Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
iPhone 14 Pro, launch day unit.
coconutBattery shows 100% however iPhone shows 99% of maximum capacity.
Cycle Count:223

View attachment 2244718
Mixed of contactless charging (MagSafe charger, MagSafe Duo, Lab22 charging stand), external battery pack, CarPlay, and Lighting cable; pair with Apple 20W or dual 35W power adapter. I have a case on too.
coconut battery pro user in the house : ) Very cool lifetime data. Makes be curious what my average temp has been.Who is your battery manufacturer?

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Sunwoda in the house! This is the first report I have heard about Sunwoda battery running down quick. Most reports have been 97-100% that I have seen. How have you been charging over the past year?

Mostly wireless charging overnight with no case. Optimized charging and clean energy charging turned on. Admittedly, I primarily charged with 5W wired charging on previous iPhones which could be why this one is degrading faster than those iPhones. But I see other people with 100% capacity who charge wirelessly every night so 🤷

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Mostly wireless charging overnight with no case on. Optimized charging and clean energy charging turned on. Admittedly, I primarily charged with 5W wired charging on previous iPhones which could be why this one is degrading faster than those iPhones. But I see other people with 100% capacity who charge wirelessly every night so 🤷
Yeah, I have charged with my case on more than usual this time around and perhaps it is a heat issue for me. I have heard people fast charging, charging every which way, and still have 99-100%. I need to see more people posting about battery manufacturer because that is what I am really curious about...

5W charging a iPhone Pro Max is like a 5 hour process : )

Reactions: zapmymac and xxray

Mrsemexter

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Iphone 14 Pro Max 256GB, purchased day of release

Sunwoda
Manufacture Date 2022-08-01
Age 376 days
Design Capacity 4323 mAh
Full Charge Capacity 4025mAh
Battery health 92.6%

Charge between 20-70% almost exclusively on a 5W charge, owned most iPhones and have never had one degrade this quickly before

Faris T

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2022
I wish there was a way to select in the battery settings don’t charge above 80%. That would be fine with me. Then in a pinch or if traveling, go in and deselect it to charge to 100%.
There is a way. It’s unpractical but if you have a smart power plug you can use the shortcuts app to make your phone stop charging at 80 percent. I do this when I charge my phone overnight.

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Iphone 14 Pro Max 256GB, purchased day of release

Sunwoda
Manufacture Date 2022-08-01
Age 376 days
Design Capacity 4323 mAh
Full Charge Capacity 4025mAh
Battery health 92.6%

Charge between 20-70% almost exclusively on a 5W charge, owned most iPhones and have never had one degrade this quickly before
Now these are the sunwoda reports I have been seeing… major rundown with very neutral use.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Thank you for the feedback JCCL. I agree, worst degradation I have seen in an iPhone I have owned. Would you mind sharing your Maximum Capacity percentage in the iPhone battery settings? Did you also purchase in Sept 2022?
Sorry thought I had posted that information. Battery health is 92%, bought in October 8th, 2022

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Sorry thought I had posted that information. Battery health is 92%, bought in October 8th, 2022
yeah you are with me, in the low 90's range. It is starting to feel like there were just some really bad batches of batteries as many people still have great life with charging all kinds of ways and still 98-100%.

I am still curious to keep comparing battery manufacturers if people post that info.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Okay, I have been hearing that Sunwoda is where it is at. I am seeing some strong Desay reports thus far. How have you been charging over the past year?
Strictly cable. Magsafe was too hot, but cooled down as iOS 16 was tweaked. I try for the 80/20 rule.

All this may be academic. Apple cheapened up in the batteries this year. I’m going by memory but doesn’t this year’s model have a cheaper and simpler design? Check it out if you want. Maybe Tim saved 10 cents a phone with that move?

screamace

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Launch day 14PM. iOS reads 88% battery health and coconutBattery shows 90.3%. Pretty significant degradation over a year. Well, I'm in iPhone upgrade program so will be upgrading every year nonetheless.

Btw I charge almostly exclusively with MagSafe. Have a Belkin 3-in-1 charger stand for overnight charge. Apple MagSafe charger while driving. And Apple MagSafe Duo for travel.

1691810668677.png

Reactions: zapmymac

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Launch day 14PM. iOS reads 88% battery health and coconutBattery shows 90.3%. Pretty significant degradation over a year. Well, I'm in iPhone upgrade program so will be upgrading every year nonetheless.

