Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Mind blowing amount of units isn’t it, general speaking 😬 puts things into perspective that there are not more “issues” actually…
I’m sure there are. Average Joe probably doesn’t even bother checking battery health. They just realize it’s dying sooner, say damn, charge it earlier and live around it, only seek support if it becomes extreme.

SpaceCrystal

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
Looks like Coconut Battery will be the next "must have" app to download once I have iPhone 15 PM in my hands.

iOS definitely have good apps that I don't know about!

Yeah you might as well upgrade to the 15ProMax I believe the 14 series was rushed IMO. Hopefully apple does better with the 15 series
The 15 series is what the 14 series should've been.

I regret buying the 14 Pro, absolute sh*tty battery and gimmick dynamic island.

I should have waited for the 15 as USB-C is something I actually will use.

I was at 100% and then last week it dropped to 95% in a day, disgusting.

We better get a battery replacement program for this trash.
If you can (if you currently have some money saved), you could resell your phone to Apple & it'll knock down some hundreds off of the iPhone 15 Pro's total price.

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2021
Streaming is cheaper until your fav songs and movies get pulled - there is always that…

Renting the phone is cheaper until they start adding subscriptions for services to your rented phone - You will alway pay rent that will always go up as opposed to just buying and just subscriptions for a few years - or no subscriptions.

The tech companies don’t want you to own anything. They just want you to keep paying them while getting nothing concrete in the end to call your own.

I will still own my music and I will still own my phone that the music is on.

Plus, since they own the phone they rent they can do what they want with permissions and restrictions and operating system - probably there so that supposedly, they can (snoop) keep an eye on their property (and maybe your girlfriend…).

Always that…
And those are some reasons why everyone who has the money should buy their phones outright (factory unlocked with no carriers). Especially when you're constantly traveling outside of your country/continent for either vacations or business trips.

That way, you're not at the mercy of big phone carriers who are controlled by governments through their two or three year contracts, & won't have to jump through hoops just to get your phones unlocked, even when you pay off your phone in full before the contract is up. And the same should go for every country &/or continent.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
My 14 Pro Max is still at 100% after 8-9 months of use (Sunwoda). You would want Sunwoda as manufacturer as batteries manufactured by Desay degrade rapidly.
Wife's 13 Pro 14 month usage battery health 84% with 212 cycles (Desay). Mom's 14 Plus (Sunwoda) still at 100% after 7 months with 101 cycles.

Azygos85

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I have 337 cycles on mine and 91% battery health; 14 Pro Max. I bought mine maybe a couple of months after launch day, due to availability issues.

Reactions: Sikh

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
My 14 Pro Max is still at 100% after 8-9 months of use (Sunwoda). You would want Sunwoda as manufacturer as batteries manufactured by Desay degrade rapidly.
Wife's 13 Pro 14 month usage battery health 84% with 212 cycles (Desay). Mom's 14 Plus (Sunwoda) still at 100% after 7 months with 101 cycles.

This is not strictly true. I’m on Sunwoda and still losing battery capacity like crazy, literally every other week.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
14 Pro Max bought on launch day. I change every day to about 98% and the battery health is currently at 99%

I never use wireless charging. I’m very happy with the battery🔋 - actually really love the iPhone 14 Pro Max in general. Lovely camera too.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
30 days till my 14 plus is 1 year old and im still at 100%, I don't get how some are already in the 80-90% range.

Granted the plus doesn't have the features as the pro does but in fairness do you want your phone to be sitting there using battery when it doesn't need to.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
It’s not only the 14 Pro Max though. My 13 Pro (purchased Nov 5, 2021) is now at Battery health 90%, which is much more rapid degradation than for example my iPhone 7, which was at 84% on the original battery when I retired it after six years.

Reactions: viking_01

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s not only the 14 Pro Max though. My 13 Pro (purchased Nov 5, 2021) is now at Battery health 90%, which is much more rapid degradation than for example my iPhone 7, which was at 84% on the original battery when I retired it after six years.

You’re talking about 90% after 2 years compared to 90% after not even a year here.

Reactions: Cayden and max2

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
30 days till my 14 plus is 1 year old and im still at 100%, I don't get how some are already in the 80-90% range.

Granted the plus doesn't have the features as the pro does but in fairness do you want your phone to be sitting there using battery when it doesn't need to.

nice to hear that, because....

