Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
iOS 17 is fine. I was using my iPhone 11 days ago. This is a spin off topic for those who find the iPhone 15 is the problem. My iPhone 15 came and the problems started. My particular issue is on a 2021 Prius LE.

Subject says what it is.

Anyone else having issues or have a resolution? I've tried several USB A to USB C wires, none of them are allowing the phone to connect to Carplay. Carplay on my phone is recognized and showing as connected, but the Prius dash does not allow me to connect and will only play music through Bluetooth.

Yes, I restarted the dash several times.

Yes, I "forgot the car" on my phone several times.

Yes, I restarted my phone.

Yes, I toggled bluetooth off and on.

Yes, I turned the car off and on.

Anyone else having an issue?

Also, LONG TERM lurker (since the 2000s!) Hi!

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
I connected my 15 Pro Max to CarPlay just earlier. On my ID.4 I connected my phone with the car’s Bluetooth then I went to the app connect app on the car and selected CarPlay (and the other option was Bluetooth connect which I did not touch). My car has wireless CarPlay so didn’t have to connect anything.

Sometimes when my car gets wonky with CarPlay I restart both my phone and my infotainment by just holding down the power button until the VW logo pops up, then try CarPlay connection again.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
I connected my 15 Pro Max to CarPlay just earlier. On my ID.4 I connected my phone with the car’s Bluetooth then I went to the app connect app on the car and selected CarPlay (and the other option was Bluetooth connect which I did not touch). My car has wireless CarPlay so didn’t have to connect anything.

Sometimes when my car gets wonky with CarPlay I restart both my phone and my infotainment by just holding down the power button until the VW logo pops up, then try CarPlay connection again.
I suppose I should add that I am exclusively talking about wired Carplay.

Last edited:

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
I suppose I should add that I am exclusively talking about wired Carplay.

You said you used different wires so I figured you don’t have wireless CarPlay, I was just stating how I connected to mine. The connection process is fairly the same. Wired is quicker, just plug in and accept CarPlay and that’s it.

Does your car show up on the settings? (Settings app > General > CarPlay)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
It does show up. On paper, it looks like it’s 100% working. It’s just that the dash does not give the option to press CarPlay at all. It’s the only disconnect.

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
Hmm. So either it’s just being wonky or it could be the wire. Not sure but I’m sort of thinking the wire you’re using isn’t outputting correctly to the car to where it isn’t being recognized. If your phone says it’s connected but your car isn’t, there’s a disconnect somewhere. I don’t want to say buy a new wire just in case it isn’t the wire, maybe someone else can chime in and see if it’s another issue.

Have you tried removing your old phone from CarPlay completely? My car stores older devices and I just removed them before connecting my new phone.

Another option: disconnect everything from the car, remove the car from Bluetooth, forget CarPlay on phone. On car disconnect all previous devices. Restart the phone and restart the car display (hold down power until restarts). I used this video for reference, I’m sure you did it correctly since you’ve done it before:

Reactions: Kung

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I worked for an automotive company for many years and one of my colleagues there gave me a solution that worked on our company’s vehicles (not Toyota) but may also work for others: to completely resolve an issue, you have to complete purge a phone from the vehicle’s memory. You did that by turning off the ignition, leaving the driver’s door open for at least 30 seconds with the key out of the ignition (if applicable) and all devices disconnected.

Worth a shot!

jkeane22

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2023
iOS 17 is fine. I was using my iPhone 11 days ago. This is a spin off topic for those who find the iPhone 15 is the problem. My iPhone 15 came and the problems started. My particular issue is on a 2021 Prius LE.

Subject says what it is.

Anyone else having issues or have a resolution? I've tried several USB A to USB C wires, none of them are allowing the phone to connect to Carplay. Carplay on my phone is recognized and showing as connected, but the Prius dash does not allow me to connect and will only play music through Bluetooth.

Yes, I restarted the dash several times.

Yes, I "forgot the car" on my phone several times.

Yes, I restarted my phone.

Yes, I toggled bluetooth off and on.

Yes, I turned the car off and on.

Anyone else having an issue?

Also, LONG TERM lurker (since the 2000s!) Hi!
Same problem. iPhone 15 seems to be the culprit. I chatted with AppleCare+ yesterday, and they have opened a case with the CarPlay team. Would really suck not to have dashboard navigation.

Meanwhile, the Bluetooth native media player in my car sounds a lot better with the iPhone 15 as the source than with prior phones. I’m thinking that’s the upgraded Bluetooth on the new phone.

Reactions: CptFloridaMan

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I’ve had ongoing annoying disconnecting issues between my VW and my iPhone 13. The 15 has similar intermittent issues - I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the abysmal VW in-car software and not the iPhone. Turning the car off and coming back in an hour seems to fix the problem and allow the phone to connect again, but the disconnection issue resurfaces every few days. It’s very annoying.

jkeane22

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2023
I’ve had ongoing annoying disconnecting issues between my VW and my iPhone 13. The 15 has similar intermittent issues - I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the abysmal VW in-car software and not the iPhone. Turning the car off and coming back in an hour seems to fix the problem and allow the phone to connect again, but the disconnection issue resurfaces every few days. It’s very annoying.
Could be, and now that you mention it my iPhone 12 hasn’t connected lately. I had chalked that up to the inherent crappiness of lightening cables because my Samsung works just peachy with a USB-C to USB-A cable on my VW.

