Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Really? Because morons that throw money away at used phones is a way for you to justify how good your phone is? Do you not see how crazy some of you sound? It's blissfully ignorant.

I couldn't care less about these morons who pay around $450 for a one-year-old iPhone with some obvious scratches, nor do I consider it as evidence of how good our phones are. I only care about getting enough to pay for my next iPhone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe because Apple guys don't waste their time trolling fAndroid forums? We have better things to do. And no inferiority complex.

Caught me!! My phone is so inferior, that why I defend Android!!

aefc62c8-20c0-66f9.jpg

My inferior 4S.

Is that hard to believe that there are people out there that are open minded enough to own and use both or even Android, iOS and windows? Anyone that hard core bashes any of them needs to take a step back an reevaluate their lives. It's a damn mobile OS, get over it already.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I have owned both platforms. I was hoping to get an iPhone like phone on Verizon before it was released on the network, so I got a Droid X when it came out.

Overall, the phone was not terrible, but I would never own another android device.

The support on the phone broken. The way OS updates have to trickle down to the handsets do not work well. Google must develop the OS and send it to the OEMs. The OEMs customize it to work with their hardware. Then, the OEMs must get the blessing of the carriers and load the bloatware (think consumer Windows PCs) on top of that, and then finally several months later, it makes it to your handset.

There was a version on the HTC Incredible that had a security flaw where if you logged into a Google service through an open WiFi network, your credentials were exposed (it was not SSL encrypted). I am not sure if this ever was fixed as the handset was over a year old and HTC stopped releasing updates for it.

Another thing is that the Market at the time had so much junk in it. Any 12-year old that got a book and there mom and dad got them a phone put stupid stuff on the market, and it really diluted the quality of software. Not to mention the security related to these questionable applications. When Verizon told me I should install security software on the Droid when I bought it, I pretty much knew this was not the phone for me. This is a phone. It has a lot of sensitive information on it and it should be hardened from the factory.

The battery life was not that great. Occasionally I could not hear callers at all. The only way to resolve this would be to reboot the phone.

The last straw on that phone was the fact that I sent a work email and never received a response. I ended up sending about 12 that day. Never got a reply on any of them. Then I looked in my Outbox, and they were all hung. There was no way to send them, and I had to delete all of them, and compose them again from a computer. That made my mind of that this was not a business phone, this was more of a toy - an open handheld computer to tinker with. Google maps' navigation feature was totally off on some routes and unreliable. And that phone I believe is stuck on Android 2.3.

The iPhone on the other hand does not have the customizable stuff (widgets, etc.) that the android does. But it just works. The email is reliable. The OS is reliable. It has nice features like AirPlay, iTunes match, a great camera, and pre-screened apps to prevent the 12 year olds from hijacking your phone or stealing your information.

For a phone, I had much rather have a "closed" system like the iPhone instead of the Android. Not the case at all with computers, but for a phone, yes. If I were to move away from the iPhone, I would either go back to a BlackBerry, or to the Windows Phone.

Would you buy a phone from doubleclick.net? That is essentially what a Google phone is. Google is an ad company that just so happens to do search. I do not trust ad companies.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Maybe because Apple guys don't waste their time trolling fAndroid forums? We have better things to do. And no inferiority complex.

OK so only Android users troll. What does Apple make you sign an agreement that you won't troll when they allow you one of their iphones?

The title of this thread "way better" proves the OP has never used an Android other then in the store.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Are you using the Verizon galaxy nexus or the unlocked GSM version? I am contemplating buying it unlocked through android...just worried that it may be too much money for a little bit dated phone. It will be unlocked tho...

Here. I left it unplugged overnight to show you that it doesn't drain much at all when on idle.
Over 3 hours of screen on time and still have more than 40% left after 14 hours. And no I don't have one of those stupid looking 3400mah battery's that bulges out and makes the phone ugly. With more average usage like 1 hours of screen on a day I could easily go several days at a time on battery. I have an exchange activesync email with push on and my gmail is also synced. This is without Juice defender or any battery usage apps either. The wifi radio is always on as is mobile data. If I installed on of those apps I probably could eek out even more. I can only imagine what a razr maxx on ics could do as far as battery life since its battery is almost twice the size and it uses a similar omap soc 4430 vs 4460 in the nexus. ICS is butter smooth on here as well. No lag, scrolling is 60fps as is pinch to zoom.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
Maybe because Apple guys don't waste their time trolling fAndroid forums? We have better things to do.

