Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
If most other people (or even a healthy minority of people) found the Mini phones to be enjoyable, then Apple would not have discontinued the line due to poor sales. Small phones are cute (I had a 12 Mini) but cuteness doesn't last very long. What matters is whether phones are useful: can you see more info on the screen? does the battery last more than 1 day? do they run cool? When you think about actual usability, you eventually conclude that a larger phone is simply more convenient.
This is not to do with the mini.... just a smaller screen size. The point went way over your head.

psalex

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
United States
too bad we are going again big and bigger in physical dimensions...
I totally agree, i would rather have a little less performance and something of a better design. This is why the other phone makers are seeing more sales ... Apple needs to wake up and gives us more options. For instance, my wife loves her iphone mini discontinued two years ago. She doesn't want a brick in her purse. oh well.

psalex

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
United States
And that ladies and gentlemen is why many people love their foldables! Small footprint in the pocket, but when you need to go big, just unfold it and voila!
Totally agree. I'm so not inspired to get a newer iphone ... my 14 is great and i don't need bigger higher resolution photos that what i'm already getting.

psalex

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
United States
the days of "exciting" updates year over year are over, people don't upgrade every year anymore, but for plenty people on older iPhones the new ones will be exciting ...
I would upgrade every year if the design become interesting. I'd love to try a foldable, another version of a mini,.... what else? Apple designers have become lazy. Steve would have shaken that laziness out of them!

psalex

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
United States

After over a year of rumors, there are now 30 changes and improvements expected to be offered by the iPhone 16 Pro models later this year.

All of the changes the iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature compared to their direct forerunners are listed below, using information from reliable sources that we have previously covered. We will update this article as more rumors emerge in the coming months.

Displays

Both iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature larger displays than their predecessors, pushing the iPhone 16 Pro Max to be the biggest iPhone ever offered. There are also reportedly improvements to the underlying OLED technology in store.

iPhone 15 ProiPhone 16 Pro
6.1- or 6.7-inch display6.3- or 6.9-inch display
Thinner borders around the display
More efficient OLED display with brighter micro-lens technology

Chip, Thermals, and Connectivity

Under the hood, the iPhone 16 Pro models are rumored to bring notable improvements in processing power, thermal management, and connectivity. From a more powerful "A18 Pro" chip to advanced thermal designs and enhanced connectivity options including the latest Wi-Fi standards, these changes promise to further update the iPhone's basic specifications.

A17 Pro chip (TSMC's "N3B" 3nm process)A18 Pro chip (TSMC's "N3E" enhanced 3nm process)
16-core Neural EngineEnhanced neural Engine with "significantly" more cores to support new AI features
Thermal design with copper heatsink and black foil battery casingNew thermal design with graphene heatsink and metal battery casing
Snapdragon X70 5G modemSnapdragon X75 5G modem
Wi-Fi 6E connectivityWi-Fi 7 connectivity

Cameras

The iPhone 16 Pro models are slated to receive a range of substantial camera enhancements, such as a larger main camera sensor, a 48-megapixel sensor on the ultra wide camera, and a dedicated hardware button for photography and videography on the side of the device.

"Capture Button" to trigger photography and videography features
1/1.28-inch main camera sensoriPhone 16 Pro‌ Max: 1/1.14-inch main camera sensor (12% larger)
Sony IMX-803 main camera sensoriPhone 16 Pro Max: Sony IMX-903 main camera sensor with stacked design for better performance, a 14-bit Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) for high-quality image data conversion, and Digital Gain Control (DCG) for better dynamic range and noise control
7P main camera lens8P main camera lens
iPhone 15 Pro: Telephoto camera with second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization
iPhone 15 Pro Max: Telephoto camera with larger sensor, folded tetraprism design, optical image stabilization, and autofocus 3D sensor-shift module
Telephoto camera with larger sensor, folded tetraprism design, optical image stabilization, and autofocus 3D sensor-shift module
iPhone 15 Pro: 77mm maximum focal length
iPhone 15 Pro Max: 120mm maximum focal length
iPhone 16 Pro: 120mm maximum focal length
iPhone 16 Pro Max: "Super" telephoto camera with focal length above 300mm
iPhone 15 Pro: 0.5x, 1x, 2x, and 3x optical zoom
iPhone 15 Pro Max: 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 3x, and 5x optical zoom (5x on Pro Max only)
0.5x, 1x, 2x, and 5x optical zoom
4P telephoto camera lens5P telephoto camera lens
12-megapixel ultra wide camera48-megapixel ultra wide camera
5P ultra wide camera lens6P ultra wide camera lens

Batteries and Charging

The iPhone 16 Pro models could receive some major improvements in battery technology and charging, sporting bigger, denser batteries and faster charging capabilities.

Single-layer battery technologyStacked battery technology for increased energy density and prolonged lifespan
iPhone 15 Pro: 3,274 mAh battery
iPhone 15 Pro Max: 4,422 mAh battery
iPhone 16 Pro: 3,355 mAh mAh battery (+2.5%)
iPhone 16 Pro Max: 4,676 mAh battery (+5%)
Up to 27W wired chargingUp to 40W wired charging
15W charging via MagSafe20W charging via MagSafe

Other Features and Changes

While many of Apple's devices are rumored to receive a series of new AI-based features via software updates later this year, the iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to take these further with exclusive capabilities and an upgraded microphone.

Support for new AI features in iOS 18Support for new AI features in iOS 18, plus a suite of device-exclusive AI features
MicrophoneUpgraded microphone with improved signal-to-noise ratio and water resistance, designed to support new AI features
Up to 1TB of storageUp to 2TB of storage
Black Titanium, White Titanium, Blue Titanium, and Natural Titanium color optionsBlack Titanium/Space Black, White Titanium, Desert Titanium, Titanium Gray, and potentially Rose Gold color options
Brushed titanium frameGlossy titanium frame
... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro vs. iPhone 16 Pro: 30 Rumored Upgrades Compared
ANOTHER BORING PRODUCT UPDATE!!

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Your original post was
Once you use a larger display, it's hard going back to a smaller one.

No. It’s not hard. I’ve done it from biggest to smallest iPhones. It was easy. Enjoyable actually. If I had gone from max to “normal size”. It also would have been easy. Maybe even easier.

Just because I happened to go to a mini has nothing to do with it.

All I am saying is. Going from a plus/max phone to ANYTHING smaller. Is NOT hard.

Reactions: antonrg

psalex

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2023
United States
Your original post was

No. It’s not hard. I’ve done it from biggest to smallest iPhones. It was easy. Enjoyable actually. If I had gone from max to “normal size”. It also would have been easy. Maybe even easier.

Just because I happened to go to a mini has nothing to do with it.

All I am saying is. Going from a plus/max phone to ANYTHING smaller. Is NOT hard.
I totally agree. We were traveling and I found myself enjoying using my wife's mini. It was easy to carry around and i could read just as much on it.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I can't be the only one that thinks polished metal looks tacky right?
Don’t really care as it will be in a case but it sucks to see it will get heavier again.

I think I’ll pass until the boggo line has 120hz as there’s nothing else interesting about the pro for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.