weighted in the hand.

Speaking of in the hand...

Tried a 13. Loved it, it did not feel as large as it did when I first saw it. But - something unacceptable for me about it:
The resolution is a little larger than the mini, and this forum is rendered exactly the same as on the mini, except for 1 or 2 extra lines of text vertically. But, the 12/ 13 devices are wider, and Apple is being lazy in not making Safari take advantage of that width on the 13 as against the mini. My Android OnePlus Nord2 is sort of a similar width as the 13, and that device renders web pages in a more acceptable fashion. The 13 only looks like a scaled version of mini but with 2 extra lines of text at the bottom. USD 200 for that (in my country)? No way. So, the 13 was out. I want to say here that if Tim's Apple was not lazy and had taken advantage of the extra width of the 13 as against the mini, I would have booked a 13 (here we are booking them, they are not available over the counter for some reason, maybe chip shortage affecting supplies?).

3. BATTERY LIFE is not something I can comment on or about right now, considering it is only a few hours I have had the phone with me and I have just charged it up to 100. Will charge it back to 100 before unplugging and sleeping, to see how much of an overnight drain did I get with this. Sure, the true drain would be reflected in some days, but I should be able to get some idea about the drift.

4. COLOR - I loved the White 12 mini, and I love the Starlight 13 mini more.

All said and done, I think this is a great device and I see no reason to take the larger device, especially when Apple does not take advantage of the extra width. I have taken the Starlight and I am thinking of going commando at home and putting on a case only when I go out (ordered a Golden Brown leather case and contemplating green and cherry too! I am going crazy with the case colours this time for the first time in my life, and I will have to sit and talk myself out of the 2 extra colours - each one costs USD 89 here). I will miss the Saddle Brown profusely.

Here is a photo of my 13 mini in Starlight along with the 12 mini in white. In comparison, the 12 mini looks pinkish. Though the camera system of the 12 mini looks slightly golden in some light and along with Saddle Brown case I loved it. Yet to see how the Golden Brown and Starlight combination looks. The case in the image is Saddle Brown for the 12 mini. While the button positions are same for 12 mini and 13 mini, the camera square is larger and does not fit in the 12 mini case.

View attachment 1869532

View attachment 1869533
View attachment 1869538
Lovely review and photos... The starlight look really nice in those photos.

And what's with the OnePlus stamps, does it have it on all your photos? That's a bit rubbish.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Lovely review and photos... The starlight look really nice in those photos.

And what's with the OnePlus stamps, does it have it on all your photos? That's a bit rubbish.

Yeah, that is the device I use for some apps that are not on iOS. I do not shoot with the OnePlus at all, if I shoot I do with either my iPhone or my DSLR. It was only to take these photos of the two iPhones at my desk that I picked up the other clicker on my desk.. didn't think they'd plant their god-damn name on the photos.. and I didn't bother with removing it or taking new photos ... since these are only for memories to look back upon. :D

Thank you for the compliment, and yes, I do love the Starlight color a lot. I did love the 'white' on the 12 mini but I love the Starlight more. Amazingly subtle.

Reactions: Zapdoc and RRC

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm late on upgrading ... and not being a shutterbug, just saw this review from Chris Pieta and I gotta say ...

This. Guy. Gets. it!

reduce media consumption, increase productivity/creativity. I'm no socialite, never have been - a geek+awkward but not clueless. I don't have a strong desire to show off me/my life to every wandering sole out there.

My reduction of consuming social media (false name to be honest), has netted me better productivity day/day at work, starting to get back into working out, and learning more - $300US+ per day not even working, my money is beginning to earn its keep lol.

Gonna learn Focus in iOS 15 more as I think this is the KEY factor for any iPhone user concerned at battery life of any model but more about doing things, creating things, not just consuming. After all we're using a 'smart' phone - let's be smart about using it and use it as a tool to help get smarter, right?!

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
I'm late on upgrading ... and not being a shutterbug, just saw this review from Chris Pieta and I gotta say ...

This. Guy. Gets. it!

reduce media consumption, increase productivity/creativity. I'm no socialite, never have been - a geek+awkward but not clueless. I don't have a strong desire to show off me/my life to every wandering sole out there.

