Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2kPro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
Hello everyone!
Received my new 15 PM on the 22nd. Been happy with it ever since. Does everyone experience speaker crackling issue on high volume? The speaker crackling issue happens when 1) On high volume watching video or listening to music 2) On regular phone calls (high volume on speaker) . However, even on high volume, crackling doesn't happen all the time. I'd say, on regular phone calls with speaker on, crackling noise happen more often, and the crackling noise only happen on the top earpiece speaker.
Is it a defect? Should i get it replaced? Other than this, the phone is great.

Thank you!

Reactions: Vikraam

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
A speaker is a physical object that vibrates. The only thing that might be fixed software side is lowering the maximum volume a bit.

Also…..who uses their speaker at MAX volume? I swear people are going deaf, lmao

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
A speaker is a physical object that vibrates. The only thing that might be fixed software side is lowering the maximum volume a bit.

Audio output is not just the speaker. Crackling output affected Intel Coffee Lake based MacBook Pros and was fixed after software updates. It also affected some Coffee Lake based Windows laptops. Interference between components can occur, so can bugs in playing back certain codecs.

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
So I bought an iPhone 15PM last week and have been testing it for some days now. I just tried to play music and the earpiece rattles a lot above a certain level. The best scenario I can reproduce it is by playing the first seconds of the music "Sunroof" on Spotify or Apple Music. I am super annoyed by this rattling sound, so I've done some research and I’ve found a lot of people with the same problem, they’ve had their phones replaced and it still happens on the replacement unit. I also tried at a store and I can definitely tell all of them have the same problem (15 pro and regular 15s). Can it be fixed through software? Does anyone also have the same speaker problem? Will Apple acknowledge this issue like they did with overheating? Seems unacceptable for such an expensive device.

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Are you still experiencing this issue? Have you replaced the device? I am facing the same issue and I am pretty concerned they might not fix it... not much public people (like YouTubers or even MacRumors) is taking about it.

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
The odds are much higher of it being a hardware issue than software. Software would be if it randomly happens at most volumes. Hardware is if it happens all the time at high volumes. Take it back if for repair or exchange if so

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
The odds are much higher of it being a hardware issue than software. Software would be if it randomly happens at most volumes. Hardware is if it happens all the time at high volumes. Take it back if for repair or exchange if so
It seems to happen on different sounds, but not all the time for me. It seems that some frequencies are affected and others are not. The ones affected rattle on any volume, being much more noticeable, of course, on higher volumes. This is why I think it can possibly be tuned through software. But not quite sure.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The music I listen too or movies I've watched haven't had any speaker rattle at normal volume level. I haven't listened to "Sunroof" so I can't say whether that causes the distortion you're describing. I don't listen to music or other content at max volume because phone speakers suck compared to a HomePod, Bluetooth speaker, headphones, ect..

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikraam

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
It seems to happen on different sounds, but not all the time for me. It seems that some frequencies are affected and others are not. The ones affected rattle on any volume, being much more noticeable, of course, on higher volumes. This is why I think it can possibly be tuned through software. But not quite sure.
Hi, I'm having the exact same issue, it does happen in certain frequencies, noticeable at higher volume sounds. I have encountered some websites indicating the problem is still happening with ios 17.1 update. I'm also not sure if replacement will solve the problem as there are also some people experiencing the issue with new one and even some users of Iphone 15 Pro.

I think we should send a detailed email to Apple about the issue. And consulting to the local Apple store will make it more clear.

So Daniel, let's get in touch with Apple today and share the outcome here when they return to us! Let's see what they can offer.

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Can you try on your device? Make it %100 and listen to different sounds especially with high pitch.

Also can you try that when you turn on the speaker?

Somebody on the internet shared this:
It is the exact representation.
This is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. I hope they can fix it through software or at least acknowledge it publicly and replace the defective devices, if it is hardware related.

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
This is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. I hope they can fix it through software or at least acknowledge it publicly and replace the defective devices, if it is hardware related.
Meanwhile there are the front camera issues that everybody seems to be having:

Here there are some people addressing the problem and a well-written article about it. This is happening on front camera but there are also rumours that automatic exposures are bad when using 24,35 mm lens.

