Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Only real differences, the option for 24mp photos and auto portrait mode, seem to be a soft limitation too, since it is on the regular 15 which has the same CPU as the 14 Pro… you do get options for external ProRes recording and Apple’s new log profile for video, but that is a niche use case.

Those “pro” software new stuff are not useful for at least 99% normal users like me who just click the take photo or take video button, all auto mode. The only difference for normal users like me are:
-usb c
-different metal case
-the customised button
-10% faster cpu in Apple benchmark, may be closed to zero difference in real life.

All these are nice to have but don’t really have any big impact.

This is just 14.1 pro, not even 14s pro.

Reactions: jkozlow3

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Still the same battery, this argument is mute. Going to be hilarious when 15 owners will start complaining about how bad your battery life will be compared to the 13 again.
The battery is higher capacity, and the chip is 3nm. I imagine it'll have slightly better battery life.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
The battery is higher capacity, and the chip is 3nm. I imagine it'll have slightly better battery life.
3nm but one more GPU core, higher frequency, more Ram. According apple run-time is the same.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
3nm but one more GPU core, higher frequency, more Ram. According apple run-time is the same.
According to Apple, the iPhone 14 Pro has the same runtime as the 13 Pro, and we know that isn't the case.

GPU cores can be parked, the CPU is only clocked to the higher frequency when needed, more RAM is very negligable.

My prediction is that battery life will be better with general low-intensity use, like web browsing, social media use and messaging. Battery life may be the same or worse as the 14 Pro when under high load such as gaming or video rendering, due to the higher clockspeed, extra GPU core and RT cores.

Reactions: Dulcimer

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017

It appears Apple could not make 3nm anymore efficient in comparison to 4nm.

Even though battery capacity has slightly increased, battery life remains same. I bet, it will offer slightly worse battery life in comparison to 14PM.

In fact if would have been even slightly better Apple would have drummed and marketed it for good 1-2 mins in their event.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023

Even though battery capacity has slightly increased, battery life remains same. I bet, it will offer slightly worse battery life in comparison to 14PM.

In fact if would have been even slightly better Apple would have drummed and marketed it for good 1-2 mins in their event.

Not good for Apple future, that means Apple cannot really sell cpu is always much faster anymore, also the camera sensor size is closed to phone limit.

w_aldo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
Stockton-on-Tees, UK

it becomes inherently more efficent by moving to a smaller process node. Apple does not need to "do something" to make it more efficient.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Those “pro” software new stuff are not useful for at least 99% normal users like me who just click the take photo or take video button, all auto mode. The only difference for normal users like me are:
-usb c
-different metal case
-the customised button
-10% faster cpu in Apple benchmark, may be closed to zero difference in real life.

All these are nice to have but don’t really have any big impact.

This is just 14.1 pro, not even 14s pro.

For the way 99% of the world uses their phones (social media, texting/messaging, camera usage with pictures that will primarily be viewed on a small screen, etc.), there are no practical differences between the 13 Pro, 14 Pro and 15 Pro.

Everyone gets excited about some tiny spec bump (CPU, camera, etc.) that will be completely unnoticeable for 99% of users.

Do you upgrade your TV every year when there is some marginal 5% improvement vs. the previous year's model? Of course not. Phones are basically at that point.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For the way 99% of the world uses their phones (social media, texting/messaging, camera usage with pictures that will primarily be viewed on a small screen, etc.), there are no practical differences between the 13 Pro, 14 Pro and 15 Pro.

Everyone gets excited about some tiny spec bump (CPU, camera, etc.) that will be completely unnoticeable for 99% of users.

Do you upgrade your TV every year when there is some marginal 5% improvement vs. the previous year's model? Of course not. Phones are basically at that point.

