Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
The fact that you keep using the term "rocket science" is so deliciously ironic.

That is information that was readily available before pre-orders went live. No need to get upset. You made a mistake.
Enjoy the rocket science flavor.

Apple loves to fool fanboys with their marketing gimmicks, and those who ignore the facts and fall for it, do it out of compulsion.

The fact is that Apple indeed withheld better available camera sensors for next year and saved some dough.

They are rightly sure about whatever they bake even with old and stale ingredients will sell. No reason to worry for Apple, till people are ready to fall for cheap marketing tricks.

Last edited:

markp-a

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Is it weird that the 14 pro and 14 pm have disappeared from apples site?

Or does that happen every year?

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2020
After saw some reviews it’s more and more obvious that there are just very small differences between 14 and 15.
If you don’t care about usb-c and slightly lesser weight there are not much arguments for an IP15 especially if 14 is much cheaper.
For me USB-C matters so I don’t care.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Is it weird that the 14 pro and 14 pm have disappeared from apples site?

Or does that happen every year?
Pretty much every year this happens. They'll keep around one or two models for budget oriented shopping. They sold the AW3 up until last year I think.

Reactions: markp-a

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Great post and a perfect analogy using TVs. It’s actually a good thing we are at this point, IMO. I remember a decade ago upgrading my phone every 6 months because the performance increase we extremely noticeable.
Agree. For 5-6 years, there were pretty major upgrades just about every year. 2G > 3G. 3G > 4G. Small screens with poor resolution and giant bezels to much better screens. Terrible camera to quite usable cameras, etc.

I upgraded every year in the early years for these reasons. Now, I typically upgrade every other year only because it typically doesn't cost me much to do so and my battery life is usually pretty bad by that point. But do I ever really notice any improvements for the way I use my phone? Not really.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Even with 15% off here today via gift cards and 10% tax I can get back, still not sure it's worth swapping my 6 month old as new 14 pro for a 15 pro/max, would be $4-500AUD out of pocket.

Chicagogirlie

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Note the timestamp on my post, smart one. This conversation happened many days before the reviews dropped.

And, much of the new evidence points toward these phones performing worse than the old ones. So yeah.
It was on YT then actually, just not as prevalent as it is now and the Pro Max do have larger capacity batteries than the 14 PM. No need to get keyed up…I posted about it as well before I was away from the net. Happy shopping! :)

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
It was on YT then actually, just not as prevalent as it is now and the Pro Max do have larger capacity batteries than the 14 PM. No need to get keyed up…I posted about it as well before I was away from the net. Happy shopping! :)
No one was able to posts actual tests of the phones before 6am pacific today. There was something called a “press embargo,” just like there… always is. Every year.

I wasn’t talking about the gross energy capacity of the battery, which is ever so slightly higher than the old phones. What’s important is the achievable runtime using that energy as compared to last year.

I know it’s… difficult… to understand, but different combinations of hardware components use energy at different rates.

The components in the new phones use the increased energy capacity of their batteries faster than the old ones did while doing the same tasks; they are less efficient.

The decrease in efficiency appears to outweigh the increase in capacity, based on tests that have only been able to be published as of today. This means users will get fewer hours of use out of their phones before they go dead, despite the slightly increased rating in gross energy capacity.

Chicagogirlie

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
No one was able to posts actual tests of the phones before 6am pacific today. There was something called a “press embargo,” just like there… always is. Every year.

I wasn’t talking about the gross energy capacity of the battery, which is ever so slightly higher than the old phones. What’s important is the achievable runtime using that energy as compared to last year.

I know it’s… difficult… to understand, but different combinations of hardware components use energy at different rates.

The components in the new phones use the increased energy capacity of their batteries faster than the old ones did while doing the same tasks; they are less efficient.

The decrease in efficiency appears to outweigh the increase in capacity, based on tests that have only been able to be published as of today. This means users will get fewer hours of use out of their phones before they go dead, despite the slightly increased rating in gross energy capacity.
Gotcha, and not …hard… at all to understand. LMAO

Reactions: NotApplicable

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
The biggest jump was M1 Air. M2 versions run hotter while being ever so slightly more powerful in a single core. I bet the same is happening here - yes new 3nm, but runs hot with all that overclock.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The amount of people who still don't utilize MagSafe is mind boggling to me. It's the single best addition they've ever made to the iPhone, IMO.
I use MagSafe to mount my phone on a holder in my car but not wrecking my battery using a MagSafe charger. I learned a valuable lesson with my old iPhone 12 that wireless charging reduces battery health. Not everybody needs to fast charge an iPhone either, especially if charging overnight is the usage pattern.

