Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
My first Evergreen case had rattling buttons. Exchanged it. The second one was without any issues at first, but today -after a few days of using it- the Action Button started to move and rattle…

Was it just from normal use or did you take it off a lot? That worries me. My first case had very loose buttons. I finally found one in the store that had firm buttons. Really hope they don’t loosen.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
I feel the material can be molded with use, deform, like fabric. I expect all the buttons to come a bit loose eventually. Again, I think whom who wants perfection should pick a silicone case. I just picked a clay gray for my black 15PM, love it. Perfect fit. Will move between this and my black FW

CaféPicasso

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2022
Was it just from normal use or did you take it off a lot? That worries me. My first case had very loose buttons. I finally found one in the store that had firm buttons. Really hope they don’t loosen.
I didn't take the case off a lot, just once to put on a screen protector. But I didn't get worse over time luckily. Maybe it stops rattling one day... who knows. Besides that I love this case more than I thought I would!

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
So I ended up picking up a Pacific Blue FineWoven (official) to go along with my knockoff Ali Express green one. I thought I'd take some macro shots and compare the construction of the two. With both side by side, it's easy to see which is the knockoff, but without reference, it's much harder. For the record, I really like the finewoven cases...they look really nice, IMO (especially the blue), and I like the feel too. I'm generally not too rough on my cases, so hopefully mine stays in decent condition. So far no permanent marks through 2.5 days.

Key differences:
1) The official FW case is a fair bit thinner than the knockoff, presumably because of the microfiber lining used rather than just having FW fabric on the inside like the official case.

2) The woven/coated weave at the edges is different, with the official having more coating and less visible fibers.

3) The buttons on the knockoff are thinner and not as precicely cut as the official buttons, though they work fine.

4) The apple logo is accentuated differently, with the knockoff having much more defined edges.

Surprisingly, the weave is actually very similar between the two, as is the feel in the hand.

Some shots comparing the two. Green is AliExpress knockoff, Blue is official Apple. (for those interested, taken with the Nikon Z8 and MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S macro:
View attachment 2285953

Sides w/ buttons. Can see the button size difference, the difference in edge weave and the thickness difference.
View attachment 2285954

Closeup of the finewoven fabric:
View attachment 2285952
^^ Post of the year! (not kidding)

A few weeks ago, I came across this post from @KentuckyHouse and decided to try a FW case from AliExpress, for my 15 Pro. I upgrade iPhones every year, and always get genuine Apple cases, save for a general move towards Caudabe Sheath, since the Apple leather cases have been garbage since the iPhone 12 series.

I hadn't seen your photos/posts, or really any others about these Ali cases, when my Pacific Blue version arrived yesterday. After examining for just a few minutes, two anomalies led me to believe it was not genuine. I don't have a real FW case to compare with.

1. The Apple logo on the back has the same inconsistent sheen as shown in your photos, where parts of the logo are darker or has a different/inconsistent shine across the area of the logo. Not very Apple-like, for fresh-out-the-box.
2. The MagSafe animation color was more like a 'titanium colored ring' instead of blue (to match the case).

Looking at your photos, I can tell mine is the same knockoff. Same buttons differences, same side texture, interior felt, same edges around the Apple logo.

I am not at all disappointed, in fact quite the opposite as I've learned two valuable lessons. I now know what a FineWoven case feels like to daily drive. I'm not sure I'm sold yet, and pretty sure they're not worth the $60 to me. For the $15 shipped I paid, it was a cheap lesson to learn. Second, I've learned (knew?!) there was no such thing as a free lunch from AliExpress. I thought maybe @KentuckyHouse had found a seller with genuine stock, but now I know they're really really good fakes.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I also got a iPhone 13 Pro Max leather case from the same seller, to give to a family member. This one appears 'more genuine'(?) as at least the MagSafe animation is the correct color. I'm not bummed either if that one is a fake because I was really just trying to get a decent case in the desired color and a 95% knock-off will be good enough for the purpose, especially for the $14 I paid for it. Genuine new-old-stock Apple leather cases get harder to find for the Pro/Pro Max models, especially when the original phone is no longer sold, so this was basically my only option.

Last edited:

Cotypubby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2020
Everything Apple on AliExpress are fakes and knockoffs. I don’t know why people don’t want to believe that and continue to think they found some secret way to get $50 cases for $2. They are not “the same exact cases made in the same factories.” The materials and construction are noticeably lower quality.

Now for a few dollars is it worth it?Maybe. I have a couple coming from there myself. But I am under no impression that they are actually Apple quality.

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Everything Apple on AliExpress are fakes and knockoffs. I don’t know why people don’t want to believe that and continue to think they found some secret way to get $50 cases for $2. They are not “the same exact cases made in the same factories.” The materials and construction are noticeably lower quality.

