Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lamborrari

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
IMG_4365.jpeg
I trust this rumor (translated from Chinese).

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
and hopefully by iPhone 18 the market share has declined so much, they will drop this Non-Pro nonsense and go back to just selling two screen sizes at an in-between price point. Let’s be honest, the non Pro iPhones only exist for upselling purposes and because it would be ridiculous to have the first model start at 1k+
Yup. Introducing an only slightly lower-priced product for the primary purpose of upselling is something that a soulless MBA degree holder (like Tim Cook) would do.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Makes no sense. Then again this is Apple so probably true. If the Max Pro 17 will be 6.9 why not leave it at 6.7? That is enough of a difference. Seems like a step backwards. All the research a while back was that people wanted bigger screens even those on a budget. That's why the "Plus" models happened.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
We've been in 1996 Apple territory ever since Tim Cook became CEO and has increased the size of Apple's product line to too many SKUs.
I hate to be the one to say it, but Steve would never have allowed this. No, I didn’t know the man, but surely it’s no coincidence that Apple became so fragmented after he passed. Cook did it with Compaq and he’s been doing it with Apple. He got gifted a unicorn and this is the result.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
I want small iPhone. Why can’t they just make two sizes – small and big. Make a price difference of 300$ and that’s it, people will buy what they want. Smaller phones like old SE or 5s were lighter and easier to use in one hand. And now we have all these Pro, Plus, Pro Max and stuff. It must be gone

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Can we please stop using the word phablets? It was stupid 10 years ago it’s even more stupid now
If only we could not just stop using this word but also stop using the devices ppl call by such poor name. But it seems like now we already live in “phabletverse”. And it happened simply because Apple copied Samsung’s large phones craze

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
I prefer smaller phones. I currently have a 14 Pro and find the 6.1 inch screen big enough. I wish the phones were smaller and lighter. Ideally smaller bezels and if necessary even smaller screen size. I found the iPhone X to be good balance of screen size vs portability.

Recently was looking to purchase an iPhone 13 mini as a secondary phone but the prices are still way too high. No one Apple or Android makes smaller phones these days. Unless you get a foldable phone you have to deal with a giant candy bar of a phablet in your pocket. So I took the plunge and bought a Motorola Razr+ and am loving it!! I still prefer my iPhone and wouldn't trade it for the world but the foldable Razr is a fun secondary device. I love that it fits in the palm of my had when closed. I find that 75% of the time I can get tasks done on the secondary display without having to flip the phone open. You really don't need 6 inches plus of screen size to do most tasks. Texting, quick email checks, social media posts, and tons of other apps and functions are perfectly doable on a smaller screen.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Yes, that is what Ross Young has mentioned before. All iPhone 17 models (Pro and non-Pro) will get ProMotion.
That's probably why the 17 plus is getting a smaller screen then.

Dumb. But whatever. I'm done making sense of the boneheaded product decisions Apple's marketing department forces on the rest of the company.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
Well, isn’t there another rumor that all iPhone 16s will have slimmer bezels?

So if the iPhone 17 plus will be smaller and will also have slimmer bezels, that would make it quite a bit smaller than the iPhone 15 plus.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My statement still stands:

The diversification here makes me extremely uncomfortable. The iPhone Pro Max being 6.9”? Sure, fine, whatever. But a .2” difference between the standard iPhone 16 and the Pro, and then the same difference between the Plus and the Pro Max?

It feels like differentiation for the sake of differentiation, and it needlessly complicates things in a way that makes sense purely from a financial gain and operations perspective.

It's purely to hit different price points. Even a $100 difference can make or break a sale. Someone might be willing to spend $800 on a phone, not $900.

I wish Apple kept it simpler. Apply the lessons that Steve Jobs brought to Apple when he slashed a broad array of Mac models. Having a choice between 3 is ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.