Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiguy45

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
An obvious double down on Apple’s belief people want bigger screens. This would make the higher margin pro devices have bigger screens than their lower margin standard counterparts driving people to the pro devices. A clear indication that we will never get a reasonably sized iPhone ever again. Please bring back the mini.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
An obvious double down on Apple’s belief people want bigger screens. This would make the higher margin pro devices have bigger screens than their lower margin standard counterparts driving people to the pro devices. A clear indication that we will never get a reasonably sized iPhone ever again. Please bring back the mini.

I think this is true but there’s still a lot people out there that don’t want to spend £1300+ for an iPhone and will happily forfeit features to get the cost down. At this point even the standard iPhones offer all the essential features needed in a modern smartphone.

Reactions: Powerbooky

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
and hopefully by iPhone 18 the market share has declined so much, they will drop this Non-Pro nonsense and go back to just selling two screen sizes at an in-between price point. Let’s be honest, the non Pro iPhones only exist for upselling purposes and because it would be ridiculous to have the first model start at 1k+
There are more non-Pro phones out on the streets than Pros, at least in France. Pro is too expensive for majority, not only to those who cannot afford it, but also those who consider it to be an overkill and not worth the price. I’ve never owned a Pro and I can afford it, I just don’t need it or see how it could improve my life in any way. And majority of people that you see on the streets here don‘t use a Pro.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
There are more non-Pro phones out on the streets than Pros, at least in France. Pro is too expensive for majority, not only to those who cannot afford it, but also those who consider it to be an overkill and not worth the price. I’ve never owned a Pro and I can afford it, I just don’t need it or see how it could improve my life in any way. And majority of people that you see on the streets here don‘t use a Pro.

That's the thing though. We should not have to choose and simply have two at a semi-ok price point just like back in the day. The iPhone 6 used to be just that, the latest greatest iPhone (at that time) and did not have to cost 1k+

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
That's the thing though. We should not have to choose and simply have two at a semi-ok price point just like back in the day. The iPhone 6 used to be just that, the latest greatest iPhone (at that time) and did not have to cost 1k+
The issue is Apple has seen they could diversify the line and make more cash as there will always be people who need more or less than others. Apple is a business in the end of the day, and they will continue having multiple lines of iPhones as long as people keep on buying them. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply. I personally think the days of simple offerings from Apple are gone.

skiguy45

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
I think this is true but there’s still a lot people out there that don’t want to spend £1300+ for an iPhone and will happily forfeit features to get the cost down. At this point even the standard iPhones offer all the essential features needed in a modern smartphone.
Absolutely. Differentiating the screen sizes between the standard and pro models just makes it clear that Apple considers the larger screen on the pro an "upgrade" and think it's a feature that would push people to the pro devices.

skiguy45

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
That's surprising and honestly not a bad idea. The phones are a bit too big
I guess what I'm saying is if Apple believe people prefer larger screens it makes perfect sense to put a larger screen on the higher margin device.

I would pay more for a sub 6 inch screen. Frankly I don't want anything larger than about 5.5 inches. Maybe I'd begrudgingly accept up to 5.75, but any bigger isn't for me.

Reactions: antonrg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.