Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptFloridaMan

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2019
This one works for me, but it’s just a matter of whether or not it takes 4-5 plug ins to get carplay working.

IMG_0865.png

stinnyTHEsnail

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
I don't think it's the cable...

I am unfortunately experiencing carplay issues as well. I upgraded on Friday to the 15 pro from the 12 mini, which had zero issues prior to the change. I have noticed a lot of responses regarding the cable, so to possibly clear the air on that.. I am using a brand new official Apple lightning cable with the brand new official Apple USB C to lightning adapter. Apple doesn't make a USB C to A cable and opted for this adapter instead (annoying all on its own with such a leap from a cable that has been standard for as long as it has, but they gotta sell those USB C charging bricks somehow, right?!).

It worked pretty well on Saturday and Sunday, with one or two disconnects that I didn't think much of and a simple unplug and plug back in got it back. Then Monday, for whatever reason, that started occurring more frequently. Today, I plug it in, it pops up and within 10-15 seconds the carplay screen freezes, disconnects, and you can then watch the phone enter a loop where it connects "charging", disconnects, connects "charging" disconnects etc, which will go on as long as you will let it before you just unplug it.

So, it's not the cable... If it is, then no cable is reliable being that I am using Apples own official products. Send help...

Last edited:

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Oy, I just went to my car to check and am having the same issue. If a VPN is activated when the car starts, the car will not pick up CarPlay at all. If the VPN is disabled, CarPlay starts, then if I turn the VPN back on CarPlay crashes.
CarPlay has never liked VPN's. I have to turn mine off when I'm in the car.

hoopsdude01

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
My issue with apple carplay has been the sound.. i have a 2019 RR sport & it works perfectly fine on Bluetooth, but when i switch over to Apple Carplay the sound crackles & scratches... What could be causing this? My buddy has a Ram & has the same issues.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
My issue with apple carplay has been the sound.. i have a 2019 RR sport & it works perfectly fine on Bluetooth, but when i switch over to Apple Carplay the sound crackles & scratches... What could be causing this? My buddy has a Ram & has the same issues.
Are you using a new cable or an older one? When this happens to me, I replace the cable and it usually fixes the issue. Remember it gets really hot/cold in the car and I think it damages the cables, especially the cheap ones.

Akapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
In my case, CarPlay was working fine with the provided USB-C cable from Apple to my Ford Maverick. After a couple of days, it stopped working. It would show this error on the car display: “This USB device is not supported. Please remove.”

I did the following to get it back to working:

1. From Car settings - removed the device
2. Restarted iPhone and then plugged in and it connected

Didn’t have to swap out cables

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I tried several cables that I had on hand, with varying degrees of success. Out of the two USB-A to USB-C cables I had, one worked correctly, while the other would connect for a few seconds and then disconnect. I also tried three USB-C to USB-C cables (with a USB-A adapter)... two of these worked fine, while one of them did nothing (not even a charging indication on the phone).

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Just chiming in to say that since upgrading to 15PM and 15Pro for the wife, wired Carplay not working on our 2017 Chevy. I don‘t have an adapter and am using generic A to C type cable which may not support data transfer. We had IOS 17 on her iPhone 11 and my 13PM and both worked fine (albeit with USBA to Lightning).

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
I don't think it's the cable...

I am unfortunately experiencing carplay issues as well. I upgraded on Friday to the 15 pro from the 12 mini, which had zero issues prior to the change. I have noticed a lot of responses regarding the cable, so to possibly clear the air on that.. I am using a brand new official Apple lightning cable with the brand new official Apple USB C to lightning adapter. Apple doesn't make a USB C to A cable and opted for this adapter instead (annoying all on its own with such a leap from a cable that has been standard for as long as it has, but they gotta sell those USB C charging bricks somehow, right?!).

It worked pretty well on Saturday and Sunday, with one or two disconnects that I didn't think much of and a simple unplug and plug back in got it back. Then Monday, for whatever reason, that started occurring more frequently. Today, I plug it in, it pops up and within 10-15 seconds the carplay screen freezes, disconnects, and you can then watch the phone enter a loop where it connects "charging", disconnects, connects "charging" disconnects etc, which will go on as long as you will let it before you just unplug it.

So, it's not the cable... If it is, then no cable is reliable being that I am using Apples own official products. Send help...

You can thank the EU for forcing Apple to change over to USB C.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
this one works for me:

except on one day, but after a restart of the iphone it is working again perfectly fine since then. i suspect the iphone is accountable for any discrepancies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.