My reduction of consuming social media (false name to be honest), has netted me better productivity day/day at work, starting to get back into working out, and learning more - $300US+ per day not even working, my money is beginning to earn its keep lol.

Gonna learn Focus in iOS 15 more as I think this is the KEY factor for any iPhone user concerned at battery life of any model but more about doing things, creating things, not just consuming. After all we're using a 'smart' phone - let's be smart about using it and use it as a tool to help get smarter, right?!

Congrats on the upgrade!

All of the habits, personality, and preferences you've described are all within your control. Not dictated by phone size or iOS features 🙃

The Mini can do all of the things a larger phone can do. And someone with a large phone can be just as productive as someone with a smaller one.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Congrats on the upgrade!

All of the habits, personality, and preferences you've described are all within your control. Not dictated by phone size or iOS features ?

The Mini can do all of the things a larger phone can do. And someone with a large phone can be just as productive as someone with a smaller one.
Agreed,

But I wager many people once given an abundance of anything they like, prefer or want they'll squander it:
Food, cars, cash, women/men, home vs a larger home, land, power, clout/influence ... ALL are within anyone's control for consumption or avoiding greed but add abundance to ONLY them and time prolonged of that ... trust me a very high percentage of people would fail that test on their 1st, 2nd, or even 8th try.

Now limit in any way how much they can consume or the abundance and you'll see a LOT of people come through. making due, sacrifice builds better, stronger more resilience in character or action.

So I ask you why then the need for such massively large phones where screen size is not the ONLY and first 5 top features highlighted since 2016? Hmm.

fitgirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2013
Coming from 11 pro, I feel the size is perfect, sad they are getting ride of it next year. The battery life FEELS on par with the 11 pro, or maybe even better... Only thing I miss was zoom in, but I carry a mirrorless camera with me everywhere so it's not a big deal.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
My wife's came in today, I got to set it up and I am very impressed. Speedy, nice screen, smooth and nice pics. Wife is going to be very happy. My 13PM won't be here for another 2 weeks :(

Last edited:
Reactions: RRC

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I know it's a big battery limitation, but I would absolutely kill for 120 Hz on the Mini, that's the only thing which holds me back from pulling the trigger.

I've really fallen in love with ProMotion. Every time I use it on my friend's iPad Pro and go back to my iPhone, the whole thing feels so incredibly sluggish it hurts.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
Agreed,

But I wager many people once given an abundance of anything they like, prefer or want they'll squander it:
Food, cars, cash, women/men, home vs a larger home, land, power, clout/influence ... ALL are within anyone's control for consumption or avoiding greed but add abundance to ONLY them and time prolonged of that ... trust me a very high percentage of people would fail that test on their 1st, 2nd, or even 8th try.

Now limit in any way how much they can consume or the abundance and you'll see a LOT of people come through. making due, sacrifice builds better, stronger more resilience in character or action.

So I ask you why then the need for such massively large phones where screen size is not the ONLY and first 5 top features highlighted since 2016? Hmm.
It's not that deep, it's a phone ?‍♂️

Reactions: BigDO

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's not that deep, it's a phone ?‍♂️
Of course it is. Saying so only deminishes any thought of it being more such as,

Personal choices of screen size, storage and features amongst any other and let’s not forget colours year after year. That’s jUST a start, I’ll bet you have your preferences there this year just as last and so on and so forth.

Let’s now consider status quo or generally perceived notions of said phone manufacturer, not too long ago a BlackBerry was a status symbol in N. America.

But non of that matters it’s just a phone and we’re all commenting ona. Forums for phones ;)

LeafsFanNL

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
I’m thinking of replacing an iPhone 11 with one of these, mainly to give me a form factor similar to my old iPhone 5. I have a carrier that doesn’t have 5G. I’m guessing LTE is easier on the battery. I’m wondering how much of a factor this is?

Reactions: JM

taxi_driver

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
I paid 79 + tax after a trade in promo with t-mobile/best buy, well worth it even coming from a 12 mini. didn't need it but the battery life is definitely noticeable

Reactions: DeepIn2U and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
EC955834-3CB2-4D95-9627-1341D344FECE.jpeg
I love my 13 mini.