Btw I charge almostly exclusively with MagSafe. Have a Belkin 3-in-1 charger stand for overnight charge. Apple MagSafe charger while driving. And Apple MagSafe Duo for travel.

View attachment 2244778
this wear looks very similar to mine, is your battery manufacturer Desay?

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Now underneath your iPhone's battery life settings you can click on "Battery Health and Charging" and see your Maximum Capacity left. Mine is at 91%
This is similar to my previous iPhone 11. The original battery was garbage, it starting degrading immediately.

The 2nd battery was much better, unfortunately I didn't keep data on either of them.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I’ve noticed lately my battery not lasting as long as usual. My launch day 14 PM is at 89% health. I almost exclusively charge with on a 5W wired connection, with the occasional fast charge. My 12 PM and 13 PM were both around 95% with the same usage, something is definitely not good with at least some of the 14 Pro batteries

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
My conclusion about all of this is the iPhone is now manufactured on the same scale as most Androids. Apple really can't make enough of them and because it is being mass produced with some parts such as battery and display components coming from multiple contractors, all of these parts are not alike. Case in point, Samsung display vs LG display. So, an iPhone 14 Pro Max bought at the same store, might not 100% be equal in quality when bought by two different customers. I have to knock on wood how reliable my iPhone X has been since 2018. Another area that I believe is affecting the iPhone in somewhat of a negative way is the software. Its amazing how much of iOS is now outsourced. Its particularly interesting when it comes to a release version unique to the latest model like iOS 17 running on the iPhone 15 this fall. I think it was either the iPhone 13 or 14 series there was a bug with either AOD or the 120 Hz display and turns out the devs who worked on it in China didn't dog food it enough.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
My conclusion about all of this is the iPhone is now manufactured on the same scale as most Androids. Apple really can't make enough of them and because it is being mass produced with some parts such as battery and display components coming from multiple contractors, all of these parts are not alike. Case in point, Samsung display vs LG display. So, an iPhone 14 Pro Max bought at the same store, might not 100% be equal in quality when bought by two different customers. I have to knock on wood how reliable my iPhone X has been since 2018. Another area that I believe is affecting the iPhone in somewhat of a negative way is the software. Its amazing how much of iOS is now outsourced. Its particularly interesting when it comes to a release version unique to the latest model like iOS 17 running on the iPhone 15 this fall. I think it was either the iPhone 13 or 14 series there was a bug with either AOD or the 120 Hz display and turns out the devs who worked on it in China didn't dog food it enough.
Now? The iPhone has always been a mass produced product! What did you think? That hey handcrafted every single device with like 20 high-payed engeneers???
iPhones are and have alway been produced very high quantitities, like millions and millions! You have to relay on different manufactureres for main parts, that's how modern economics work!
Remember the "chipping" issue with the iPhone 5? The reception issue with the 4? The yellow-screen-lottery with nearly every iPhone since the 3G? Issues have always been there and will always occur as long as the iPhone is a mass product.

Quality control however could be better sometimes, I agree. But that applies to almost every product you are buying these days. QC costs money, so vendors often cheap out on that end... :rolleyes:

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Just looking at iOS my launch day iPhone Pro 1TB is at 100% battery I call on it for a few hours each night. Always charge it at 40-50% Phone use like making calls uses about 65% of my battery

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
I have used my Pro Max since January this year. After 122 charge cycles the battery (Desay Corporation) is at 99.7% design capacity (Battery Settings 99%). I use it for iOS development, and try to keep it between 40% - 80% on most days.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Here’s my iPhone 14 pro that I received and started using October 13th.

Apples battery health ticked down to 99% June 1st but clearly I’m still at or above 100% on coconut battery. I charge everynight with my 5W charger like I’ve been doing since the iPhone 4. I’m I guess what they call a light user. About 3-3.5h SOT a day and I use 30-35% of my battery each day. I see no problems with my battery health on my 14 pro.

Weird that coconut battery shows 3181mah for the designed capacity when apple says 3200mah. This is the first time I’ve seen it not match.

Edit: Hmm maybe I have an older version of coconut battery… I’ve been using the same one for years…

Edit again: got the new version of coconut battery. Looks like I have the Sunwoda battery.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpeg
    IMG_1955.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1974.jpeg
    IMG_1974.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.