Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pirategrad

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Austin, Texas
Was this to get CarPlay to work wirelessly or wired?
Confirming that this works except for VPN part. I reset network settings, uninstalled the VPN profiles for both Google One and VPN Unlimited. I reconnected to my vehicle using a wired connection it worked fine on a Toyota Tundra; wireless would not work. Drove Tundra home from work (about 30 minute drive) and was flawless.

When I got home, I reinstalled both VPNs. VPN Unlimited worked when reinstalled profile and connected. Google One was a no go. When Google One VPN was connected, CarPlay didn’t work and was not recognized. Activating VPN after being connected to Carplay, crashed CarPlay.

I tried this on my wife’s phone who only has Google One VPN with same results. So, at least for me, its Google One causing the CarPlay connection problems.

I also tried this on a Ford Maverick wired connection and it worked as well except for the Google One VPN.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
Oy, I just went to my car to check and am having the same issue. If a VPN is activated when the car starts, the car will not pick up CarPlay at all. If the VPN is disabled, CarPlay starts, then if I turn the VPN back on CarPlay crashes.

Guess we found the problem. Who wants to report it to Apple? Who wants to ask them if we get a raise?!

This is PROBABLY an issue with Google One more than anything, especially since VPN Unlimited doesn’t seem to be giving @pirategrad much issue. Google’s VPN is not always the best. It still won’t work on my 2013 MacBook Pro, but is fine on my 2021 MacBook Pro. It was only a matter of time before they fell behind with a new iOS and/or Phone update.

Hopefully this is resolved with whichever party ASAP. I don’t mind driving around sans-VPN, but will probably start forgetting to toggle it back on when I’m at home and casually browsing the internet.

Reactions: pirategrad

Tx_Geek62

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
Houston, TX
Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

jkeane22

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2023
Tried all of the above, all of it. Nothing is working. I even downloaded a software update from Prius’ website, installed, it, tried all of this again from the start of my post, downward, and nothing.

The last multimedia software update for Prius was in 02/2022, so I wonder if it’s them who are lagging behind and causing this issue. But, with so many other cars having issues, I doubt it?

I went so far as to buy Anker cables. Nothing.

I don’t have AppleCare+ — @jkeane22, could you please keep us updated on what they say?
Yup will do

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Dang, I went to check the vpn & realized don’t even have an active vpn downloaded on this phone yet so doubt that option will work on mine.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

MSilver

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Same problem here, I also tried with another cable, I tried all resetting and stuff and didn't work.
Wired connection, I don't have any vpn or anything else that may cause any problem.
Going to buy a premium cable (!) to see if it works today.

crimsontwo

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Not working for me at all, either. I've never used VPN on my phone, and wired CarPlay worked seamlessly for my iPhone 14 pm. nada for the 15 pm. so frustrating.

Tuppery Numnak

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
I can connect fine but has anyone seen their battery draining despite it “charging” while using CarPlay? Just simply listening to music and my battery will drain while being plugged in. Also, I’m seeing Apple Maps sporadically not updating while in use in CarPlay. I’m so over this **** from Apple and debating returning my phone before I send my 14 Pro Max back to Apple. If I can even return the 15 in the Apple Upgrade Program.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Same problem here, I also tried with another cable, I tried all resetting and stuff and didn't work.
Wired connection, I don't have any vpn or anything else that may cause any problem.
Going to buy a premium cable (!) to see if it works today.

Crazy, it took using another cable to finally work. Not sure what the magic wire it should be. The previous cable I tried was a general data cable and then I decided to try my kobo e-reader cable before buying anything & it ended up working. Finally.

If buying a premium cable ends up working for you, let us know here. It probably will help save some of us from trying every cable lol

Tx_Geek62

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
Houston, TX
I ordered these as well and it seems to have fixed my issue as well.
I may have jumped the gun when I said it fixed the issue. It did right out of the box. The next day it took 3 or 4 plug-ins to get it to work. This morning I stopped to get gas. The phone was plugged it and CarPlay was working prior to shutting off the car. When I fired it back up, nada - had to do the plug-in/out thing a few times before CarPlay came to life. Anker makes great cables (and everything else) so I don’t think the issue is with them.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Luvky13

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I may have jumped the gun when I said it fixed the issue. It did right out of the box. The next day it took 3 or 4 plug-ins to get it to work. This morning I stopped to get gas. The phone was plugged it and CarPlay was working prior to shutting off the car. When I fired it back up, nada - had to do the plug-in/out thing a few times before CarPlay came to life. Anker makes great cables (and everything else) so I don’t think the issue is with them.
I have tried many cables and they all end up with the same issue. It does make me want to return the phone because I just cannot stand the drama. I ordered one for the wife also and I know shes not going to want to deal with it when it arrives. Hope Apple actually acknowledges the issue soon or Ill go back to my 13 PM.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Maybe we need to report it to Apple?

Luvky13

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I will be calling tech support today myself to see what they have to say. If I get blown off or they act like there is no issue (which to me means they arent going to work on it to fix it) Ill be returning mine. In that instance, Ill just go back to my 13PM and wait another year. No big deal for me one way or the other.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I can connect fine but has anyone seen their battery draining despite it “charging” while using CarPlay? Just simply listening to music and my battery will drain while being plugged in. Also, I’m seeing Apple Maps sporadically not updating while in use in CarPlay. I’m so over this **** from Apple and debating returning my phone before I send my 14 Pro Max back to Apple. If I can even return the 15 in the Apple Upgrade Program.
Maybe it's an ios17 related issues. Last week my mini 13 stopped charging in the car and wired carplay stopped working.

Thankfully I have wireless carplay to fall back on. This works on my 15 Pro. However wired carplay does not work with it.

Luvky13

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
Maybe it's an ios17 related issues. Last week my mini 13 stopped charging in the car and wired carplay stopped working.

Thankfully I have wireless carplay to fall back on. This works on my 15 Pro. However wired carplay does not work with it.
Mine and my wife's 13PM works perfectly find with iOS 17. Never an issue.

I spoke with Apple support this morning. Supposedly they are escalating the issue. The second person I spoke with said he can see there are other complaints about this as well. I told him flat out if I didnt hear that they know what the issue is and are going to be fixing it soon, Ill be returning the device and cancelling the wife's order. This is the first iPhone I have purchased on launch day and kinda wished I hadnt at this point lol

Last edited:

CptFloridaMan

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2019
Coming from a jeep forum, we’ve been having issues too. 2018+ Jeep wrangler JL, i’ve also seen other jeeps, WK2 and KL have issues. Not isolated to Uconnect head units but our 15s also.

I’ve forgotten the phone on the head unit, forgotten my jeep in my phone settings, tried all sorts of cables:
-USB A - lightning -> type c adapter
- type c port and cable
- now an anker usb A to usb c cable.

It takes a solid 3-5 plug ins to get carplay working as well.

I thought it was relating to standby turning on instead of carplay, but disabling it still nets the same result.

CptFloridaMan

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2019
Called apple, I’m told their engineers are aware and apparently working on a workaround, and will push an update eventually.

crimsontwo

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
The Anker cable mentioned in earlier posts worked. Even works through the USB-A>C adapter.

Still, I don’t understand why none of my other USB-C cables worked 🤷‍♂️ They all are premium cables that I use to power external monitors, charge my MBP, transfer data.

• Sad
Reactions: Macalicious2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.