Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
iOS 18 will remove the ability to use the lock screen to take a photo simply because “there’s now a button for that”.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
The flash outside the camera bump on the non-Pro is a bit ugly.

It is indeed. As much as I'm not a fan of camera bumps I did understand the thinking of putting everything in a raised glass camera 'module' which then sits nicely into a case which the majority of users will be using.

Putting the flash outside means when using a case you're going to have to leave a gap around the module for the flash. Unless this is going to be a separate hole in the case?

Either way it's a less elegant solution. I'm still sure there's something not right about these rumours.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
The new capture button will be a selling point. Videos are nice to shoot now on the latest iPhone Pros because the recording is stabilized and not shaky and jerky.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
I bet the new button above the volume ones will cause people accidentally change volume. That's cuz the button is the same shape and very close to these.

Reactions: klasma

bobm

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
I understand why some people with smaller hands may want a smaller phone, but even my wife is happy using a 12 Pro. I think the small phone buyers are a loud minority.

I'm in the small phone camp because I just need a phone not an almost iPad. I like a phone that fits in the front jeans pocket and has a screen that I can use with one hand. I see the appeal of the larger phones but for day to day a smaller phone works for me. Sadly I am in the minority which is why my 13 mini needs to last me another year or two. Maybe we'll see a flip from them soon.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
People will consume what they are fed because they don’t have a choice. They must eat or go hungry.
Or.... Looking at it another way... Companies will cook what people request and buy most....they don't have a choice otherwise sales will go down..... People aren't being force fed bigger phones, they want bigger phones... It's evident because the mini barely sold, to the point that Apple had to scrap it.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Or.... Looking at it another way... Companies will cook what people request and buy most....they don't have a choice otherwise sales will go down..... People aren't being force fed bigger phones, they want bigger phones... It's evident because the mini barely sold, to the point that Apple had to scrap it.
Do customers actually want bigger phones, or are they settling for bigger phones because they do everything they need it to, and they’re good-enough at helping productivity that consumers don’t feel the need to buy an iPad or a Mac?

krakenrelease

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
I mean, they're phones. Not a 20 lb dumb bell. It's not like slightly larger or heavier really makes a difference.
It makes a difference. I would read on my 13 Pro Max when I didn't have my kindle. I couldn't wait fast enough for a usb c model, downsized to the 15 pro as the max is just too big for me.

Reactions: Rockhouse

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Not at $3500 it isn’t. I don’t think it’ll be less than $2000 in any reasonable timeframe but that price has to come down considerably.

We are talking the future. Not present. Present is the iPhone. But that's fading quickly. The iPhone is going to have about 15-18 years as being Apple's cash cow, but as an investor, I don't want to see Apple depend on refining the iPhone for much longer.

• Haha

Lurch92

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
I'm in the small phone camp because I just need a phone not an almost iPad. I like a phone that fits in the front jeans pocket and has a screen that I can use with one hand. I see the appeal of the larger phones but for day to day a smaller phone works for me. Sadly I am in the minority which is why my 13 mini needs to last me another year or two. Maybe we'll see a flip from them soon.

You say you want a mini phone as it fits in your pocket, but then hope for a flip phone? I like my 12PM as it fits in my pocket nicely, but I wouldn't buy a thick flip phone for the very same reason. I also think the idea of a folding or a flip iPhone laughable... about the least "Apple" thing to do to an iPhone

jidzaporp

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
Apple's new accessories strategy is to change the iPhone size, buttons and camera position just enough so you have do buy all the cases and accessories again.
I’m pretty sure they don’t care. The cases for the 6,7,8 and SE are interchangeable.
Now, if their cases were proprietary I could join your cynicism, but most are 3rd party.
It is about the money, as always.
Engineers are so challenged with the size restrictions that case design just isn’t important.

I paid $7 for a $45 retail Speck case for my $500 used iphone.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
My 14 Pro Max is great; but after using the 15 Pro Max - I can't believe how much better the 15 Pro Max feels after using your phone for a long time. The weight difference really does add up. I will probably upgrade for the change in chassis and USB C.

jidzaporp

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
As someone with big hands, and big fingertips, I struggle to use a smaller phone. I have a 12Pro Max as my personal phone and a SE3 as my work phone, and I find the SE2 incredibly frustrating to use.

Weight isn't a big issue to me, and I'd trade it for a bigger battery and a bigger screen. Plus with a bigger screen I don't really have a use for an iPad, I can live with a large iPhone and a MBP.

I understand why some people with smaller hands may want a smaller phone, but even my wife is happy using a 12 Pro. I think the small phone buyers are a loud minority.
My buddy was forever seeking a matchbook sized cellphone. But now he has a big Android and he cannot explain himself under interrogation.
I love my 12 Pro, upgraded from an 8. The added size is nothing, but so much nicer to use. Id also rather have a bigger battery and better (not bigger for me) display, weight be damned.
We differ on the iPad, however. My iPad is probably my favorite electronic device.

jidzaporp

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
Given the size creep of the standard models, it appears that Apple would like to thin down to a single size eventually, while keeping a pro model. The difference seems to be less and less between the standard and the pro. There will always be a market for the smaller, cheaper SE models, so I’d expect them to maintain, or even improve the SE indefinitly.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, they're phones. Not a 20 lb dumb bell. It's not like slightly larger or heavier really makes a difference.
The 141 g mini vs. the 113 g OG SE made a big difference for me, more than expected. While it’s “only” 25% more, it makes for a significantly different feel. Even after years being used to the mini now, picking up the SE still feels a lot better.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I used the action button for about a week, just after I learnt I could write a shortcut to fire when it was pressed. Ever since then all that button has done is made me misfire when trying to take screen captures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.