Now for a few dollars is it worth it?Maybe. I have a couple coming from there myself. But I am under no impression that they are actually Apple quality.
Yup. I grabbed a silicone knockoff for 7 dollars and for that price I think it’s worth it especially because I don’t think Apple silicone cases are any better quality/more durable than others. The knockoff is practically indistinguishable

As a backup for the Finewoven case it’s worth it

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands

I was so stupid to believe the ‘side hustle’-story on X. Some people said that these cases on Ali actually come from the same factories as Apples. Especially when they are ‘originally’ or ‘genuine’.

The good thing was that I have got a refund, because it wasn’t ‘original’ and Ali found that misleading. But otherwise, it would have been 20 euro’s down the drain. I even have tried to give away my case for free. Nobody wants it.

I’m still waiting on the Aulumu Vegan Leather White case. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. It already went through customs. I have high hopes on that case. ;)

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
I’ve been using my fake apple “leather” case for my 15 Pro Max for a week and it’s been my favorite case out of the other 3 Otterboxes I got. Totally worth the $12 I spent.

Reactions: pin87a

S7anley

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2020
Cheltenham, England
^^ Post of the year! (not kidding)

A few weeks ago, I came across this post from @KentuckyHouse and decided to try a FW case from AliExpress, for my 15 Pro. I upgrade iPhones every year, and always get genuine Apple cases, save for a general move towards Caudabe Sheath, since the Apple leather cases have been garbage since the iPhone 12 series.

I hadn't seen your photos/posts, or really any others about these Ali cases, when my Pacific Blue version arrived yesterday. After examining for just a few minutes, two anomalies led me to believe it was not genuine. I don't have a real FW case to compare with.

1. The Apple logo on the back has the same inconsistent sheen as shown in your photos, where parts of the logo are darker or has a different/inconsistent shine across the area of the logo. Not very Apple-like, for fresh-out-the-box.
2. The MagSafe animation color was more like a 'titanium colored ring' instead of blue (to match the case).

Looking at your photos, I can tell mine is the same knockoff. Same buttons differences, same side texture, interior felt, same edges around the Apple logo.

I am not at all disappointed, in fact quite the opposite as I've learned two valuable lessons. I now know what a FineWoven case feels like to daily drive. I'm not sure I'm sold yet, and pretty sure they're not worth the $60 to me. For the $15 shipped I paid, it was a cheap lesson to learn. Second, I've learned (knew?!) there was no such thing as a free lunch from AliExpress. I thought maybe @KentuckyHouse had found a seller with genuine stock, but now I know they're really really good fakes.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I also got a iPhone 13 Pro Max leather case from the same seller, to give to a family member. This one appears 'more genuine'(?) as at least the MagSafe animation is the correct color. I'm not bummed either if that one is a fake because I was really just trying to get a decent case in the desired color and a 95% knock-off will be good enough for the purpose, especially for the $14 I paid for it. Genuine new-old-stock Apple leather cases get harder to find for the Pro/Pro Max models, especially when the original phone is no longer sold, so this was basically my only option.
I‘m not being funny but if you’d only used an aliexpress fw knockoff you definitely don’t know what a fine woven case feels like. It seems this case is like marmite some love it, some hate it. Just get one from Apple and return it if it isn’t for you.

Contrary to some that hate the feel I find this material to be such a sensory stimulation for my hands. I constantly rub my fingers on the back and sides. While the back feels soft the material on the sides is so grippy, almost rubber like yet it stays clean and doesn’t collect dust, and gives you this tingling sensation when you lightly rub your fingertips against it.
I was disappointed when Apple announced the end of apple leather cases as I’ve used them for years but they weren’t perfect either. The leather didn’t stain so easily but you could never get the case cleaned to its original look. The leather would get sticky after a while and god forbid I open a card that has glitter on it near the phone. The stuff just never comes off. I’ve yet to drop my 15PM in the fw case but scuffed leather didn’t look good either.

So far my impressions of the fine woven, despite all the click bait hate and the herd mentality of people trashing it without even using it for any period of time.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I‘m not being funny but if you’d only used an aliexpress fw knockoff you definitely don’t know what a fine woven case feels like. It seems this case is like marmite some love it, some hate it. Just get one from Apple and return it if it isn’t for you.
I went to the Apple Store in Dallas this past weekend and saw a real one in person. The official blue was richer/brighter than my knockoff, but they felt the same.

If you've never had the Ali knock-off, how can you tell me they don't feel the same?

I'm not trying to justify the knock-off, in fact when my Caudabe Sheath (with action button cover) arrives later today, the fake FineWoven will probably never go back on.

