Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Always on display doesn't mean anything to me since it turns off when it's in a pocket. Don't get what the big deal is with that.

Benjin87

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Yeah I know. I just figured I would get 2 hours less or whatever. Instead every time I look at the battery % in the top right it’s down a %. Probably every 5 mins
Yep, same here.
I took my 14 off charge this morNing… 2+ hour phone call, other usual daily’s and im at 66% atm.
I’m going to monitor this honestly, I will mention it to Apple, if for nothing other than to let them be aware.
New generation, ass production, things will/do go wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

nate320

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Yeah I know. I just figured I would get 2 hours less or whatever. Instead every time I look at the battery % in the top right it’s down a %. Probably every 5 mins
My 14PM battery experienced this rate of drain while downloading all of my crap from iCloud and transferring the basic clone from the old phone. I also put it on a 20W Anker Nano and it was very slow to charge while putting off some solid heat.

However, it has since normalized after a few hours and is still likely getting used to its new life in this frightening world.

There’s just so much going on in the background of a new iPhone in terms of indexing and sorting through 1,000s of emails or messages or pictures, etc. There’s even stuff going on in the background of the background.

Since you stated you didn’t come here for words of encouragement, I tried my best to leave you with some logical statements.

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
You probably would’ve had better responses if you gave us more info like the battery graph and if you set it up as new and the like. Also you asked for battery experiences literally the same day you got it even when you’re aware there’d be a lot of stuff going on in the background that’d be a hit on the battery. Our hands are tied without any info to actually figure out the issue.
Sorry. I encrypted backed up my 13PM on my mac and then I used that to restore this new phone. Here is the battery chart. I am not a newbie to iPhones. I’ve had almost every single iPhone, and I know I am not doing anything wrong. All the settings that waste battery are off. I started this more to just find out if the smaller phones had really bad batteries. Like anyone who had or has a 13 pro, if your battery drops really easily.Coming from the max phones, I can’t remember how bad my last non max phones battery was. I didn’t start this to find out I was doing something wrong, more of if this is common for smaller 3200 mAH batteries or i have a defective battery. That’s all, with that said I am happy with what info I did receive on this. I’m going to give it a week, and if it doesn’t get better I’ll return it and come November when there’s more available Ill go to a 14PM

Attachments

• 486368F7-DA5C-4180-9A19-ABAF71DF0EBD.png
    486368F7-DA5C-4180-9A19-ABAF71DF0EBD.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 244

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Yep, same here.
I took my 14 off charge this morNing… 2+ hour phone call, other usual daily’s and im at 66% atm.
I’m going to monitor this honestly, I will mention it to Apple, if for nothing other than to let them be aware.
New generation, ass production, things will/do go wrong.
66% isn’t bad! I went from 96% to 8% and I did nothing less than my average

Benjin87

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
66% isn’t bad! I went from 96% to 8% and I did nothing less than my average
Oh, by no means saying it‘s “bad”. Moreso pointing out the draining therein.
Yeah, I’m going to hazard a guess and say dodgy battery?
Have you spoken to Apple Support about this?

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Oh, by no means saying it‘s “bad”. Moreso pointing out the draining therein.
Yeah, I’m going to hazard a guess and say dodgy battery?
Have you spoken to Apple Support about
no I was going to give it a few days just in case

Benjin87

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Thank you for your logical statements. My battery

no I was going to give it a few days just in case
Good thinking. Then at least, there’s been enough time with iCloud, new iPhone etc, so take away anything irrelevant.
Process of elimination.

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Good thinking. Then at least, there’s been enough time with iCloud, new iPhone etc, so take away anything irrelevant.
Process of elimination.
Yeah we’ll see. I’ll come back here in a few days and let everyone know if it got better or if I talked with apple

nate320

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Sorry. I encrypted backed up my 13PM on my mac and then I used that to restore this new phone. Here is the battery chart. I am not a newbie to iPhones. I’ve had almost every single iPhone, and I know I am not doing anything wrong. All the settings that waste battery are off. I started this more to just find out if the smaller phones had really bad batteries. Like anyone who had or has a 13 pro, if your battery drops really easily.Coming from the max phones, I can’t remember how bad my last non max phones battery was. I didn’t start this to find out I was doing something wrong, more of if this is common for smaller 3200 mAH batteries or i have a defective battery. That’s all, with that said I am happy with what info I did receive on this. I’m going to give it a week, and if it doesn’t get better I’ll return it and come November when there’s more available Ill go to a 14PM
Okay take what I said and flush it. That’s a pretty steep battery hill over a decent amount of time; I understand why you posted and am also definitely curious about what your poor phone is working so hard for.

My chart shows that steep trajectory but then I put it on the charger and it finished its business. Then you can see where it depletes at a sort of normal rate. I dunno man—my only insight is maybe my phone got done with what it needed to do while charging? But getting an apples to apples comparison of the scenario is impossible, especially knowing you transferred from the Mac.

Attachments

• 306E2312-6471-4D9B-B6F2-3018FCD00356.png
    306E2312-6471-4D9B-B6F2-3018FCD00356.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 140

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Okay take what I said and flush it. That’s a pretty steep battery hill over a decent amount of time; I understand why you posted and am also definitely curious about what your poor phone is working so hard for.

