Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
It’s not looking good, unboxed & set up Nov 25 so ~10 months old. Yes it came overprovisioned but alas

Edit: Also it’s on 94% health in settings
IMG_5710.jpg

Last edited:

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
It’s not looking good, unboxed & set up Nov 25 so ~10 months old. Yes it came overprovisioned but alas

Edit: Also it’s on 94% health in settings

View attachment 2273407
Serious question though? It still
Last way longer than you need. I am at the same but not bothered by it.

I am however getting a 15pm tomorrow but not because of battery health

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Serious question though? It still
Last way longer than you need. I am at the same but not bothered by it.

I am however getting a 15pm tomorrow but not because of battery health
Yeah no it was just me complaining cause I’m bored ha. I’m skipping ahead to the 16 pro max next year so I don’t really mind the capacity loss as long as it gets me thru the day.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
14 Pro Max - got on launch day 2022. Battery health is currently 88% and I typically charge once a day overnight on an Apple MagSafe charger. I definitely notice a decrease in daily use and look forward to my 15 ProMax that's arriving on Fri. Hopefully this battery does better.
Such expensive devices at the mercy of the cheapest battery Apple's bean counters could possibly source. I bet the batteries stand them at less than $10.

If only the user could easily replace these batteries once a year for a reasonable sum without having to tear the phone apart, aesthetically damaging it in the process, to install a non-OEM battery of dubious origin. It would eliminate all the battery anxiety that folk have with their devices. I don't know how the phone manufacturers have the cheek to give us settings which limit charging to 80% in order to save a little battery degradation. Just let us replace the batteries you scammers!

This built-in obsolescence doesn't bother those who upgrade yearly but for the rest it's an insult. Extended battery life is one of the best features of premium devices so to have the longevity of these expensive devices at the mercy of a $10 battery is disgusting. With phones, tablets and laptops getting increasingly more expensive and the yearly tech advancement getting ever slower people are going to be hanging onto their devices longer. None of this really mattered with the affordable 12 month contracts of old.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Yeah no it was just me complaining cause I’m bored ha. I’m skipping ahead to the 16 pro max next year so I don’t really mind the capacity loss as long as it gets me thru the day.
Same but getting 15pm for 5x, portrait mode changes, rounded edges and transfer speed to my Mac as I do some YT stuff but only use my phone for videos.

Reactions: HuNay

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Same but getting 15pm for 5x, portrait mode changes, rounded edges and transfer speed to my Mac as I do some YT stuff but only use my phone for videos.
I hope you enjoy your 15! Looking forward to playing with the new 5x and checking out the titanium finishes.

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
I hope you enjoy your 15! Looking forward to playing with the new 5x and checking out the titanium finishes.
Yes I am sure I will. Love my 14pm and the 15pm being a little better via some quality of life improvements is all good with me.

Reactions: HuNay

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I don't trust Coconut. I just plugged my iPhone 12 Pro Max in and it says 86.8% battery health. But my battery settings says 79% and bring in for service.

One of them is wrong, and Apple has more of an incentive to get it right to avoid giving a free battery replacement.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Not sure why this even matters?
Really? So less & less SOT and less & less standby time is a good thing? People being so anxious about the batteries in their expensive devices that they cripple their enjoyment of the device by charging it from 40-80%? Battery health shouldn't even be a topic on these forums. Battery degrading? Buy a new one for $40 and insert it yourself under the removable back panel (with rubber seal for water resistance).

• Love
Reactions: rocketbuc

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Really? So less & less SOT and less & less standby time is a good thing? People being so anxious about the batteries in their expensive devices that they cripple their enjoyment of the device by charging it from 40-80%? Battery health shouldn't even be a topic on these forums. Battery degrading? Buy a new one for $40 and insert it yourself under the removable back panel (with rubber seal for water resistance).
It shouldn’t be a topic. If it’s less than 80% then Apple will replace it if you have AppleCare+. Otherwise you can pay to get a new battery for a small fee. People really stress about something that doesn’t matter IMO.

Reactions: xpxp2002

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I don't trust Coconut. I just plugged my iPhone 12 Pro Max in and it says 86.8% battery health. But my battery settings says 79% and bring in for service.

One of them is wrong, and Apple has more of an incentive to get it right to avoid giving a free battery replacement.
Neither is wrong, though neither is perfectly accurate either. Nevertheless, Apple’s (i.e., iOS Settings) will have a more accurate value because it seems to be an average rather than an only right now, which is what coconutBattery reports.