It didn’t help that Apple thought charging £59 for a MagSafe charger was appropriate when they launched it in 2020. Most people still seem to plug chargers in still.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
I use MagSafe to mount my phone on a holder in my car but not wrecking my battery using a MagSafe charger. I learned a valuable lesson with my old iPhone 12 that wireless charging reduces battery health. Not everybody needs to fast charge an iPhone either, especially if charging overnight is the usage pattern.

It didn’t help that Apple thought charging £59 for a MagSafe charger was appropriate when they launched it in 2020. Most people still seem to plug chargers in still.
I charged my 14 Pro Max wirelessly every single night for 11 months & it's still showing 100% battery health. So I would say there are probably other factors which contributed to your battery drop.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
I think that's more based on usage and cycles. I also have a launch day 14PM that I charge almost exclusively on magsafe except for wired carplay for less than an hour a day. I'm at 89% health right now.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I charged my 14 Pro Max wirelessly every single night for 11 months & it's still showing 100% battery health. So I would say there are probably other factors which contributed to your battery drop.

My wife had the same issue and so did people I know. It can’t be good for the battery when the back of the phone is warm from charging. I’m happy to plug in. My 13PM is a year old now and still at 99%, my 12 was at 89% after a year of wireless charging.

I don’t live in a hot climate and use my phone daily like anybody else. Never used it for games either.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
My wife had the same issue and so did people I know. It can’t be good for the battery when the back of the phone is warm from charging. I’m happy to plug in. My 13PM is a year old now and still at 99%, my 12 was at 89% after a year of wireless charging.

I don’t live in a hot climate and use my phone daily like anybody else. Never used it for games either.
I'm not denying what you're saying. Maybe it just depends on the model, since it's an older device. It could be something they've improved on with current models. But my 14 has ONLY been charged wirelessly since release & it hasn't affected it at all. Nothing wrong with plugging in, I just find wireless more convenient.

Overall, I just think that there has to be at least a few factors which contribute to it, on a widescale level, but I can't say that conclusively. I'd be curious to see if anyone with a later model phone has had issues.

Chicagogirlie

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I'm not denying what you're saying. Maybe it just depends on the model, since it's an older device. It could be something they've improved on with current models. But my 14 has ONLY been charged wirelessly since release & it hasn't affected it at all. Nothing wrong with plugging in, I just find wireless more convenient.

Overall, I just think that there has to be at least a few factors which contribute to it, on a widescale level, but I can't say that conclusively. I'd be curious to see if anyone with a later model phone has had issues.

IMG_3946.png

I followed what Zollotech YouTuber said to keep optimized battery charging off and clean energy charging off. The past 3 years with prior phones, 13 PM, 12 PM, Xs Max all had me down to around 88%-94% after 1 year and 2 with the Xs Max. The toggles I’ve mentioned are the only things I’ve changed.

I’ve always charged when I get down to 80% or higher to stay at 100% as I’m a bit OCD about staying topped off and have chargers EVERYWHERE around where I’m at through a day. I have a 14 PM 256gb and I’m still at 100% after a year. I charge 80% of time wirelessly and plug in the rest. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Chicagogirlie

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Well, so far we are seeing the 15 Pro Max ahead of the Pros of the past and the 15 Plus as the winner in this contest anyways…

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
View attachment 2273886

I followed what Zollotech YouTuber said to keep optimized battery charging off and clean energy charging off. The past 3 years with prior phones, 13 PM, 12 PM, Xs Max all had me down to around 88%-94% after 1 year and 2 with the Xs Max. The toggles I’ve mentioned are the only things I’ve changed.

I’ve always charged when I get down to 80% or higher to stay at 100% as I’m a bit OCD about staying topped off and have chargers EVERYWHERE around where I’m at through a day. I have a 14 PM 256gb and I’m still at 100% after a year. I charge 80% of time wirelessly and plug in the rest. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I'm at 100% (actually 104%) too on my 14 Pro, but have the optimized and clean energy on. So not sure leaving optimized battery off a good idea (its helped my MBP for sure, if I'm near the charger then its plugged in), and definitely don't run/need the battery down to low levels. I'm just not glued to my phone as much as some.

Last edited:

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I'm at 100% (actually 104%) too on my 14 Pro, but have the optimized and clean energy on. So not sure leaving optimized battery off a good idea (its helped my MBP for sure, if I'm near the charger then its plugged in), and definitely don't run/need the battery down to low levels. I'm just not glued to my phone as much as some.
At the same time, with optimized charging my macbooks show less health % over time - turning it off seems to recalibrate battery again. Once it was 91% and after a while went to 97%. So i am hesitant to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.