Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Images comparing purportedly accurate dummy models of the iPhone 16 series have been shared online, providing a closer look at the rumored design of the upcoming devices.

iphone-16-dummies.jpg

The iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max are expected to get larger display sizes this year, according to multiple sources, while the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus will be the same size as the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus.

iphone-16-pro-v-iphone-15-pro.jpeg

The first images show the difference in size between the iPhone 16 Pro and last year's iPhone 15 Pro. The iPhone 16 Pro is said to have a 6.3-inch display, while the iPhone 16 Pro Max will have a 6.9-inch display. In contrast, the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays, respectively.

iphone-16-pro-vs-iphone-15-pro.jpg

Additional images give a better idea of button placement. Apple plans to replace the Mute Switch on the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus with the Action button that was previously exclusive to the iPhone 15 Pro models. However, the images suggest the Action button will be larger than the one found on the current Pro devices.

It's also worth noting the rumored redesigned rear camera bump on the iPhone 16 dummy. The pill-shaped bump houses the separate Wide and Ultrawide lenses on both the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. The microphone sits next to the lenses, while the camera flash is located on the back of the device outside of the bump.

iphone-16-action-button.jpg

In addition, all four iPhone 16 models are expected to feature an entirely new button that will be used for taking photos and videos. The so-called "Capture button" is located on the same side of the iPhone as the Power button, in the space currently occupied by the 5G mmWave antenna in the United States.

iphone-16-capture-button.jpg

In the images, the Capture button appears to be almost flush with the iPhone 16 chassis, but rumors say it will be mechanical rather than capacitive. Either way, The Information says that the button will respond to pressure and touch. Apple believes the new button will be a major selling point for the ‌iPhone 16‌ lineup, and it is being introduced to further push the ‌iPhone‌ as a camera alternative for shooting horizontal video.

Apple is expected to release the iPhone 16 lineup in September. For everything we know about the devices, see our dedicated iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro roundups.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Dummy Models Showcase Design Changes, New Buttons

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It looks like the new iPhones are going to be announced next week instead of the iPads.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Interesting. Not sure where the mmWave antenna is going to go and how will a flush button work with cases? Cases aren’t an issue for me as I don’t use them.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Apple needs to move past the iPhone for it to grow. Smartphone customer upgrade and innovation rate at this point is dying. Hope Vision Pro is it. #AAPL.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
mmWave antenna moving to the the SIM card position?

US models have no physical SIM but have mmWave

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Apple needs to move past the iPhone for it to grow. Smartphone customer upgrade and innovation rate at this point is dying. Hope Vision Pro is it. #AAPL.
Not at $3500 it isn’t. I don’t think it’ll be less than $2000 in any reasonable timeframe but that price has to come down considerably.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
it's wild to me people want bigger heavier phones
It's wild to me that people want to use tiny toy sized phones.

I refuse to use anything below 6.1" and even that feels small to me. I don't know how people can deal with 4.7-5.4" phones. I'm used to 6.7" as I've had iPhone Pro Max for over 3 years.

I'm happy to see the screens get bigger. Hopefully by the time I think of replacing my 15 Pro Max then Apple will have released a 7" + sized phone :) Apple scrapped the Mini for a reason....not many people are interested in such small phones.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
The diversification here makes me extremely uncomfortable. The iPhone Pro Max being 6.9”? Sure, fine, whatever. But a .2” difference between the standard iPhone 16 and the Pro, and then the same difference between the Plus and the Pro Max?

It feels like differentiation for the sake of differentiation, and it needlessly complicates things in a way that makes sense purely from a financial gain and operations perspective.

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
Hardly seems worth the effort. If you’re going to change it, make it a “real” change, not just one you can say the screen is bigger because it’s like 1mm bigger, and so you can sell more cases because the old ones don’t fit for no “real” reason! Sigh..

Lurch92

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
it's wild to me people want bigger heavier phones
As someone with big hands, and big fingertips, I struggle to use a smaller phone. I have a 12Pro Max as my personal phone and a SE3 as my work phone, and I find the SE2 incredibly frustrating to use.

Weight isn't a big issue to me, and I'd trade it for a bigger battery and a bigger screen. Plus with a bigger screen I don't really have a use for an iPad, I can live with a large iPhone and a MBP.

I understand why some people with smaller hands may want a smaller phone, but even my wife is happy using a 12 Pro. I think the small phone buyers are a loud minority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.