Great post and a perfect analogy using TVs. It’s actually a good thing we are at this point, IMO. I remember a decade ago upgrading my phone every 6 months because the performance increase we extremely noticeable.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
But with every passing day since 15th, I am really struggling with the urge to cancel the order, I do not see any significant enhancement in any area, and even then apple had the audacity to jack up the prices in my country.
I'm always fascinated to read these comments year after year. If you saw no enhancement in any area, then what prompted the pre-order?

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Btw its bad for the environment to buy every year a new iphone and its unnecessary. I still don’t understand why every generation should have a huge difference? Why and how?
And its always the same ppl want more MP on cameras without understanding anything about cameras. Why does the Sony A7 SIII (4000$) has 12MP with a FULLFRAME Sensor? 200MP on 1/1.3 is the worst thing you can do and its just marketing ****.
Apple don’t joined the MP war and it was a good thing. On tiny sensors like that you can’t have much more without sacrifice a lot low light performance. More MP does NOT mean better image quality….
A printed 10x15 photo has around 4MP. Higher resolution are just needed for cropping. Even A4 need just around 8-10MP. But I know everyone want to make A1 prints … or print for walls ;-)

Point is there are differences between IP14PM and 15PM which are for some ppl completely useless and for some ppl very important. If theses changes are not for you, you can save a lot of money which is great isn’t it?
That Samsung crush anything will be told every time… for iphone users which want IOS and the apple ecosystem it doesn’t matter….
The short answer is because many still view iPhones as a status symbol & feel inadequate if they don't own the latest model on release day every year. The justifications that people come up with for yearly upgrades are mostly lip service. The truth is that many will continue to buy yearly whether it's the same exact phone or not.

Reactions: 3Rock

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I'm always fascinated to read these comments year after year. If you saw no enhancement in any area, then what prompted the pre-order?
Because there were conflicting articles and reports on better camera sensor / camera improvements at the time of preorder. This is not some rocket science to understand. Is it?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Except reviewers have said it lasts about ~40 minutes longer than the 14PM.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Funny people will spend $1000's to upgrade for usb-c when there is magsafe, it's 2023 charging cables be gone.
You know you can stop using your phone while it charges lol
The amount of people who still don't utilize MagSafe is mind boggling to me. It's the single best addition they've ever made to the iPhone, IMO.

The feigned excitement over USB-C has less to do with the port itself, & more because it gives people something to cite as justification. Especially now that Apple has admitted to throttling the transfer speeds, the only real improvement the port would bring has gone out of the window.

Had the phones been USB-C to begin with, & Apple was just now introducing the lightning port instead, people would be citing that as their reason to upgrade as well.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Because there were conflicting articles and reports on better camera sensor / camera improvements at the time of preorder. This is not some rocket science to understand. Is it?
Conflicting articles & reports that weren't made clear during the keynote? Or the official spec sheet on Apple's website? Interesting. I'll tell you what certainly isn't rocket science...doing proper research before making a purchase.

Reactions: 3Rock

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Conflicting articles & reports that weren't made clear during the keynote? Or the official spec sheet on Apple's website? Interesting. I'll tell you what certainly isn't rocket science...doing proper research before making a purchase.
Typical of a madly in love fanboy.

I can always cancel, but if I fail to preorder, I will have to wait for next 1-3 months. That's why I preordered. That is some rocket science. Is it not?

And as the reviews have confirmed no change in Wide and Ultra Wide Cameras, I am now inclined to cancel. Will take final call on 21st.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Typical of a madly in love fanboy.

I can always cancel, but if I fail to preorder, I will have to wait for next 1-3 months. That's why I preordered. That is some rocket science. Is it not?

And as the reviews have confirmed no change in Wide and Ultra Wide Cameras, I am now inclined to cancel. Will take final call on 21st.
The fact that you keep using the term "rocket science" is so deliciously ironic.

That is information that was readily available before pre-orders went live. No need to get upset. You made a mistake.

Reactions: 3Rock and dotatoc

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I was reading that the A17 Pro chip is about at par with the M1 chip in the MBA from Late 2020.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.