Can you try that on your device and let me know if you have something similar?

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Hi, I'm having the exact same issue, it does happen in certain frequencies, noticeable at higher volume sounds. I have encountered some websites indicating the problem is still happening with ios 17.1 update. I'm also not sure if replacement will solve the problem as there are also some people experiencing the issue with new one and even some users of Iphone 15 Pro.

I think we should send a detailed email to Apple about the issue. And consulting to the local Apple store will make it more clear.

So Daniel, let's get in touch with Apple today and share the outcome here when they return to us! Let's see what they can offer.
I contacted Apple Support and they didn't help me at all. They said they had never heard about this issue and ran diagnostics on my device to conclude there were no defective parts at all. They then scheduled an Advanced Support call for me but the employee told me they can't do much about it here in my country, since I have the US model. Is there any way I can contact Apple that they would treat me more seriously? Maybe send an email or something? It is so disappointing for such an expensive device...

Attachments

• 1699208652971.png
    1699208652971.png
    603.2 KB · Views: 118

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I don’t think the speaker should crack at all. The speaker on my iPhone 13 is crystal clear… you need to figure out if it’s a software or hardware issue.

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
I don’t think the speaker should crack at all. The speaker on my iPhone 13 is crystal clear… you need to figure out if it’s a software or hardware issue.

What is the easiest way to find out whether it is a hardware related issue?

Any suggestions?

I have read on reddit that 15 pro series has more sound volume capacity than the oldest series. Might this be the reason for the crack?

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Meanwhile there are the front camera issues that everybody seems to be having:

Here there are some people addressing the problem and a well-written article about it. This is happening on front camera but there are also rumours that automatic exposures are bad when using 24,35 mm lens.

Can you try that on your device and let me know if you have something similar?
Cameras are fine here, I don't have this issue. However, this is something easily addressable through software. The speaker issue is what concerns me the most.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
What is the easiest way to find out whether it is a hardware related issue?

Any suggestions?

I have read on reddit that 15 pro series has more sound volume capacity than the oldest series. Might this be the reason for the crack?
Water damage or just a blown speaker could cause your issue. You need to speak to other people with the same phone and compare or visit your local Apple Store and speak to a Genius.

If anything with bass consistently crackles, I would say it’s hardware rather than software. There was an issue with the iPhone 8 however it was fixed via software. You’ll just need to go down to the process of elimination to figure out if it’s a hardware issue or not.

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
I've been to the Apple Store and all devices they had there were crackling on some frequencies. There is no chance it's been water damaged or blown, since my device is brand new and I take good care of it. However, it's great to know they have already fixed speaker issues through software before. I hope they do it with the iPhone 15 lineup too, since it's such a pain for me to have to go through the replacement process here where I live.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Can you try on your device? Make it %100 and listen to different sounds especially with high pitch.

Also can you try that when you turn on the speaker?

Somebody on the internet shared this:
It is the exact representation.

Uh, no way I am going to crank my volume up to 100%. I would never need a volume like that and I do not wish to blow the speaker which there is a possibility that you have done.

Reactions: Jutah

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
I am pretty much sure that an iPhone speaker shouldn't blow up within less than a month of usage... and if that's the case, it will eventually happen to everyone that has these new iPhones, since nobody here has been doing something abnormal to their phones. So I don't think that's the case at all.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
Hello everyone!
Received my new 15 PM on the 22nd. Been happy with it ever since. Does everyone experience speaker crackling issue on high volume? The speaker crackling issue happens when 1) On high volume watching video or listening to music 2) On regular phone calls (high volume on speaker) . However, even on high volume, crackling doesn't happen all the time. I'd say, on regular phone calls with speaker on, crackling noise happen more often, and the crackling noise only happen on the top earpiece speaker.
Is it a defect? Should i get it replaced? Other than this, the phone is great.

Thank you!
Return it and get the replacement you deserve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.