Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
"Apple believes the new button will be a major selling point for the ā€ŒiPhone 16ā€Œ lineup"
They are insanely out of touch.
Get in line for that new button! šŸ˜‚
I mean, I know it's a mature market and changes really are just going to be pretty iterative going forward unless there is a major paradigm shift in the market, but calling a new button "a major selling point" is a big stretch.

Reactions: Smittywerben

patrick001

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Boston
I mean, I know it's a mature market and changes really are just going to be pretty iterative going forward unless there is a major paradigm shift in the market, but calling a new button "a major selling point" is a big stretch.
Itā€™s not a big stretch when a button opens an app that produces material in the era of ubiquitous social media. Your comment is a big reach because you simply donā€™t get it.

• Haha
Reactions: bodonnell202

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Do customers actually want bigger phones, or are they settling for bigger phones because they do everything they need it to, and theyā€™re good-enough at helping productivity that consumers donā€™t feel the need to buy an iPad or a Mac?
Yes. Some customers (many I would guess) actually DO want a bigger phone. I have an iPad (which is a totally different class of device that doesnā€™t overlap with my phone) and I still want a larger iPhone. It is the device I have with me most often. For many it is their only computing device. Having a larger display makes it easier to consume content.

Smittywerben

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2024
Maybe it is for their pro max variant, but their regular 800$ iPhone is nowhere near competition, it doesn't have 120hz refresh rate, LTPO and telephoto camera. things that s24 and op12 have in the same price range.
BUT NO, "capture button" that nobody asked for is more important šŸ¤”

Reactions: DOD250

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Call it wishful thinking or delusion, but I do think we will get a smaller phone from Apple once every 4-5 years, not to break the new market share and get new customers, but to get those holding onto their minis and SEs for dear life because we simply donā€™t find bigger phones to be good. Iā€™m not upgrading to 6.1 and especially 6.3 inch phones anytime soon. I skipped everything from 8 to 13 mini and Iā€™m not planning to jump ship anytime soon. The 6.1 phones are simply uncomfortable to use. I have one in my household and I absolute hate it. They are too big for sports, too big for one-handed use, too cumbersome when you have your hands full with groceries/baggage or whatever else. Indeed, many have stopped commuting for work since 2020 and had their time to get used to a bigger phone while working from home, but itā€™s not everyone. I donā€™t think we have seen proper figures of mini vs max (not the pro line) and I suspect they sold equal amounts as i see them in the wild (in France) in equal amounts, if not more of mini actually. Probably the price of a max is a factor too. In any case, time will tell, but for now, at least for me, I used to upgrade every year until they started bringing out big phones. Thatā€™s when my yearly upgrades stopped. Not everyone wants a large phone.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Waiting to hear more about the capture buttons and the colours for the non Pro models.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
As a disabled person who has issues holding big phones this is the last thing many of us need, bigger phones cause more chances of it being dropped and in my case means it hurts like hell to hold it. I shall cling onto my iPhone 14 Pro 6.1" and then if I cannot get an Apple phone I can hold properly I will have to sadly look elsewhere, seems like Apple have become a bit ableist in their designs now ignoring a large community of people that have issues holding large phones because we have a disability that causes that issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.