Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirati

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
Just played a match. Most time fps was showing 60. Did have dips at times lowest I seen was 55 but couldn’t tell it. Ran just fine
Well bro i have a bad news for you. You r having the same problem like us. Its not lag its just fps dropping and mini lags.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
well I’m out of ideas. Mario kart on my 14 pro, gfs 14 pro and dads 14 pro max runs awful. It’s extremely laggy and drops frames left and right.

Nintendo reached out to me after my Reddit post and asked for a video. I sent them the video and they confirmed they see the issue.

They just replied they see the issue again but don’t know what’s causing it. They keep telling me to run it in low power mode with no other apps open.

I went to the apple store and the display phones have the same issue. The SE ran the game perfect.

For anyone saying the 14 pro runs Mario kart just fine, I really find that hard to believe as 100% of each 14 model I’ve tested exhibits the issue. The Apple Store employee saw it too and said the game probably has not been updated to iOS 16. But Nintendo said it has. Super frustrating.

Reactions: decypher44

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
Well bro i have a bad news for you. You r having the same problem like us. Its not lag its just fps dropping and mini lags.
watch a few people playing the game on a iphone 13 pro. it did stay at 59/60 fps. Did another match this morning was seeing the game things 59/60 with dips lowest at 55. So yeah something going on but still never really felt lag/the fps or made the game unplayable

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
well I’m out of ideas. Mario kart on my 14 pro, gfs 14 pro and dads 14 pro max runs awful. It’s extremely laggy and drops frames left and right.

Nintendo reached out to me after my Reddit post and asked for a video. I sent them the video and they confirmed they see the issue.

They just replied they see the issue again but don’t know what’s causing it. They keep telling me to run it in low power mode with no other apps open.

I went to the apple store and the display phones have the same issue. The SE ran the game perfect.

For anyone saying the 14 pro runs Mario kart just fine, I really find that hard to believe as 100% of each 14 model I’ve tested exhibits the issue. The Apple Store employee saw it too and said the game probably has not been updated to iOS 16. But Nintendo said it has. Super frustrating.
Can you post that video here?

Kirati

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
watch a few people playing the game on a iphone 13 pro. it did stay at 59/60 fps. Did another match this morning was seeing the game things 59/60 with dips lowest at 55. So yeah something going on but still never really felt lag/the fps or made the game unplayable
The lag is hard to feel, it happens for mini sec,
If your phone had no issue. It would never drop to 55. It should remain 60 at all times and maybe 59 when it heats.

tomonish

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
Hi, guys! I can confirm to you that my iPhone 14 Pro Max 512G still suffers from the severe FPS drop issue after I upgraded it to iOS 16.1 Beta3, the most latest iOS.

I tested on wild rift, btw.

MarkosXT

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Cod has more noticeable fps drops on my iPhone 14 pro max 128gb than it did on my old iPhone 11 128gb. Unacceptable.

planner1903

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
I'm sorry for my bad English. I am writing from Turkey. I have the same problem. I have given feedback to Apple. I do not enjoy playing games. iphone 14 pro max 128g

daehn

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2022
I was on the phone with a senior Apple support advisor and sent them a sysdiagnose after reproducing the issue when closing Apps. I would urge anyone with this issue to also report it to Apple, the more they hear about it the more likely and faster a fix will be in the works.

I don't play games so I mainly experience the issue in the app switcher / Springboard. A wild hunch I have is that it might be related to the dynamic Astronomy wallpaper updating, at least I haven't experienced it since changing my wallpaper to a non-dynamic one.

Kirati

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
Hi, guys! I can confirm to you that my iPhone 14 Pro Max 512G still suffers from the severe FPS drop issue after I upgraded it to iOS 16.1 Beta3, the most latest iOS.

I tested on wild rift, btw.
Dude how did u get the beta 3? Are u on developers beta? Any idea when its available to public?

Vinpolar

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
I can confirm I got evidently not smooth experience with games on my new iPhone 14 Pro 512GB - however CoD seems to be working fine for me. Wild rift for example is playable, but it's not smooth - fps hovers between 57-60fps (which really shouldn't happen on this hardware) and you can feel the jankiness. Same goes for Diablo Immortal. Something's not quite right.

Vinpolar

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Disable ProMotion. Many games have problems with it.
I don't think this is gonna work. I have iPad Pro M1 11" and games works there flawlessly, with ProMotion. There's some issue between new hardware in form of iPhone 14 Pro (A16), iOS 16 and games not supporting it fully yet too. Apparently Riot responded to someone on Reddit that it seems there's an issue on Apple part and they aren't too quick to response on the matter. Guess we have to wait.

tonycg1992

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2016
I don't think this is gonna work. I have iPad Pro M1 11" and games works there flawlessly, with ProMotion. There's some issue between new hardware in form of iPhone 14 Pro (A16), iOS 16 and games not supporting it fully yet too. Apparently Riot responded to someone on Reddit that it seems there's an issue on Apple part and they aren't too quick to response on the matter. Guess we have to wait.
It did not work for me.

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc
Sorry about lack of response. Been getting ready for what Ian could bring to my area. Backing up servers all day isn’t fun lol. Seen Mario kart had an update. This update help out anyone experiencing issues?

MagicMiguel

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I was on the phone with a senior Apple support advisor and sent them a sysdiagnose after reproducing the issue when closing Apps. I would urge anyone with this issue to also report it to Apple, the more they hear about it the more likely and faster a fix will be in the works.

I don't play games so I mainly experience the issue in the app switcher / Springboard. A wild hunch I have is that it might be related to the dynamic Astronomy wallpaper updating, at least I haven't experienced it since changing my wallpaper to a non-dynamic one.
Glad you were able to get in touch with a senior support advisor. This is what a lot of people did to finally get it fixed in iOS 14.4. It's a problem with the way the OS manages memory. They made a change in iOS 13 to allow apps to run longer in the background before being restarted, but it causes the OS to run very low usable memory. I'm an iOS engineer and I've been sending in logs via the Feedback Assistant showing that the same problem from iOS13/14 has regressed but no one seems to be looking at them yet. If you have an open issue with that advisor, please direct them to FB11597093. I've been putting a lot of info in there.

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
I don’t play many games, but I have noticed some fps slowdowns in the (excellent) Apple Arcade game What the Golf. It’s brief and tolerable, but does happen.

hgwrts

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Glad you were able to get in touch with a senior support advisor. This is what a lot of people did to finally get it fixed in iOS 14.4. It's a problem with the way the OS manages memory. They made a change in iOS 13 to allow apps to run longer in the background before being restarted, but it causes the OS to run very low usable memory. I'm an iOS engineer and I've been sending in logs via the Feedback Assistant showing that the same problem from iOS13/14 has regressed but no one seems to be looking at them yet. If you have an open issue with that advisor, please direct them to FB11597093. I've been putting a lot of info in there.
I have the same problem as I did with the 12 Pro Max. Totally annoying. I have already reported it to Apple but don't think the issue has been taken seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.