Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
The 14 PM has an assign battery rating of 4323 mAh. Your battery, like mine, was actually a decent chunk larger than that (mine is 4559) . Relative to the maximum amount, you have 95% of life, but compared to 4323, it’s over 100%.

This is why some people’s batteries show 100% battery health for a longer time, it’s because your battery was larger than the rated capacity amount.
So they can come from the factory with a larger battery capacity than the rated 4323mah max?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
In another month I’m down to 88% (from 90%). This is getting ridiculous. My iPhone 14 Pro Max is just 1 year old and the battery health is 88%. Never happened before.
I didn’t change my habits, so definitely something is wrong with the battery
I have 214 cycles in one year

Last edited:

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
My 9 month old 14 Pro Max has now gone down from 100% to 97%

Its probably going to end up worse than my 12 Pro Max!

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
My launch day purchase 14 Pro is at 89% with 312 cycles. I think that’s a little better than expected. I may get the battery replaced by Apple in a few months.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
My 12 Pro Max before replacing it was on 84% battery health for over 12 months so im not sure i trust the battery health indicator after a certain point!

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
My 12 Pro Max before replacing it was on 84% battery health for over 12 months so im not sure i trust the battery health indicator after a certain point!
The degradation is not linear or probably even a nicely predictable curve in most instances.

See this thread — @akash.nu you should take a look as well:

TLDR: Beyond the original post, read replies #32 and #56.

Reactions: Chidoro

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The degradation is not linear or probably even a nicely predictable curve in most instances.

Yep! Aware of this but in my case it seems to be pretty predictable with a percent drop every couple of weeks at present.

See this thread — @akash.nu you should take a look as well:

TLDR: Beyond the original post, read replies #32 and #56.

Thanks. Will take a look and check on coconut battery again.

But [mention]Efficiency-King [/mention] mentioned that the battery was calibrated. How do you do that with lithium ion batteries?! What am I missing here? Nickel batteries needed calibration but we’ve moved past that decades ago.

Just for context, my coconut battery reading is this -
a56894cbfe1ff357fbf557a65c059957.jpg

And coconut battery aligns with the iOS battery stats.

6df58c7e55fe5009e755b397c9c4a948.png

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Nickel batteries needed calibration but we’ve moved past that decades ago.
The “memory effect” on Ni batteries is different than calibration. Although:

How do you do that with lithium ion batteries?! What am I missing here?
A simplistic explanation from Battery University:
To maintain accuracy, a smart battery should periodically be calibrated by running the pack down in the device until “Low Battery” appears and then apply a recharge. The full discharge sets the discharge flag and the full charge establishes the charge flag. A linear line forms between these two anchor points that allow SoC estimation. In time, this line gets blurred again and the battery requires recalibration. Figure 2 illustrates the full-discharge and full-charge flags.
Figure-2_full-discharge-and-full-charge-flag.jpg

For the most part, it’s the capacity that changes (i.e., full charge). So...
Apple said:

About 80% Limit with iPhone 15 models​

With iPhone 15 models, you can choose between Optimized Battery Charging, 80% Limit, and None.

When you choose 80% Limit, your iPhone will charge up to about 80 percent and then stop charging. If the battery charge level gets down to 75 percent, charging will resume until your battery charge level reaches about 80 percent again.

With 80% Limit enabled, your iPhone will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates.

That doesn’t mean occasionally running a device until auto-shutdown (i.e., ‘full’ discharge*) isn’t helpful to preserve the battery gauge because as a battery weakens (e.g., ages), the lowest voltage also changes. At some point the battery’s lowest voltage may not be the system’s minimal operating voltage. It’s just that the low end doesn’t typically change nearly as quickly as the top-end.

* Apple leaves margins to both the top and bottom of the charge state. In other words, 1% reported to the users is probably more like 16% of actual battery capacity. This is part to help prevent deep discharging and to provide temporarily extended functionality for Find My.

reinem85

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
Hi all, I'm new here. I have a 14 PM from september 2023, right now with 99% bat health. When I have passed the 3uTools tells me that the manufacturer is DESAY, manufactured on 06/11/23 (I understand that being American date is read as June 11 no, in Europe would be November 6?), 100 charge cycles (with the shortcut batteryStatus says 97). With this battery shortcut if I choose the "analytics" with the most current date it tells me that I have 707 battery cycles, if I choose the "analytics" field with the oldest date (about 6 days ago) it tells me 97 cycles. I also see a lot of shortcuts referring to the "log-agregated" field which I have never located in my analytics section. I'm on 17.3.1
Design capacity 4297 (4323 as standard it should have) and current capacity 4241. It strikes me that the bat was manufactured in June 2023, 2 months or so from the start of production of the 15. I would like to think (hopefully) that this battery manufactured later, almost at the end of life of the product corrects the "supposed" degradation problems of the 14PM. I always charge it with original 5w charger + usb A to lightning cable from an old IP6 I keep and always from 20-30 to 80% via shortcut that alerts me. The only thing that worries me a bit is how old the lightning cable is.... What do you think of these stats? Thanks

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Just reached 1 y with a 14PM as a daily driver, battery health is 95%. Not a super heavy user but definitely over average, mainly charged on a MagSafe stand. I would say the health is reasonable, not to complain about really.

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
Stuck at 90% for 3 months and dropped to 89% after 17.4 and currently 302 cycles. 11/22 purchase. Not losing any sleep over it as it covers my long days without needing to be charged at all. Will be interesting to see if it can muster a few years without replacement required. Went 4.5 years with iPhone X and never changed the battery. Ended life with it at 82%. Doubt this will fare as well but let’s see.

Jgboys1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Got it on 1/19/2023 and I am at 92%

I am not having any issues with the phone but that is a significant drop in a little over a year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.