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I came to the 15 Pro Max and FineWoven case from an Xs Max and an Apple leather case. I think the FW case is superior. When I got the Xs Max and leather case almost exactly five years ago, the Apple case was almost as slippery as the iPhone sans case. I remember using fine sandpaper to knock off some of the finish to give it some grip. Eventually the case was fine. But over time it did rub off on a Belkin Qi charger. And it wasn't much protection when I dropped my iPhone in the bathroom sink from a height of about one foot, the result of which was the back glass broke. The leather case did keep the glass from falling out, however.

And I've like the FW case enough that I bought the Apple Wallet.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
I went to the Apple Store in Dallas this past weekend and saw a real one in person. The official blue was richer/brighter than my knockoff, but they felt the same.

If you've never had the Ali knock-off, how can you tell me they don't feel the same?

I'm not trying to justify the knock-off, in fact when my Caudabe Sheath (with action button cover) arrives later today, the fake FineWoven will probably never go back on.
I don’t know which knock-off you have bought from Ali, but the knock-off I have got, differs night and day from the genuine Apple FineWoven cases. It has a very different feel, the sides feel different too and the buttons are not as tactile. Also, to me it was a pain to take the knock-off case off.

Fun thing to do: get your iPhone 15 Pro Max and make a picture of both cases. You can clearly see the difference in quality. The knock-off show the painting really well, while the originals do not.

I know this, as I have a knock-off case and two FineWoven cases. Which all currently are sitting in a drawer, now that I have my Aulumu.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I've read this thread and others here on MR (thanks to everyone for the informative posts). It sounds like this is case with very mixed reviews with durability and stain resistance being the main concerns. It's also a pricey case to buy if you don't really just love it.

I usually use the phone without a case, but wouldn't mind having a case with light-mid level protection for occasional use. Since it would be occasional use, the durability aspect isn't as important to me as long as its decent anyway.

So I went to Apple store and checked the FW out. They are reasonably light, and I personally like the feel. But between durability concerns, stain concerns and the $60 price tag, I passed. If I could find a used or open box Taupe for the Pro Max, at $30-$35, I would get one though. 😉

Reactions: Mattym62

Yayi

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2023
I've been using the FineWoven case for just a week, and it's been a huge disappointment. Despite being kept in my bag with care, the corner is already damaged, which is unacceptable. Additionally, it attracts dirt like a magnet, making constant cleaning necessary. The warranty seems limited, excluding fiscal damage, but I expected better durability from a supposedly high-quality case. Overall, it feels like a waste of money on this overpriced and poorly-performing product.

I wish I had read one of the many reviews

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/20/23882255/apple-iphone-15-finewoven-case-wallet-bad

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
My fine-woven wallet (evergreen) after about a month-and-a-half.

It’s looking a bit worse for wear especially around the edges where the colour has worn off. Still, I don’t think it looks ugly, and the leather wallet I had before wore in all the same places - it just took a bit longer.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 170

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

It’s looking a bit worse for wear especially around the edges where the colour has worn off. Still, I don’t think it looks ugly, and the leather wallet I had before wore in all the same places - it just took a bit longer.
I think that looks really good. We may have to start an Apple FineWoven patina proud thread.

Lowgun84

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
OK

The wear on the edges reminds me of a worn pair of jeans. I dont mind it at all.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
I decided to order the fine woven again and guess what, I really like it!

The first case I had for my 15 PM was a black FW but it only lasted 24 hours as I read all the negativity online and decided to send it back and try something else. I have tried a LOT of cases since and nothing has really felt right. I ended up using an apple silicone and really liked the slimness and the fit but while I like the grip, I can’t get over the stickiness. So when Amazon UK had £10 off a fine woven in black I decided to try again.

I really like the feel of it. I love the buttons and the thin light feel. I find the sides grippy most of the time although the back is a bit too slippery if I am being critical. I don’t throw my phones around so have had no issues with scratches or damage so far. The only real negative is it creaks a little on one side. Don’t notice this all the time but it’s almost a little loose in one place. I may send it back and try another to see if the fit is better but other than that it is by far my favourite case out of the many I have tried.

I will caveat all that by saying I wasn’t a fan of the leather case so I don’t miss it and it’s nice for apple to offer something other than silicone. I think there are improvements they can make for sure but I do think all the online hate is way overblown.

Last edited:

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Another user back in a FineWoven here too.

Love my YMW nappa but have been yearning for Apple's slimness and buttons - the YMW is slightly thicker and the buttons sit prouder.

Really liking this at the moment.

Evergreen FW and grey YMW Nappa on rotation

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
Does anyone have the black and blue FW? If so which do you prefer? I might order a new one because the fit isn’t great and not sure whether to go for black again or try the blue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.