Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I know they have to try pulling from Apples own stats. But the numbers don’t match with Apples own metrics consistently.
I think it’s because it’s pulling the actual raw data at the time and that data can and is changing quite often.

I’m guessing what apple does for their magic battery health number is averaging the max capacity of those raw data numbers over time. And of course they are going to show the user the highest possible number at all times even though the actual capacity is always changing because of environmental factors such as temperature.

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
So your point is that such an extreme battery degradation is acceptable because the devices are replaced after a year? Only a very tiny percentage of users do this, and most of us even if we replace our iPhone we will hand it down to friends or family members.
I was making a joke. My point was to that specific poster and he had 91%, which is not "extreme," and I don't think he should replace it... but he probably will, he said he has owned every iPhone. Batteries are a consumable. You consume them and then get a replacement. Apple will even do it for free if you are under 80% during your warranty/AppleCare period.

Reactions: maxrest

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
iPhone 14 pro max - Bought on launch day and only charged with the included Apple accessories with no wireless charging. I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max that was replaced by Apple through AppleCare+ a year ago and that is still showing as 100% battery health. Luckily I upgrade every year. If it helps I am currently running the public beta iOS 17 on my 14 pro max.
IMG_7526.jpeg

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
iPhone 14 pro max - Bought on launch day and only charged with the included Apple accessories with no wireless charging. I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max that was replaced by Apple through AppleCare+ a year ago and that is still showing as 100% battery health. Luckily I upgrade every year. If it helps I am currently running the public beta iOS 17 on my 14 pro max. View attachment 2245719
If you are running a beta I would not rely on battery health. Two major drops on a 12PM on two beta versions. They were mistakes but Apple won’t increase battery capacity to correct this mistake, you just stay stuck at that number until you literally drop below it.

Reactions: AlexJ092

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
For comparison, but without the app, we purchased our 11PMs Black Friday the year they came out. Still using it. Never had the battery replaced. It's on cable when at home if it needs to be charged and at work it's on an Anker 10w wireless stand. Sometimes I run it out before plugging it in at night, sometimes I don't. Maximum capacity is at 81% currently. If yall are getting 91% with regular cycles on a 14, the high wattage charging might need to be considered. My home charger is an Anker 30w GaN and I do have optimized charging turned on. Doesn't ever activate at work but at home it doesn't charge to 100% until like an hour before my alarm goes off.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I was making a joke. My point was to that specific poster and he had 91%, which is not "extreme," and I don't think he should replace it... but he probably will, he said he has owned every iPhone. Batteries are a consumable. You consume them and then get a replacement. Apple will even do it for free if you are under 80% during your warranty/AppleCare period.

Alright. Understand how it works. Still being not even a year old and being at 92% it’s extreme in my book, having had almost all iPhones in the past and never experienced such degradation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cayden

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
If you are running a beta I would not rely on battery health. Two major drops on a 12PM on two beta versions. They were mistakes but Apple won’t increase battery capacity to correct this mistake, you just stay stuck at that number until you literally drop below it.
That is great ThankYou 😄

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Birthday week for my 4 year old XR. Estimate ~700 cycles and ~10,000 SOT hours from 1 plug-in/day.
53115817040_2040b16ee3_o.png

But, and this is a big but! Remember that the software and the way you use your device is more at fault than the hardware here.

Overall, the software grows in capabilites, the batteries in these devices remain the same. Software will win, every time.

Agree with these and am actually impressed that Apple does provided the tools to help users to manage their battery runtimes and service lives (at least those that care to). Up to the user to learn/implement what to do though.

My key factors: 1) 99% ‘only device’, mostly use wifi, time-wasters are surfing efficient text-based hobby forums (Reddit/Tapatalk), 2) went through settings turning off ‘features’ I don’t use or care about, 3) use an automated (shortcut automation + smartplug) custom charge optimization to ‘charge as little as possible’, 4) short-cuts to turn-off/toggle antennas I’m currently not using (limiting crowdsourcing data/power usage by Apple, unbeknownst to many, and not reported in batt graphs).

My phone’s been through iOS12-16 and 16 was the first I noticed an immediate/significant hit (had to bump up my charge cycling for 16).

So, don’t fall victim to the misinformers (who have no basis other than, from what I’ve seen, Apple no longer recommending it (but also not discouraging it)), battery calibration is useless or harmful.

I normally wouldn’t trust ifixit, but in this case, they agree with Battery University. So I tried it when my phone started consistently shutting down ~15% after 3yrs, and it fixed it just fine.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Warning: this is NOT a troll post, as a matter of fact is just a question that i have and i'm serious.

Why don't you guys instead of complaining about battery life, rent an iphone and exchange itj for a new one each two years? i mean what do you think about that? i've been told it is "cheaper" at then end.

Is that true?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Warning: this is NOT a troll post, as a matter of fact is just a question that i have.

Why don't you guys instead of complaining about battery life, rent an iphone and change it each to years? i mean what do you think about that?

I like to own my stuff, not rent it, and usually they have a much longer lifetime than two years.