My chart shows that steep trajectory but then I put it on the charger and it finished its business. Then you can see where it depletes at a sort of normal rate. I dunno man—my only insight is maybe my phone got done with what it needed to do while charging? But getting an apples to apples comparison of the scenario is impossible, especially knowing you transferred from the Mac.
Yes this phone was acting super weird. Ever since I got back on Wi-Fi and charged it up to 28% it has only dropped back to 23% in an hour or so. The thing that confused me was how it would drop like 5% in a few mins then go 15 or so mins without losing a single percentage. And the whole, I restarted it and it lost 4%, went from 44% to 40% from restart…. It must have been the fact those iCloud Photos were paused waiting to upload. I really think even though they were paused, the phone was trying to send them to the cloud, but who knows. I’ll report back after a full day tomorrow and see if I have better battery

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I had 3000 iCloud Photos paused synching. But they were paused…. Like this battery doesn’t make any sense. Like for an example I went into my apartment for 5 mins. Clicked around and watched 3 mins of a YouTube video and then left. The battery went down 4-5%. Then I went on my daily incense Pokémon go walk. Didn’t drop a single % for 7 ish mins then for the next 13 it dropped 5-6%… like it doesn’t drop % in any logical order. Why did it lose more while I was on Wi-Fi then when I was on 4G…. I’m thinking it could be the iOS 16.0.1 update
Gotcha. I’d have it plugged in tonight and then see how it performs with your normal usage tomorrow. If you think there is still an issue after tomorrow call up Apple Support. I’ve always found them to be extremely helpful. I’d venture to say if you still have issue and troubleshoot with them without any resolution, they will send you a new phone - almost guaranteed. That’s been my experience at least. Good luck.

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Gotcha. I’d have it plugged in tonight and then see how it performs with your normal usage tomorrow. If you think there is still an issue after tomorrow call up Apple Support. I’ve always found them to be extremely helpful. I’d venture to say if you still have issue and troubleshoot with them without any resolution, they will send you a new phone - almost guaranteed. That’s been my experience at least. Good luck.
Will do thank you!

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
My 14PM battery experienced this rate of drain while downloading all of my crap from iCloud and transferring the basic clone from the old phone. I also put it on a 20W Anker Nano and it was very slow to charge while putting off some solid heat.

However, it has since normalized after a few hours and is still likely getting used to its new life in this frightening world.

There’s just so much going on in the background of a new iPhone in terms of indexing and sorting through 1,000s of emails or messages or pictures, etc. There’s even stuff going on in the background of the background.

Since you stated you didn’t come here for words of encouragement, I tried my best to leave you with some logical statements.
exactly. My 14 ProMax did much of what you noticed while doing all the indexing, copying from old phone (I did Quick Start) on my MagSafe charger phone kept getting hot and then it would go off the charger and then reconnect. So I put it on a lightning charger instead and the charge stayed stable but dropped a we bit there was indeed a ton of stuff going on. Its all done, backed up to my finder on my MacBook now and behaving well and charging nicely. I had a notice in battery settings that due to the heat (obviously from all the going on) it was stopping charging.

Yeah I am happy with my 14 ProMax now that we are past it adjusting to its new "frightening world" LOL I forgot my 13 did some of this last year in my Quick Start from my 12 ProMax.

Reactions: Fred Zed

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
The graph shows over 6hrs of Screen On usage so not sure how you calculated 3hr usage to get to 8% unless I misread it. Also, it doesn't show the usage of the apps so check for the top two apps on the list. The graph doesn't show much irregularities either as battery drain isn't always linear. Whenever there's a graphic intensive app being used it drains faster and tends to flatline for a few mins once it's closed like you see in those couple big dips and then flatlines after. It's completely normal.
I'd suggest leaving it overnight on a charger for a couple days so all the AI stuff will get done in the background and when you see things improving you may try to drain the battery completely and charge it to full to help further. And coming from a PM to a Pro you should expect some hit due to the lower battery capacity and smaller chassis which might not be as effective at heat dissipation. And that could be one of the reasons why you might not see the big dips on the larger PM as they tend to stay cooler than their smaller siblings.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This is the same reason why people think the new versions of iOS use more battery. After every version of iOS, you will see multiple posts complaining about battery drain. It’s because it’s doing whatever background tasks for the newly installed operating system.

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
I am not iPhone authority, if you transfer over all your program, pictures, user data etc… to the new iPhone wouldn’t it take a while to index and use up your battery faster? I think I read that before.

I have been seeing on the forums people complaining about heat which sounds like initial indexing.

I am transferring 300+ GB to my new 14 Pro so I do expect the battery to take a hit for a few days while it indexes.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
You should give it at least a couple weeks before coming to the conclusion that you have a battery problem.

If issues still persist, just return it and buy another one.

Reactions: turbochgd

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
I wouldn’t expect stellar battery life on day 1. I experienced this when I first got my 13 Pro Max. After a few weeks my battery life became better and now I can juice out 8+/- hours and have like 50% left end of day.

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
I too noticed this yesterday.
I did a clean install, no restore from backup.

Turned the phone on at ~ 2pm when i got home from the apple store. it had around 80% charge.
Light usage throughout the day, it died before 9pm (i let it go to 0 on purpose so it could doa full charge cycle overnight).

Woke up at 6.30, 30 minutes lifght reading, and i've been out for a coffee & breakfast. It's currently at 86% already. On my 13 Pro, I was still above 90% at lunch time for a similar morning. There's nothing syncing but it's a noticable difference compared to last year.

Looking at the battery app, Find My is sucking out 18%! That's abnormally high

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.