I will buy a 14 Plus for the same reasons...

after using my SE 2020 for 3 years now with only moderate battery "degradation" to 86% at this moment (which is fine after 3 years) I need for both professional and personal reasons an iPhone battery with more capacity.
And a larger and less energy consuming screen with a larger on-screen keyboard for professional reasons and a 512 GB space.

Prices for the "old" 14 Plus get cheaper every day now and this is the moment to purchase now.

--> As for limiting battery consumption during the day:

There as a million recommendations (even made by apple themselfes) about presets and things/limitations to chose in the IOS system on every iPhone that will not reduce using pleasure and comfort but reduce enormiously battery consumption.

one of them being activatibg "optimal charging" which I chose at the very beginning.

I am really astonished about the fact that people buy at day one a extremely expensive (= the MOST expensive model) smartphone and scandalize the fact that their battery capacity falls (maybe a little bit more than with prior iPhones).

apple now has drastically reduced their price for exchanging the battery of their iP 14 and iP14 Plus so that an exchange of the battery is a no-brainer. And this also for exchanging the screen.

The reason for that is that these two "basic" models have a design of the electronic parts inside that allows to open front and rear sides and reach much more easily all the compnents inside than with the 14 Pro/max components.

The 14 Pro/Max models are the LAST models that have been designed neglecting following costs for repair -

So is the good news for iP14/Plus owners.

As for all future products including the iP15:
apple designs from now on products being much more repair-friendly. Maybe this is thanks to stricter legislation of the European Union which demands definitely more environmental-friendly design for electronic devices which began with the design to charge only by USB-c connections for ALL smartdevices imported in the EU.

So we have to thank the EU (and in parts the US legislation as well) for both : legislations that protect the environemet AND making pressure even on the most mighty and arrogant enterprises on earth -with the nice side-effect that repairs will get more easy and cheaper for their clients. Abd third-party and owners themselves can repair much easier than before.

Conclusion:
Why complaining about "degrading" batteries although exchanging the battery will cost less than 1o% of the price when purchased ? After this little investment it will be as new.

--->> Recommendation for 14Pro/Max owners:

Make pressure on apple to reduce theur pruce for replacing batteries of these models o the same level as for the badus models!

And think about going to court to reach that aim- because apple should pay himself for idiotic internal design of their iPhone-housings...

Last edited:

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I think you nailed exactly what this article was trying to get at, and to help others when getting a battery replacement at Apple for your iPhone 14 Pro (if you keep it). I would request a Sunwoda battery as a replacement if I kept my iPhone 14 Pro Max. In the end, like every year though, I will get the new phone but especially this year since I think the iPhone 14 was not of the greatest releases to date. I think the 15 Pro Max will be a powerful unit, but only to be topped by a completely revamped iPhone 16 Pro Max camera system next year (which will definitely hook me).

inthequantum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
You’re talking about 90% after 2 years compared to 90% after not even a year here.
great point and one I made to Apple and my friends who have the 13 Pro Max. They are at 90% after 2 YEARS of use, when our 14 Pro Max's are down to 90% (wait let me check... phew, still at 90%) after 1 YEAR of use.

I was saying to myself if my battery drops below 90% (I just need 1% more to drop) before the iPhone 15 Pro Max is released then I am allowed to get it. 🤣

Reactions: akash.nu

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Checking the battery health on my launch day 14 pro max it says 94% in the battery app. Not sure how many charge cycles but my phone is in the red every night before bed.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
My coconut battery results show my iPhone 14 pro max at 102 percent health. I purchased it at the end of December. I have around 180 charge cycles on it. This happened because I started using the 40 80 charging rule after getting this phone.
What is that

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
14pm launch say and at 93%. Was at 94% two weeks ago so it is interesting. I use magsafe almost exclusively and never use optimized charging.

Plan to get a 15pm or maybe a regular 15+ this time

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
What is that
40/80 usually means don't let your phone go below 40% or over 80% SoC (state of charge). It's the "sweet spot" batteries like this are best at. Sitting at 100% all the time isn't good for it, dropping low and recharging isn't good, etc. Also heat makes a big difference, like not gaming and charging at the same time because it overheats the phone and can create more wear and tear on the battery.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Another reference point - wife's 14PM Sunwoda is at 89%(ios) and 90.8%(coconut) - given of course the abuse of 450 charging cycles. Though it doesn't deter the phone from holding 12.5-14 hrs SOT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.