Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Can anyone tell me if I’ll be safe using a regular 14 (without ProMotion)?

Just got the 14pro and am just totally shocked. I have one of the leading YT channels for Mario Kart Tour and my 6-year-old phone plays better than this. So disappointed and stunned!

Thanks to everyone here for the thread.
Yeah, the issue is just with the Pro models that have a fluctuating refresh rate.

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
"Hit the Island" is constantly stuttering (even without touching) on my 14 PM. I have not tested whether it's due to the latest app update or iOS 16.6, could someone please check on 16.5.

Solisgozoom

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2023
I’m still on 15.5 but it’s a shame to hear we essentially got ****ed. Apple really boasted about the pro models gaming performance only to screw us.

ABCBionic

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2023
I'm on version 16.5. Wild Rift and Fifa Mobile are still fps drops. Has anyone fixed the problem or is Apple aware that this is the problem? :apple: :rolleyes:

NeoRock096

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2023
I'm on version 16.5. Wild Rift and Fifa Mobile are still fps drops. Has anyone fixed the problem or is Apple aware that this is the problem? :apple: :rolleyes:
Yeah, Apple is aware, and their response to this is that every single developer should update their applications with the support of an adaptive refresh rate, and, obviously, it's not even realistic, all we need is just a lock for a refresh rate so it's stable 120 or 90 or 60 fps all the time when a game is open or when the game focus is enabled.

My opinion is that there is only a slight chance (like 0.01%) that this will be fixed in iOS 17 because this problem is persisting since iPhone 13 Pro and yet there is no solution so far. Apple just doesn't want to accept that it's really their mistake. It's so sad that my iPad Pro 2018 can run call of duty with 120 fps and my “state of the art and best iPhone ever” cannot.

ByeWorld

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
Hello, just bought the Iphone 14 Pro 2 months back.. and am very extremely unsatisfied with it. I moved from Andriod to an Iphone thinking i can have a better experience in gaming (CODM) however that is not the case. It is EXTREMELY laggy whenever i am playing Call Of Duty Mobile, it stutters on and off which is very very annoying. Contacted Apple Support and they told me to go down to the store for a replacement and i did. Was told to start as a new Iphone and not via backup. Problem still persist even than. I am glad that i am not the only one having this issue. Just wanted to share my horrible experience.

ABCBionic

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2023
Hello, just bought the Iphone 14 Pro 2 months back.. and am very extremely unsatisfied with it. I moved from Andriod to an Iphone thinking i can have a better experience in gaming (CODM) however that is not the case. It is EXTREMELY laggy whenever i am playing Call Of Duty Mobile, it stutters on and off which is very very annoying. Contacted Apple Support and they told me to go down to the store for a replacement and i did. Was told to start as a new Iphone and not via backup. Problem still persist even than. I am glad that i am not the only one having this issue. Just wanted to share my horrible experience.
I think this problem will be solved when the iPhone 18 Pro Max is announced. 😅

Because I tell the game makers, they say the problem is not with us but with Apple. I tell Apple, the problem is not with us, but with the game makers.

Reactions: NeoRock096

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
I think this problem will be solved when the iPhone 18 Pro Max is announced. 😅

Because I tell the game makers, they say the problem is not with us but with Apple. I tell Apple, the problem is not with us, but with the game makers.
LOL The Beatstar developers and RetroBowl developers are blaming Apple and waiting for them to fix it, but Apple is saying it's on the developers to code their game properly with the adaptive proMotion displays. So who is actually at fault here? Why can't Apple just tell these devs how to fix it, if its so simple?

NeoRock096

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2023
Well, apparently not for me. Unfortunately it still shutters at 14PM with iOS 17. But yeah, it’s devs beta so we still have hope.

Reactions: herzozo

herzozo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Hungary
I also have to argue the claims the bug is fixed. Hill Climb Racing stutters as soon as I tap the screen…
iOS 17 b1, iPhone 14 Pro Max

cveja007

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
Wow..I've watched all sorts of comparisons and tests before I bought 14 pro max. Gaming reviews and tests were top notch. For a while now I've been dealing with these stutters/drops in CODM on no matter what graphic preset..I know it's not a dedicated gaming phone, so I bought a Black Shark funcooler 2 pro and even with it on, it's still the same. I seriously don't know what to do, if iOS 17 doesn't get it fixed I'll have to sell it or something..I didn't get a gaming phone because of their poor cameras.

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
Wow..I've watched all sorts of comparisons and tests before I bought 14 pro max. Gaming reviews and tests were top notch. For a while now I've been dealing with these stutters/drops in CODM on no matter what graphic preset..I know it's not a dedicated gaming phone, so I bought a Black Shark funcooler 2 pro and even with it on, it's still the same. I seriously don't know what to do, if iOS 17 doesn't get it fixed I'll have to sell it or something..I didn't get a gaming phone because of their poor cameras.
Funny isn't it. Every reviewer says this phone has amazing performance but when you actually use it to play games they stutter like hell. Don't now if they're just lying or they honestly can't see the stutter.

cveja007

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
Ive fixed my issue and its a stupid fix.
I literally went to codm support site and they recommended to reinstall, I highly doubled that it'd work but it actually fixed micro stutters! I dont know about other games but just experiment. Might be an issue if a game is regularly getting updated and some things get cached n cause issues..idk. Im happy that this, couple of months old, problem of mine is gone.

Before coming to conclusion :
Oh I've tried codm n samurai jack. Both stuttered like hell. Now I wanted to test it further and tried some other apple arcade game and honkai star rail, both worked flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.