Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Now? The iPhone has always been a mass produced product! What did you think? That hey handcrafted every single device with like 20 high-payed engeneers???
iPhones are and have alway been produced very high quantitities, like millions and millions! You have to relay on different manufactureres for main parts, that's how modern economics work!
Remember the "chipping" issue with the iPhone 5? The reception issue with the 4? The yellow-screen-lottery with nearly every iPhone since the 3G? Issues have always been there and will always occur as long as the iPhone is a mass product.

Quality control however could be better sometimes, I agree. But that applies to almost every product you are buying these days. QC costs money, so vendors often cheap out on that end... :rolleyes:
I was referring to scale. The first iPhone, most of the parts, processors, memory was all Samsung up until the iPhone 3GS. Thats why the A4 that first showed up in the iPhone 4s got its name, because that was based on the IP bought from Semi PA in 2008.

Reactions: zapmymac

LacrosseChic

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I had a launch day 14 pro max that shattered in may. Did an express replacement. Right before I sent the old one back I checked coconut battery and it was still sitting at 101% - Desay Corporation.
My "new" replacement came on may 23rd of this year - so almost 3 months old - and is today at 103,6%. Also Desay.
I honestly have no complaints about the battery or the battery life. I am a mid to heavy user.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
I just checked what Apple says about my iPhone 14 Pro Max battery. 89%. Got it day one. Dislike it all around.
Yeah you might as well upgrade to the 15ProMax I believe the 14 series was rushed IMO. Hopefully apple does better with the 15 series

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Apple will not allow you to increase battery health on the app. I lost many percentage points on beta work on my 12PM. The lower “wrong” health indicator just stays stuck at that percentage until the actual percentage drops below that mark. It took six months…

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve recently dropped to 96%. It’s definitely way faster than the 13 Pro Max I handed in last year. It was at 100% when I upgraded to the 14 Pro Max.

iPhone4Life1

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
Hopefully traveling!
I feel like I watch my battery drop by the minute on my 14 Pro Max, bought launch weekend:

Charged using an Apple USB C 20W Adapter and a random Amazon USB C-Lightning cable almost daily

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 11.22.46 AM.png

Desay Manufacturer Battery
Manufacturer Date 08-15-22
Age 362 days
Design Capacity 4323mAh
Full Charge Capacity 4106 mAh
Cycle Count 206

Currently at 94% according to iOS and 95% according to coconutBattery

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've always had really good luck with iPhone batteries but I never use my iPhone as my primary device so I'm probably a light user by most standards (rarely using more than 20% of total battery per day).

I got my 14 Pro Max 3/19/23.
1691853790576.jpeg

Full Charge Capacity: 4443 mAh
Design Capacity: 4323 mAh
Cycle Count: 56

Always wired charging - usually to a 15-20amp charger. I charge to 100% all the time. Phone spends most of its life between 70-100%.

1691853740642.jpeg

My 13 Pro Max had 103% health after 185 cycles when I sold it earlier this year (to get my 14 Pro Max). My friends 13 Pro Max is at 87% and he has not had great luck with that battery, but he wirelessly charges and uses it as a baby monitor for long periods of time.

Just me but I think wear has more to do with how much we use the device more than anything. People like me will continue to get amazing health stats because I use my MBP and iPad as my primary device.

Reactions: d.o.p.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I've always had really good luck with iPhone batteries but I never use my iPhone as my primary device so I'm probably a light user by most standards (rarely using more than 20% of total battery per day).

I got my 14 Pro Max 3/19/23.
View attachment 2245005
Full Charge Capacity: 4443 mAh
Design Capacity: 4323 mAh
Cycle Count: 56

Always wired charging - usually to a 15-20amp charger. I charge to 100% all the time. Phone spends most of its life between 70-100%.

View attachment 2245002

My 13 Pro Max had 103% health after 185 cycles when I sold it earlier this year (to get my 14 Pro Max). My friends 13 Pro Max is at 87% and he has not had great luck with that battery, but he wirelessly charges and uses it as a baby monitor for long periods of time.

Just me but I think wear has more to do with how much we use the device more than anything. People like me will continue to get amazing health stats because I use my MBP and iPad as my primary device.
I agree, but I don’t think your use is at all typical. IMO, Apple should design their products for how most people will use them in real-world conditions, within the limits of what the technology allows and cost.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Dolphins

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2023
I'm using apple magsafe primarily, Apple usb-c to lightning with Apple charger and very rarely the usb port in my windows notebook or Macbook Air. I use an original Apple Magsafe Clear case witch I don't take off during charging.

I do not charge and use the phone at the same time, besides an occasional phone call or MFA token generation.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
My iPhone a year later. I charge it daily, usually from 50+ % to 85% and disconnect. I carry several 20k battery banks and use those to charge. I never leave the iPhone plugged in overnight. Optimized charging is turned off. I probably will
Not upgrade to the 15 pro max this year.

IMG_1885.jpeg

Reactions: Chidoro

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Model: iPhone X
Purchased: Spring 2018
Battery health: 78%
Charging cycle: can sometimes be twice a day. If its twice a day, it likely means I am not being productive at work. Usually take it off the charger at 6 AM, down to 10% by 9:30 PM when I am getting ready for bed. Extreme cases it goes down to 2% if I am using the phone hard throughout the day. The most common apps are Outlook, MS Teams and internal app (I will not mention here but is widely used throughout the industry). Of course Safari with all the Apple related websites, general tech. The camera app is used a lot and I mean a lot, at the end of the week I have to triage my phone to get ride of all these work related photos. Gmail is also used to check email around the clock for personal stuff. I do some other stuff that I prefer to browse in Firefox or Chrome times. Will occasionally slip into X (formerly Twitter) and Facebook, occasional calls or text with family in Whats app, messaging with my close buddies throughout the day is sometimes done too. I sometimes connect to our bluetooth sound system at work to play music from either Spotify or my local Music list.

