Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinito

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
Sold my iphone 14 pro which i used for 2 months. Bought iphone 14 and im getting best expirience ever in ios gaming. Maybe u should do that too... Hopefuly they will continue to make 60hz iphones, i wonder what iphone 15 regular would look like and with what specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: cha0z_

cha0z_

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
Sold my iphone 14 pro which i used for 2 months. Bought iphone 14 and im getting best expirience ever in ios gaming. Maybe u should do that too... Hopefuly they will continue to make 60hz iphones, i wonder what iphone 15 regular would look like and with what specs.
Yep, part of the reason why it's not talked too much about it is that currently only 4 models from the many currently fully supported are affected: 13 pro, 13 pro max, 14 pro and 14 pro max. Only pro motion devices and not all games are having issues on them leading to even less motivation from apple to fix it + naturally less coverage on the issue from media/tech tubers and such.

I also suspect that apple fixed actually something/changed something to make pro motion overall better than shut down "hack" used by the developers to fast/easy implement pro motion support when it first came out. Mostly pro motion support games are affected (even if you set them to 60Hz). Devs just don't want to make the needed massive code changes nor they have the resources to do so and wash hands with apple and their change starting with ios 16.

Wild rift was game I played each day for hours, stopped playing as the fun was not there when you are grandmaster soloq only competitive player and you have stutters/freezes all the time. Contacted Riot last October first time and few times after - each time they told me they know about the issue and work on it. TBH it's skeleton crew almost 100% for that game as it flopped by riot standards. If massive code changes are needed it won't happen.

Other affected games are dead cells, COD and many other pro motion support games. You set them to 60Hz and doesn't matter, if it supports pro motion, it hits the code that leads to the frametime issues/stutters/FPS drops.

infinito

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
Yep, part of the reason why it's not talked too much about it is that currently only 4 models from the many currently fully supported are affected: 13 pro, 13 pro max, 14 pro and 14 pro max. Only pro motion devices and not all games are having issues on them leading to even less motivation from apple to fix it + naturally less coverage on the issue from media/tech tubers and such.

I also suspect that apple fixed actually something/changed something to make pro motion overall better than shut down "hack" used by the developers to fast/easy implement pro motion support when it first came out. Mostly pro motion support games are affected (even if you set them to 60Hz). Devs just don't want to make the needed massive code changes nor they have the resources to do so and wash hands with apple and their change starting with ios 16.

Wild rift was game I played each day for hours, stopped playing as the fun was not there when you are grandmaster soloq only competitive player and you have stutters/freezes all the time. Contacted Riot last October first time and few times after - each time they told me they know about the issue and work on it. TBH it's skeleton crew almost 100% for that game as it flopped by riot standards. If massive code changes are needed it won't happen.

Other affected games are dead cells, COD and many other pro motion support games. You set them to 60Hz and doesn't matter, if it supports pro motion, it hits the code that leads to the frametime issues/stutters/FPS drops.
Yeah i've played wild rift and codm on my iphone 12 pro. I actually regret selling it, but at least on regular models games run smooth. Pro models should have premium expirience while gaming and such. Tbh its quite a shame. Had to sell new iph 14 pro because of this minor bugs. I belive they could fix it easy, but maybe it may affect some other implementations they added, dont know rly. All games run smooth on regular iphone 14.
On iphone 14 pro i had stutters even while sliding on home screen, it was a bit annoying.
If they ever fix it (i belive they will) im going back to iph 14 pro. Lets just hope it would be soon

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Something I wanted to point out. I tried my friend's S23 Ultra to see how gaming performance was, and surprisingly it had the same stuttering issues as the iPhone ProMotion displays. The solution to this on the Samsung phone was to disable the variable refresh rate in settings and lock it to 60fps or 120fps. Then it became perfectly smooth. So the issue in IOS is definitely due to the variable refresh rates not locking itself when it comes to games.

alygholam

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2023
Something I wanted to point out. I tried my friend's S23 Ultra to see how gaming performance was, and surprisingly it had the same stuttering issues as the iPhone ProMotion displays. The solution to this on the Samsung phone was to disable the variable refresh rate in settings and lock it to 60fps or 120fps. Then it became perfectly smooth. So the issue in IOS is definitely due to the variable refresh rates not locking itself when it comes to games.
Actually I had the same problem back in 2021 on my S20 and it was also stuttering on 60fps and 120fps and since then I’ve been reporting the issue to Riot but no improvement thinking it was a hardware issue i switched to iPhone 14 Pro and still have the same issue

coved

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
anyone have tried IOS17 or ios16.6 on Iphone 13Pro max ? I m at 15.7 and so afraid to updating the ios and have FPS issue again. I only play wild rift at 60hz. Back to 16.1, the stuttering was so bad so I switched back to 15.7. Sad thing is my apple watch is at newest system, my watch wont work without updating the phone to ios16.

