Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I remember a time when there was only one, ONE!, iPhone model. I miss the good ol’ days.
My controversial opinion is Apple should get rid of every iPhone they sell, drop “Pro” iPhone branding on the premium line, drop all numbering, and offer three sizes of iPhone SE single-rear-camera fullscreen iPhone with Face ID: iPhone SE (5.6”), iPhone SE Plus (6.2”), iPhone SE Max (6.7”).

The tri-rear-camera premium iPhone also in three sizes, two generations newer chip, 120 Hz display, up-to 2 TB of storage, titanium: iPhone (5.6”), iPhone Plus (6.2”), iPhone Max (6.7”).

Make bezel on SE model same size as premium model, along with same front pill camera, allowing the single rear camera to be the only obvious distinguishing external feature.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Lose the giant slot or I've already bought my last iPhone regardless of size. Every time I see that abomination I dry retch. A true crime against industrial design. It makes the notch look beautiful.

• Haha
Reactions: Bigg Macc

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
I am by no means an expert in the actual challenges of doing this, so the likelihood of this is probably quite low, but man it does feel like a competitor taking OS privacy and security seriously could begin to challenge the hold Apple has on that corner of the market with slightly less premium hardware.

While a OS is a different product obviously, many apps have integrated a lot of encryption / security as default now, somewhat in response to Google and Meta’s anti-privacy stances. I am using Signal and Telegram just as much as if not more than iMessage. Have never used iCloud email. Hell, Zoom now offers a supposedly E2E encrypted email service.

In terms of camera hardware and software handling, Apple isn’t doing anything particularly unique, either, when I handle friends’ Samsung and Pixel phones.

I’m probably missing something at the tech edges but as a very average and unsophisticated smartphone user I’m mostly just stuck here in the ecosystem out of inertia, not because I think something particularly useful is happening - again, beyond OS level privacy.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula and OJK

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Apple could easily simplify their iPhone lineup by offering last years’ Pro models as this years regular ones with an annual price reduction.

They could then rebrand the smaller Pro to ‘iPhone’ and then the larger one to ‘iPhone Pro’

They’d then only have to bring out 2 models per year and we wouldn’t have any more ‘iPhone Pro Max Ultra EX Plus Alpha’ suffix nonsense.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have not read every post but they could be doing an iPhone XR to the iPhone XS/XS Max or iPhone 11 to the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max although since iPhone 12 series, the bezels are the same thickness across all models...

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
I am by no means an expert in the actual challenges of doing this, so the likelihood of this is probably quite low, but man it does feel like a competitor taking OS privacy and security seriously could begin to challenge the hold Apple has on that corner of the market with slightly less premium hardware.

While a OS is a different product obviously, many apps have integrated a lot of encryption / security as default now, somewhat in response to Google and Meta’s anti-privacy stances. I am using Signal and Telegram just as much as if not more than iMessage. Have never used iCloud email. Hell, Zoom now offers a supposedly E2E encrypted email service.

In terms of camera hardware and software handling, Apple isn’t doing anything particularly unique, either, when I handle friends’ Samsung and Pixel phones.

I’m probably missing something at the tech edges but as a very average and unsophisticated smartphone user I’m mostly just stuck here in the ecosystem out of inertia, not because I think something particularly useful is happening - again, beyond OS level privacy.
Did you turn on encryption for telegram? If not, it’s actually less secure/private than Whatsapp.

Reactions: okieoutwest

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Apple could easily simplify their iPhone lineup by offering last years’ Pro models as this years regular ones with an annual price reduction.

They could then rebrand the smaller Pro to ‘iPhone’ and then the larger one to ‘iPhone Pro’

They’d then only have to bring out 2 models per year and we wouldn’t have any more ‘iPhone Pro Max Ultra EX Plus Alpha’ suffix nonsense.
So… then the same phone gets renamed every year? 🤔

Cwoods

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2020
I don’t care how big the max screen is, I just wish it was a little thinner/taller to make it easier for one hand use.

lenger

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
I'm more interested in whether the non-Pro models will finally get ProMotion with the 17.
I was about to comment that I never saw a ProMotion display IRL, and was curious how nice they look.
Then I realized I used my brothers 15 Pro yesterday to read an article (lot of scrolling involved) he wanted to show me.
Apparently I didn't notice any difference.

Reactions: Biro

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Assuming Ross's rumour is true ( and he is rarely wrong with respect to Display Screen information )

If Apple were to keep normal iPhone the same Aspect Ratio as Pro, i.e the new 19.6 : 9 Ratio. ( They are making it slightly longer to compensate for the space used for Dynamic Island ) And the iPhone range will keep the same size difference between Normal and Plus / Pro and Pro Max, which is roughly 19.5 - 20% larger area for the larger model.

Then a iPhone 17 with 5.9" Screen would have a iPhone 17 Plus with 6.46" ( They will call it 6.5" ), which fits nicely between 6.3" in the iPhone Pro and 6.9" of the iPhone Pro Max.

The iPhone 5.9" would satisfy most of the demand for smaller iPhone, while 6.5" would not cannibalise the iPhone Pro Max sales.

This is similar to the MacBook line up, where the Air has 13" and 15" Screen size while Pro has 14" and 16" Screen size.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
I was about to comment that I never saw a ProMotion display IRL, and was curious how nice they look.
Then I realized I used my brothers 15 Pro yesterday to read an article (lot of scrolling involved) he wanted to show me.
Apparently I didn't notice any difference.

It's most noticeable after you've been using it for a while and then switch to a device with 60Hz. The 60Hz device then seems choppy and slow by comparison.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
Does the iPhone 15 Plus still feel like a large phone?
yes, unfortunately. it’s definitely in phablet territory.

i hope this rumor is true and we get something like a ~6.5” plus in the future, i think that would be the perfect size. right now the regular 15 feels a little small and the plus a little big

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
iPhone 17 Plus: A smaller-than-6.7-inch display
How ever will I appreciate Honkai Star Rail's graphics on a smaller than 6.7 inch display? 😭

(besides spending an extra $200 on a 6.9 inch iPhone 17 Pro Max, that is. 💸)

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
Did you turn on encryption for telegram? If not, it’s actually less secure/private than Whatsapp.
Yeah, and i use it for just a few very specific use cases to help prioritize notifications with a handful of people in my life. (This *has* been made easier by the presence of more granular notification settings in iOS that didn't exist when i started using Telegram around its launch in 2013.) It is always amusing when i encounter reminders that this small chat app has blown up into one of the largest platforms on the scene!

Reactions: OJK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.