Furthermore, I suggest you check out two posts on another battery-related thread:

For context:

Evidence:

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Still at 100%. Mine spent most of the time either at my home office MagSafe stand or MagSafe in the car, but still trading the 14 Pro Max in for the 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: ibookemo

Allahu Akbar

Suspended
Feb 21, 2023
Such expensive devices at the mercy of the cheapest battery Apple's bean counters could possibly source. I bet the batteries stand them at less than $10.

If only the user could easily replace these batteries once a year for a reasonable sum without having to tear the phone apart, aesthetically damaging it in the process, to install a non-OEM battery of dubious origin. It would eliminate all the battery anxiety that folk have with their devices. I don't know how the phone manufacturers have the cheek to give us settings which limit charging to 80% in order to save a little battery degradation. Just let us replace the batteries you scammers!

This built-in obsolescence doesn't bother those who upgrade yearly but for the rest it's an insult. Extended battery life is one of the best features of premium devices so to have the longevity of these expensive devices at the mercy of a $10 battery is disgusting. With phones, tablets and laptops getting increasingly more expensive and the yearly tech advancement getting ever slower people are going to be hanging onto their devices longer. None of this really mattered with the affordable 12 month contracts of old.
100% agree! And on top of that Apple clames to be eco friendly.

Reactions: sunking101

DerbyGrange

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
iPhone 14 Pro.
Desay Corporation
2022-07-25
440 Days
Design capacity: 3200 mAh
Fully charge Capacity: 3115 mAh
Coconut battery health: 97.1%
iOS Battery health: 94% 🤷🏻‍♀️

That’s odd. I had 100% before the iOS 17 update and it went down to 94% after the upgrade. But which Battery health is now the correct one. Coconut Battery or the iPhone/iOS battery health? 🤔 And everyone has over 4k charge capacity and I have only 3200 mAh is this normal?

Last edited:

viking_01

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
I tend to believe that Coconut and Apple measure different things. A given battery might have 4,000mAh capacity if a small load is applied, say 200mA (or 0.05C - C is Capacity) but less if a bigger load is applied - say at 800mA, 0.2C it might only be 3,600mAh.

Coconut % capacity tends to be higher so may reflect capacity at a lower, ideal or standby load.
Apple % capacity tends to be lower so may reflect capacity at an averaged or real-world experienced load.

In summary the same battery measured with different loads can result in different measured capacities - it’s the test that’s different.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

When you say expensive, keep this in mind!

Reactions: MacCheetah3

bogie66

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
This has been my worse battery for an iPhone since they started to let you keep track. iPhone Pro Max is down to 88% after a year. The XS Max that the 14 replaced, was at 85% when I sold it. I think there is definitely a bad batch of batteries out there. I have done nothing different with this phone than any other iPhone I have owned, I don't own a fast charger.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This has been my worse battery for an iPhone since they started to let you keep track. iPhone Pro Max is down to 88% after a year. The XS Max that the 14 replaced, was at 85% when I sold it. I think there is definitely a bad batch of batteries out there. I have done nothing different with this phone than any other iPhone I have owned, I don't own a fast charger.
Apple source the cheapest batteries they possibly can and then glue them deep inside your expensive gadget, purposefully crippling it's longevity. The least they could do is put in the very best battery....but no.

newdev9

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2023
I purchased my 14 pro new in mid March 2023. I’m down to 93% battery health as of tonight. Dropped 2% alone in the past week and seems like there’s no stopping this decline. I did research on this and yes, I understand battery health goes down, batteries degrade etc but I feel this is a repeat of my iPhone 12 I had.

I purchased an iPhone 12 new in August 2021. By may 2022 I was down to 91%. No rhyme or reason. I only use the Apple charger with it and I don’t use it very heavily or let it die to 0.

The next phone I had was the 13 pro max. Loved that phone but it was just too heavy and cumbersome so I purchased a 14 pro. I stayed at 100% right until iOS 17 launch day where I promptly dropped to 99% on the day I updated. Like I said it’s been on the decline ever since then. I’ve noticed I don’t quite get the battery life I did on iOS 16. My 13 pro max I purchased new in July 2022 and it stayed at 100% until I sold it in march of 2023. I updated it and used it as normal.

What gives with battery health?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
My launch day 14 Pro rapidly dropped and just kind of stopped dropping at 88%. My partner, who used his launch day 14 Pro much more than I use mine is at 90%. Mine is on a MagSafe charger for every charge, but he switches between that and a charging cable - so I'm not sure if that has much to do with the discrepancy or not.

In comparison, the 12 mini I had before it, was at 86% battery health after about two years when I got rid of it.

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max had the best battery. I remember in the keynote Joz emphasized iPhone 13 Pro battery life. I regret for selling the 13 Pro Max for the 14 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.