Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
In here to ask if 16.5 beta has address the issue. Last time I’ll ask since if this doesn’t fix it I don’t think it’s on Apples radar.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
What's a real issue? I heard about lag when you touch the display.

120hz doesn't mean that game will run at 120fps.
:rolleyes:
The issue is that Apple's ProCrapMotion constantly interferes with in-app FPS settings so if ProNonsense is left on by default (rather than limited in the damage it can do by putting the device to locked 60 HZ), the stutter is insanely bad on brand new devices running even games that are 10+ years old.

Of course 120 HZ =/= 120 FPS, but when you say have an app that can easily run 60 FPS with a ton of leftover processing power, and then that app instead looks like it runs 45 FPS post OS 16 because Apple's nonsense display management does its thing and makes it stutter (unlike on a non-ProMotion device where it doesn't), it makes spending $2k on a new device for gaming a bit of a shame.

Yes, many will say Apple shouldn't be bought for gaming at all, but many people buy iPads specifically for that purpose. And it sucks to no end that all of us who do so just shot ourselves in the foot thanks to their "advanced software" that they can't even test and figure out before releasing it as bugged as it is and wrecking an entire use case for these devices.

MarkosXT

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I contacted Apple support regarding this issue last Thursday, got on the phone with a "Senior Apple technician", I explained the issue and also provided him a link to this thread, he said he would create a case because he couldn't find an existing one for this issue, and he would get back to me within 1 to 2 days with an update, haven't heard back, I think they are trying to just sweep this under the rug.

Reactions: Misos

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
I contacted Apple support regarding this issue last Thursday, got on the phone with a "Senior Apple technician", I explained the issue and also provided him a link to this thread, he said he would create a case because he couldn't find an existing one for this issue, and he would get back to me within 1 to 2 days with an update, haven't heard back, I think they are trying to just sweep this under the rug.
Thanks for contacting apple support for this. Knowing Apple though they probably are trying to just sweep this under the rug like you said.

Arch42

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2023
Been having this issue since launch. Most games seem to drop frame rate when you start touching the screen. Really negatively impacts Mario Kart which is essentially running worse than my iPhone 11 Pro because of this. One thing I did notice though was that with Ocean Horn 2, from what I can it's not actually impacted. I can run around the opening island and there's none of the stutter. Is quite a demanding game as well so not easy on the hardware. I wonder if this suggests developers can actually do something to get around the problem, but maybe Apple just haven't made it easy to do so most haven't? Ocean Horn 2 devs need to be sharing their knowledge if they've actually found something!

Reactions: Cayden

CupertinoSlave

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Tampa, FL
Been having this issue since launch. Most games seem to drop frame rate when you start touching the screen. Really negatively impacts Mario Kart which is essentially running worse than my iPhone 11 Pro because of this. One thing I did notice though was that with Ocean Horn 2, from what I can it's not actually impacted. I can run around the opening island and there's none of the stutter. Is quite a demanding game as well so not easy on the hardware. I wonder if this suggests developers can actually do something to get around the problem, but maybe Apple just haven't made it easy to do so most haven't? Ocean Horn 2 devs need to be sharing their knowledge if they've actually found something!
Grid Autosport is another game without any stuttering issues. It could be linked to the game engine used to develop the game. I know Unity addressed this.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 8.54.46 AM.png

Arch42

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2023
Grid Autosport is another game without any stuttering issues. It could be linked to the game engine used to develop the game. I know Unity addressed this.

View attachment 2190242
Bought the game some years ago to download and try out. Even with constantly touching the screen with wheel controls it never stutters, that's very interesting. I suppose then there's hope that developers are capable of optimising the game, if it's some quirk with the A16 I suppose that currently represents a small percentage of current iPhones so maybe that's factoring into why devs aren't accounting for it. Grid Autosport in particular shows how much power the phone actually has, sad almost how it's lost on most games right now

KartLife

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2023
Can anyone tell me if I’ll be safe using a regular 14 (without ProMotion)?

Just got the 14pro and am just totally shocked. I have one of the leading YT channels for Mario Kart Tour and my 6-year-old phone plays better than this. So disappointed and stunned!

Thanks to everyone here for the thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.