Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ritz_zipz

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Hello everyone!
Received my new 15 PM on the 22nd. Been happy with it ever since. Does everyone experience speaker crackling issue on high volume? The speaker crackling issue happens when 1) On high volume watching video or listening to music 2) On regular phone calls (high volume on speaker) . However, even on high volume, crackling doesn't happen all the time. I'd say, on regular phone calls with speaker on, crackling noise happen more often, and the crackling noise only happen on the top earpiece speaker.
Is it a defect? Should i get it replaced? Other than this, the phone is great.

Thank you!
Anyone ever get this resolved that video is exactly what I’m hearing on mine and for a while I thought it was just me so I blew it off?

Ritz_zipz

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Thought it was just me but I can hear it, it’s like a rattling/buzzing type of sound like an old radio.

Reactions: Vikraam

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Anyone ever get this resolved that video is exactly what I’m hearing on mine and for a while I thought it was just me so I blew it off?
There are many reports on the internet. Some users don't even recognize it as they don't use their phones on high volumes.

Reactions: Ritz_zipz

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I searched up that song “sunroof” on Apple Music and played it on max volume and it didn’t break up that bad like in the video you shared.

But it definitely doesn’t sound as clean as if I would play this song on proper speakers.

In the end of the day, it is tiny phone speaker that causes vibration through the entire chassis, so I would just live with it.

Just get a pair of headphones instead because it will never sound as clean as proper speakers.

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
I searched up that song “sunroof” on Apple Music and played it on max volume and it didn’t break up that bad like in the video you shared.

But it definitely doesn’t sound as clean as if I would play this song on proper speakers.

In the end of the day, it is tiny phone speaker that causes vibration through the entire chassis, so I would just live with it.

Just get a pair of headphones instead because it will never sound as clean as proper speakers.
Do you think that it can be solved with a software update?

I got an resevation from a local Apple Service for today to explain the case.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Do you think that it can be solved with a software update?

I got an resevation from a local Apple Service for today to explain the case.

In theory yes, by cutting some frequencies that causes resonance and / or lower the volume.

But I highly doubt Apple will do this and leave it as it is and consider it as a "feature" of tiny smartphone speakers. I believe the speaker in the dynamic island is also smaller than the speaker of the Notch iPhone's.

I personally wouldn't worry about this and just use headphone as you will never get a good sound of that small speaker in the dynamic island.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I played the song Sunroof on my iPhone 13 at max volume and there was no rattling and the sound quality was crystal clear.

I played it on my iPhone 8 and the bass sounded horrible and there was considerable rattling.

The best song to use to test your iPhone speakers is Machine Gun Kelly - At My Best.

My 8 plays that song worse than any other song however it is crystal clear on my 13. It’s probably a much better test than Sunroof.

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Please let us know what they tell you at the Apple Store.
They said that I was the only one to come up with this problem since the release date. However, they acknowledged the problem. Highly probably, I'll get a replacement but I'm not sure if the new device will have the same issue.

I tested another device in the store and it didn't have that cracking sound as much as my phone. This is so weird.

Vikraam

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2023
They said that I was the only one to come up with this problem since the release date. However, they acknowledged the problem. Highly probably, I'll get a replacement but I'm not sure if the new device will have the same issue.

I tested another device in the store and it didn't have that cracking sound as much as my phone. This is so weird.
My 15 plus does this and i want a solution from apple. Could u please confirm that all the other 15s at the store sounded good? As it can be from the new stock? Im curios to know that. Please confirm it and ill be confident that its an hardware issue and it could be replaced

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023

Well, I went to the store here and all of them rattle the same way as my phone does. I hope Apple address this issue in someway, but the likelihood is just smaller, since some devices are just not experiencing it as you've seen. I hope it gets fixed on your replacement device. Please update us once you receive it!

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Well, I went to the store here and all of them rattle the same way as my phone does. I hope Apple address this issue in someway, but the likelihood is just smaller, since some devices are just not experiencing it as you've seen. I hope it gets fixed on your replacement device. Please update us once you receive it!
I'll update when I receive.

There's stock problem in ip15 series in Turkey so I have to wait..

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have tried blasting the OP’s example track on my iPhone 15 (non-Pro) and, while at the beginning of the track it sounds cranky indeed, once the guy starts loud singing it sounded quite alright to my ears. This track might not be the best iPhone speakers’ testing too, as there is too much loud treble in it. Perhaps worth trying some other tracks too to hear how they sound?

Generally, apart from playing music, I find iPhone 15 speakers to be the loudest of all my previous iPhones (iPhone 11 and 12 mini are the latest two). So no complaints here.

I also agree with the previous poster, saying that iPhone’s speakers cannot animate a house party, as they are tiny, after all.

Last edited:

ozankaya

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
I have tried blasting the OP’s example track on my iPhone 15 (non-Pro) and, while at the beginning of the track it sounds cranky indeed, once the guy starts loud singing it sounded quite alright to my ears. This track might not be the best iPhone speakers’ testing too, as there is too much loud treble in it. Perhaps worth trying some other tracks too to hear how they sound?

Generally, apart from playing music, I find iPhone 15 speakers to be the loudest of all my previous iPhones (iPhone 11 and 12 mini are the latest two). So no complaints here.

I also agree with the previous poster, saying that iPhone’s speakers cannot animate a house party, as they are tiny, after all.
My friend had the same response as you with his 15 pro max.

daniel_andradec

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023

Yeah, after the guy starts singing it's alright. But this song is only a test. What bothers me the most is when I am watching videos online and it starts rattling. It happens specially on male voices, and some other frequencies. This shouldn't happen at all. Indeed, the speakers are louder than those on my old iPhone, but the quality sucks. Such a disappointment for a device that has costed me 1.3k dollars.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Yeah, after the guy starts singing it's alright. But this song is only a test. What bothers me the most is when I am watching videos online and it starts rattling. It happens specially on male voices, and some other frequencies. This shouldn't happen at all. Indeed, the speakers are louder than those on my old iPhone, but the quality sucks. Such a disappointment for a device that has costed me 1.3k dollars.

Does it make this "rattling" noise at lower volume levels?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.