The ONLY thing that is obnoxious (and I saw a thread on it with the 12 pro last year) is that the camera cannot focus when close to objects. The iphones of the past were able to focus on things about *3" (.075) away, but now I have to be about *6" (.15m) away... Bummed I can't do my manual "portrait" shots anymore.

*edit. Just tested. I can still get my manual “portrait” shots, I just have to be a bit further away vs. the old phones. I’ll live ?

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I’m thinking of replacing an iPhone 11 with one of these, mainly to give me a form factor similar to my old iPhone 5. I have a carrier that doesn’t have 5G. I’m guessing LTE is easier on the battery. I’m wondering how much of a factor this is?
I’m going through the testing of 5g auto vs. LTE now. I can report back here once I see what happens today. (2 days of 5g auto, and 2 days of LTE only)

Reactions: Pilot Jones

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I’m going through the testing of 5g auto vs. LTE now. I can report back here once I see what happens today. (2 days of 5g auto, and 2 days of LTE only)

Curious to see how your results turn out!

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I love it for the most part. Just a few nits:

1. FaceID seems slower/not as sensitive as iPhone 11. I have to place it almost the same level as my face, it doesn’t recognize when holding it at chest level (I’ve rescanned my face in both good and not so good lighting to no effect)

2. 5G is no different from LTE for normal email, messaging, social apps, web surfing. In fact in some situations the latency is slower because the phone tries to decide whether to latch on to 5G or LTE (there might be a 1-2 second delay as it vacillates)

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I love it for the most part. Just a few nits:

1. FaceID seems slower/not as sensitive as iPhone 11. I have to place it almost the same level as my face, it doesn’t recognize when holding it at chest level (I’ve rescanned my face in both good and not so good lighting to no effect)

2. 5G is no different from LTE for normal email, messaging, social apps, web surfing. In fact in some situations the latency is slower because the phone tries to decide whether to latch on to 5G or LTE (there might be a 1-2 second delay as it vacillates)
I think I may be experiencing the same thing with FaceID but only it situations where with the 11 I was thinking “how the heck did that just unlock?? I was barely looking looking at the screen”

But the 13mini seems to be working great for me. There haven’t been any instances where I felt “this isn’t working well”. But yeah vs. the 11 it seems to be less sensitive. Could be the new faceid… no idea.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Curious to see how your results turn out!
Okay let’s try this…. Monday and Tuesday (#3+4) is 5g auto on, and Wednesday and Thursday (#1+2) is LTE only. All four days is almost exclusively on Wi-Fi at work, and WI-FI at home. (The cell chip is still looking for service though, right?). *Oops and I used low power mode all of the days.

The fifth and sixth photo are from days ago, where it seemed I was getting battery life (same work and home conditions) with LTE only on, so curious what any of you might glean from the data.

It seems that the 5g auto didn’t really have much of an impact being on just looking at past four days (first four images). What do you think?

Attachments

• 8D977C56-1D80-462C-8A05-DD2D7E06C9DB.png
    8D977C56-1D80-462C-8A05-DD2D7E06C9DB.png
    941.4 KB · Views: 91
  • EC29A109-E2D2-4C55-AF32-BB6566DCB6C0.png
    EC29A109-E2D2-4C55-AF32-BB6566DCB6C0.png
    937 KB · Views: 95
  • 3E7EDFA7-C176-4993-BED8-7BCEA61AA9B9.png
    3E7EDFA7-C176-4993-BED8-7BCEA61AA9B9.png
    931.9 KB · Views: 88
  • CD504AA3-4A98-44BF-B4E6-6FBADF6B2EBA.png
    CD504AA3-4A98-44BF-B4E6-6FBADF6B2EBA.png
    932.1 KB · Views: 95
  • C3B236E8-4F65-4664-8DE3-B083A396CAEB.png
    C3B236E8-4F65-4664-8DE3-B083A396CAEB.png
    929.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 7DE7B600-79BE-46C4-AD50-3AA56666488C.png
    7DE7B600-79BE-46C4-AD50-3AA56666488C.png
    939.4 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.