Reactions: uller6

Marooned

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
It’s a software bug I think. I bought these from Amazon: using the stock usb cable that came with the phone

USB to USB C Adapter 2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LYHNSR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

But the behavior is really weird, the allow CarPlay window shows up briefly then disappears fast. You’ll see the phone charge and stop too. However, if you can get the Allow selection off in time, works normally. phone charges and CarPlay works. I did notice I have to unplug before I turn my car off and then repeat the process again when I turn my car back on. If I just leave them plugged in it seems it doesn’t notice that I have something plugged in. I tried another usb a to usb c cable and didn’t work at all. I’m still testing/messing around with it but this is what’s worked so far.

For now it works, but really hoping there are some cables they recommend or possibly a software update might be needed.

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA

We got wired CarPlay to work (albeit in a Volvo with an iPhone 15 Pro). We used the Anker USB-A to USB-C 310 cable.

Reactions: Tx_Geek62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
Tried all of the above, all of it. Nothing is working. I even downloaded a software update from Prius’ website, installed, it, tried all of this again from the start of my post, downward, and nothing.

The last multimedia software update for Prius was in 02/2022, so I wonder if it’s them who are lagging behind and causing this issue. But, with so many other cars having issues, I doubt it?

I went so far as to buy Anker cables. Nothing.

I don’t have AppleCare+ — @jkeane22, could you please keep us updated on what they say?

Marooned

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
I just went to Best Buy and purchased insignia brand usb to usb c and it’s working perfectly. Has to state data transfer and charge on the back. It’s labeled as a braided charging cable.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 277
Reactions: CptFloridaMan

pirategrad

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Austin, Texas
Having the same issue with a iPhone 15 Pro Max. Tried multiple cords on multiple vehicles - USB A to USB C (Ford Maverick, Toyota Tundra) , USB C to USB C, (Ford Maverick), and Wireless Carplay (2023 Toyota Tundra). All Failed. Restarted phone and it worked on the Maverick using USB A to USB C but crashed after about 10 minutes of driving. intermittent charging too. Tried to troubleshoot with wife’s iphone 15 Pro and had similar problems but was able to connect via a third party wireless Carplay box (Smart Box) but wasn’t able to test to see if it stayed connected. I’m thinking it’s the software update that took place on Friday. I used iOS 17 betas all summer and never had this issue.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
I just went to Best Buy and purchased insignia brand usb to usb c and it’s working perfectly. Has to state data transfer and charge on the back. It’s labeled as a braided charging cable.
This is sadly not the fix.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
Having the same issue with a iPhone 15 Pro Max. Tried multiple cords on multiple vehicles - USB A to USB C (Ford Maverick, Toyota Tundra) , USB C to USB C, (Ford Maverick), and Wireless Carplay (2023 Toyota Tundra). All Failed. Restarted phone and it worked on the Maverick using USB A to USB C but crashed after about 10 minutes of driving. intermittent charging too. Tried to troubleshoot with wife’s iphone 15 Pro and had similar problems but was able to connect via a third party wireless Carplay box (Smart Box) but wasn’t able to test to see if it stayed connected. I’m thinking it’s the software update that took place on Friday. I used iOS 17 betas all summer and never had this issue.
Did you use the iPhone 15 Pro Max pre-Friday software update?

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
This seems to be an issue quite A handful of folks are having and it’s quite frustrating. I hope it’s a software issue but I’ve had all the betas prior to the 15 release without any car play issues. maybe it’s a usb-a to usb-c issue…who knows. I’ll pick up another cable sometime this week for one last effort… :(

pirategrad

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Austin, Texas
This seems to be an issue quite A handful of folks are having and it’s quite frustrating. I hope it’s a software issue but I’ve had all the betas prior to the 15 release without any car play issues. maybe it’s a usb-a to usb-c issue…who knows. I’ll pick up another cable sometime this week for one last effort… :(
My Maverick has both connection ports - USB A and USB C and neither work. Wired or Wireless didn’t work either on my Tundra. It’s definitely a software issue because my wife’s phone 15 Pro has the same problems. Couldn’t connect via wired connection on the Maverick and Toyota Highlander. It connected via a third party wireless CarPlay device but couldn’t test whether it was stable or not. I also tried different cables to see if that was the problem and no dice. Hope a fix comes soon or they come out with iOS 17.1 beta to see if that has the same problems.

Reactions: imlovinit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
So, fun update: CarPlay is working for me!

I chatted Apple Care who had me go through everything we went through in this topic. Then:

Rename my phone

Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Then, had me remove my VPN (Google One)

Went to my car, connected, and it worked! The rep mentioned that it was most likely the VPN and the way to do this is to remove to VPN, connect to CarPlay, then you can add the VPN back and it should not cause any issues.

pirategrad

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Austin, Texas

I chatted Apple Care who had me go through everything we went through in this topic. Then:

Rename my phone

Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Went to my car, connected, and it worked! The rep mentioned that it was most likely the VPN and the way to do this is to remove to VPN, connect to CarPlay, then you can add the VPN back and it should not cause any issues.
Thanks for posting this. I will try this shortly and report back.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Rename my phone

Was this to get CarPlay to work wirelessly or wired?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.