Likely will keep the battery instead of replacing it, I have done battery replacements on an iPhone 6s and it was actually worse. So, hopefully I can push through with my currently battery until fall 2024 when the iPhone 16 Pro Max launches.

It will be a celebration!

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
Charging cycle: can sometimes be twice a day. If its twice a day, it likely means I am not being productive at work. Usually take it off the charger at 6 AM, down to 10% by 9:30 PM when I am getting ready for bed. Extreme cases it goes down to 2% if I am using the phone hard throughout the day. The most common apps are Outlook, MS Teams and internal app (I will not mention here but is widely used throughout the industry). Of course Safari with all the Apple related websites, general tech. The camera app is used a lot and I mean a lot, at the end of the week I have to triage my phone to get ride of all these work related photos. Gmail is also used to check email around the clock for personal stuff. I do some other stuff that I prefer to browse in Firefox or Chrome times. Will occasionally slip into X (formerly Twitter) and Facebook, occasional calls or text with family in Whats app, messaging with my close buddies throughout the day is sometimes done too. I sometimes connect to our bluetooth sound system at work to play music from either Spotify or my local Music list.

Likely will keep the battery instead of replacing it, I have done battery replacements on an iPhone 6s and it was actually worse. So, hopefully I can push through with my currently battery until fall 2024 when the iPhone 16 Pro Max launches.

that will no doubt be a celebration! I think the iPhone 16 Pro Max is shaping up to be the best iPhone upgrade in some time. It will feel like a whole new world :)

Reactions: Mr. Dee

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
My iPhone a year later. I charge it daily, usually from 50+ % to 85% and disconnect. I carry several 20k battery banks and use those to charge. I never leave the iPhone plugged in overnight. Optimized charging is turned off. I probably will
Not upgrade to the 15 pro max this year.

View attachment 2245114
With that battery life there is no need to upgrade unless Apple offers tantalizing iPhone trade in offers for the iPhone 14 Pro Max. I actually think they will since it will be a marginal upgrade for iPhone 14 Pro users.

Reactions: ToddH

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Launch day 14 Pro Max, very heavily used (and in high-heat situations) and I jumped on the iOS 17 beta train starting with beta 1. Currently sitting at 4061 mAh/designed 4363, 93.9% in CoconutBattery and 92% in iOS Settings. Desay battery, 361 cycles (so some days I ended up having >1 cycle).

This is my battery usage curve from today with a mix of moderate usage/standby time (navigation/live radio via CarPlay, and Spotify playback over Bluetooth) after my phone was charged to 100% at 3:30 PM. I went all the way down to 26% within the span of just below 8 hours (11:15 PM). Overall battery life is still OK but I do feel like having a charging cable in the car is needed. If I plan to be exploring the city all day without a wall charger/car charger available (such as travel), I need to carry an Anker 633 pack with a small USB-C to lightning cable (better efficiency than wireless) to carry me through the day because this 14 PM would otherwise die in the span of 4-5 hours.

The 13 Pro Max at launch was a beast but even that phone got bogged down after consecutive iOS 15.x software updates. Not strongly inclined to upgrade to the 15 PM at this point and will most likely buy out this phone through the iUP before starting over with the 16 PM.

1691898877170.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: zapmymac

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
iPhone 13 Pro Max : 97% and I charge with an Anker 30w daily.

However, I do have the “battery to 80%” SHORTCUT installed for the last 6 months.

wave84

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I've got an iPhone 11 Pro with 91% health after almost 4 years of heavy usage (original battery).
Coconut Battery reports that the capacity actually increased compared to design capacity.

Isn't it weird? The battery actually lasts a lot, similar to when it was new.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.15.29.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.15.29.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 88

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've got an iPhone 11 Pro with 91% health after almost 4 years of heavy usage (original battery).
Coconut Battery reports that the capacity actually increased compared to design capacity.

Isn't it weird? The battery actually lasts a lot, similar to when it was new.
That battery must have come way over provisioned from the factory. And lucked out on a near perfect battery. Nice!

jmckenzie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
iPhone 14 Pro, bought shortly after launch. I'm not going to bother to install Coconut Battery, but I'm at 91%. I don't use a fast charger that often. Mostly charging on an old 12W Apple iPad charger, and mostly charging for 20-40% at a time.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
I regret buying the 14 Pro, absolute sh*tty battery and gimmick dynamic island.

I should have waited for the 15 as USB-C is something I actually will use.

I was at 100% and then last week it dropped to 95% in a day, disgusting.

We better get a battery replacement program for this trash.

Reactions: Allahu Akbar

Allahu Akbar

Suspended
Feb 21, 2023
First, Apple releases the iPhone 14 Pro with a battery that degrades by 1% per month for most people, while older phones decrease by 1% every 4-8 months. Then, they increase the cost of battery change on March 1, 2023, by $20 to $50... Don't you see what is going on here?

Don't forget that Apple was caught with Planned Obsolescence in their iPhones via iOS to push you to buy newer phones. Now they make batteries so poorly to force you into two options: buy a new phone or an overpriced battery that you may not change by yourself. When is enough, enough?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.