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
That's really good and hopefully things stay that way for you.

Out of curiosity, what's your last_value_averagetemperature from your latest Analytics file? Here are my stats from the 10th of August:

iPhone 14 Plus
Maximum FCC 4504 mAh
Nominal Charge Capacity 4046 mAh
AppleRawMaxCapacity 4034 mAh
MaximumCapacityPercent 99 (no idea how Apple calculate this as it's no where near the nominal charge capacity listed above)
Cycle Count 27
Average Temperature 18 C
If I’m looking in the right spot of the analytics for the day (the stats I used is a shortcut but it doesn’t pull the temp), 24.

Last edited:

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I like to own my stuff, not rent it, and usually they have a much longer lifetime than two years.
ok thanks for your answer but what about this:

what about renting specially when these new batteries are being now degraded in one year fast? what about changing mentallity to renting?, is that cheaper? yes usually they used to last more than two year but nowadays apparently not anymore specially the more demanding ones like the pro...

BTW i love music and i like to own my CDs although streaming is far more "cheaper"....

SilvioInfante

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
Worrying about battery health is an unhealthy obsession. I will not ever baby my devices in order to baby the battery. I will not charge them a certain way, or at a certain time, other than what is most convenient to me. And no one else should either. This is not something you need to be concerned with. Just use your devices.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010

what about renting specially when these new batteries are being now degraded in one year fast? what about changing mentallity to renting?, is that cheaper? yes usually they used to last more than two year but nowadays apparently not anymore specially the more demanding ones like the pro...

BTW i love music and i like to own my CDs although streaming is far more "cheaper"....

This battery issue is a one-off for me to be honest. Historically my phones have held up much better than this 14 Pro Max. Usually after a year I am at 97-96% when I pass it down to another family member. And I also have find out that financially it works out better if you sell it on your own than if you just rent it or turn it in through Apple UP or a similar service.

And I know you love music, I think I've seen you around in a U2 forum 😄

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

Streaming is cheaper until your fav songs and movies get pulled - there is always that…

Renting the phone is cheaper until they start adding subscriptions for services to your rented phone - You will alway pay rent that will always go up as opposed to just buying and just subscriptions for a few years - or no subscriptions.

The tech companies don’t want you to own anything. They just want you to keep paying them while getting nothing concrete in the end to call your own.

I will still own my music and I will still own my phone that the music is on.

Plus, since they own the phone they rent they can do what they want with permissions and restrictions and operating system - probably there so that supposedly, they can (snoop) keep an eye on their property (and maybe your girlfriend…).

Always that…

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

I forgot - must be getting old.

I’m handing down my 12PM and that person doesn’t have to pay a subscription. I won’t say anything about the music - but no streaming needed there for the most part either.

cmariewilson

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
South East
Fat guy I'm not going to lie, but I feel really ignorant right now, and I want to understand your comments from yesterday , but the more I try I do not ,I get half of it I think but the rest I am lost .can you enlighten me please? or just tell me if you do not wish to and I will not ask again
Thanks

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Fat guy I'm not going to lie, but I feel really ignorant right now, and I want to understand your comments from yesterday , but the more I try I do not ,I get half of it I think but the rest I am lost .can you enlighten me please? or just tell me if you do not wish to and I will not ask again
Thanks
Copy and paste this to the appropriate thread. I’ll reply there.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Worrying about battery health is an unhealthy obsession. I will not ever baby my devices in order to baby the battery. I will not charge them a certain way, or at a certain time, other than what is most convenient to me. And no one else should either. This is not something you need to be concerned with. Just use your devices.

I agree 100% but there are exceptions like on everything, personally i cant avoid it.
My mother was complaining yesterday about his apple watch poor battery life and guess what? she WAS right, some of these cr@ppy devices barely last.

Reactions: Cayden

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
This battery issue is a one-off for me to be honest. Historically my phones have held up much better than this 14 Pro Max. Usually after a year I am at 97-96% when I pass it down to another family member. And I also have find out that financially it works out better if you sell it on your own than if you just rent it or turn it in through Apple UP or a similar service.

And I know you love music, I think I've seen you around in a U2 forum 😄
LOL when Morrissey was respected nowadays is just nothing just like Bono. Still i listen to both artist both on the other side im pretty dissapointed.

*sorry for the out of topic guys.

Last edited:

viking_01

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
99%, 14pm delivered Oct22. Was 100% until today - while out for a hour long walk the camera app loaded in my pocket and sucked the charge from 91% to 50% in that short time. The sustained high load challenged the battery and left the phone pretty warm afterwards.
I have been very careful with protecting the battery as much as possible - often have the MagSafe battery pack attached which keeps the charge at a battery-preserving 90% and charge it at low wattage when possible. Left the MagSafe battery at home for the walk.
The first 1% loss is always the hardest... 😆

Edit: I’ve added a 15 minute Screen Time limit in the Camera app to hopefully stop the same happening again. 15mins is about the max I use the camera for each day, anything more is likely to have been toggled in a pocket

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.