NeoRock096

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2023
I think the issue is finally fixed (at least for me)

I totally forgot about this issue for a couple of months since in first iOS 17 beta there was no solution, BUT right now I’m on latest developer beta and suddenly in “Hit The Island” there are no stutters! I am honestly in shock and tomorrow I will also check other games.

Fatwalrus93

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
I think the issue is finally fixed (at least for me)

I totally forgot about this issue for a couple of months since in first iOS 17 beta there was no solution, BUT right now I’m on latest developer beta and suddenly in “Hit The Island” there are no stutters! I am honestly in shock and tomorrow I will also check other games.
Did you check other games??

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
I’ll be trading in my iPhone 14 PM for an iPhone 15 plus. Even the latest iOS 17 beta doesn’t fix the issue. A year of this stutter all because you can’t lock the refresh rate.

Reactions: herzozo

NeoRock096

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2023
Did you check other games??
Yeah, in COD there are still some fps drops but it’s like 50/50 for 120 and 60, and in asphalt 9 I cannot tell, the game is pretty smooth anyway. So the issue is not totally fixed but it is better, because earlier even Hit The Island was laggy as hell from the start and now even after 5+ minutes it is stable 120 fps. Waiting for the release of final version of iOS 17.

AugustooD

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2023
This has to be a joke. I have now updated to iOS 17 in Brazil 2PM GT-3, and the FPS continues DROP issue in Wild Rift I try into training mode and the fps drops from 60 to 54 and stays at 57-58, I set it to 120hz, the fps drops from 120 to 105-111 on an IPHONE 14 PRO.

Reactions: irrvrsl

coved

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2023
This has to be a joke. I have now updated to iOS 17 in Brazil 2PM GT-3, and the FPS continues DROP issue in Wild Rift I try into training mode and the fps drops from 60 to 54 and stays at 57-58, I set it to 120hz, the fps drops from 120 to 105-111 on an IPHONE 14 PRO.
I think I will keep 15.7 for a bit longer now. very disappointed to Apple.

Reactions: irrvrsl and herzozo

Mesarind

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
Another year, new iPhone, same issue

“A17 Pro is an entirely new class of iPhone chip that delivers our best graphics performance by far. Mobile games will look and feel so immersive”
Ahahahahahaha!! 12:47 video timing looks and feel so immersive.

Last edited:

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
So basically long story short, no point updating to iOS 17 for M2 iPads either then if these dumbasses haven't sorted it out.

Nice work Apple, make some more self-gratifying videos about nature etc. instead of fixing basic common sense things like the freaking refresh rate.

ABCBionic

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2023
Is there any hope that this problem will be solved? Playing Wild Rift is absolutely torture… Heeeeeey Apple why are you sleeping?:mad:

Reactions: herzozo

Neylo

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Hello, I had a 13 pm 2 days ago I bought a 14 pm it is incredible how badly Genshin Impact works and any game has constant shuttering I read in several forums that this is already a hardware problem I see people complaining about iOS 16 I guess there is no longer any solution right?

Reactions: FILIPSN007

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Hello, I had a 13 pm 2 days ago I bought a 14 pm it is incredible how badly Genshin Impact works and any game has constant shuttering I read in several forums that this is already a hardware problem I see people complaining about iOS 16 I guess there is no longer any solution right?
Yeah the game seems to work smoothly on the 13 pro and the 15 pro but something about the 14 pro makes it lag when using touch controls.

Reactions: Neylo

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
I've reported the stutter on touch bug to the UK Apple Support 2 days ago and they have not even heard of it...

Neylo

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
I've reported the stutter on touch bug to the UK Apple Support 2 days ago and they have not even heard of it...

I reported to Genshin Impact yesterday and they told me that there are no complaints filed about that, how can that be?

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
I reported to Genshin Impact yesterday and they told me that there are no complaints filed about that, how can that be?
Strange, although not that surprised when it’s about a specific game.
My report is generic, not related to any one game and they still didn’t find anything.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I play a lot of Mario Kart.. it was great on my XS Max, but it hitches quite a bit on my 14 Pro. Just got it today. I locked the fps to 60 and it still sucks. Running the latest iOS 16. Pretty lame :)

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
I play a lot of Mario Kart.. it was great on my XS Max, but it hitches quite a bit on my 14 Pro. Just got it today. I locked the fps to 60 and it still sucks. Running the latest iOS 16. Pretty lame :)
Thing is, the limit frame rate option doesn't lock it, it only limits it. It does not disable the variable refresh rate algorithm where the bug lies I suspect. There's just no way to get around this bug on a Pro iPhone.

• Sad
Reactions: freeagent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.