Better things to do? Like hanging around Apple forums bitching about Android?;)

The irony is that these flame threads are invariably started by iPhone owners saying how crap they think Android is and yet I rarely see the opposite situation on Android forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The irony is that these flame threads are invariably started by iPhone owners saying how crap they think Android is and yet I rarely see the opposite situation on Android forums.

More accurately, iPhone owners who came from Androids or have contemplating switching over. The rest of us don't care or think about Androids. Really.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
More accurately, iPhone owners who came from Androids or have contemplating switching over. The rest of us don't care or think about Androids. Really.

You know this is a Mac forum. Not everyone here has to use every apple product they make. Also the iPhone owner who started this thread is the one who started the debate. I have used both platforms, I hugely prefer my Galaxy nexus over my ipad 2 and when the nexus tablet comes out I am gonna pick one up. And verses the iphones its even more of a landslide for me.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Everytime I see these threads I just have to laugh, inferior OS? Unresponsive screens? yadda yadda yadda. Their actually very similar, the biggest difference is stock Android allows you tons more customizations to your liking and tweeks even right down to custom icons and themes with various launchers. Otherwise, you want to make a call you click "Phone" on both OSs, browse the internet you click the "browser" in both OSs, go through contacts you click "contacts" on both OSs, want to make folders you make folders on both OSs, want to open those folders you click the "folder" on both OSs....and so on and so on.... wow that is so different and complicated :rolleyes: Basically the iPhone is just like the app drawer in Android, the difference is Android let's you choose what you want on your home screens from the app drawer.

I've said it before that I was not an Android fan, but after getting my GSII I love it. We still have iPhones, I just prefer the GSII for my use. Stock it was just as smooth and fast as iOS5 on the 4S, and better on battery life then both 4Ss we had (only 1 now), and with the custom ICS Rom I'm running now it absolutely kills our 4S in battery life in heavy use and about even with our 4 which was easily way better than the 4S in terms of battery life

I don't necessarily think one is greatly better than the other, it just comes down to what you prefer and I ended up loving how I set this phone up and integrated with everything from business to even my Apple stuff. To call one or the other inferior is nothing more than kool-aid drinking fanboism on either side.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You know this is a Mac forum. Not everyone here has to use every apple product they make.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's interesting that Android users are frequenting this iPhone sub-forum in large numbers.

Also the iPhone owner who started this thread is the one who started the debate.

And this iPhone owner has owned Android(s) in the past, so my point stands that pretty much the only iPhone users who think about Androids are those who came from them or considered them at some point. The rest of us don't care.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's interesting that Android users are frequenting this iPhone sub-forum in large numbers.

And this iPhone owner has owned Android(s) in the past, so my point stands that pretty much the only iPhone users who think about Androids are those who came from them or considered them at some point. The rest of us don't care.

I don't think thats 100% true. Almost every iphone user I come across most of who are one their first smartphone always asks me what phone I have and they seem genuinely interested in my phone. I already know several people that have played with my phone and have sold there iphones and got the nexus. And in my experience the galaxy nexus gets significantly better battery life than the iphone 4s in both idle and screen on and has much better reception.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't think thats 100% true. Almost every iphone user I come across most of who are one their first smartphone always asks me what phone I have and they seem genuinely interested in my phone. I already know several people that have played with my phone and have sold there iphones and got the nexus.

That's precisely my point. Those are the very iPhone users who would switch to Androids then come back here comparing them. Those who don't care about Androids wouldn't even ask about your Android in the first place, and lots of us here are like that.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
That's precisely my point. Those are the very iPhone users who would switch to Androids then come back here comparing them. Those who don't care about Androids wouldn't even ask about your Android in the first place, and lots of us here are like that.

Well that's kind of dumb. Not being open to other options is bad in the long run. I play with every mobile platform and keep up with all of them. The people that asked me about my phone weren't tech people either. Mostly women in their 40s and some younger people. People are definitely interested in android phones. Its most of the younger college age people that have been brainwashed into thinking that the only phone that works is the iPhone.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Well that's kind of dumb. Not being open to other options is bad in the long run. I play with every mobile platform and keep up with all of them. The people that asked me about my phone weren't tech people either. Mostly women in their 40s and some younger people. People are definitely interested in android phones. Its most of the younger college age people that have been brainwashed into thinking that the only phone that works is the iPhone.

That is because they're broke. A "Free" or $49 handset looks pretty good to them! Get a little older, have a house full of Macs and iPhones and iPads and Apple TVs etc. and you quickly realize how great it all works together and how wonderful the ecosystem really is. Android will never have that -- it's a disparate hodge-podge of stuff from different vendors that just doesn't work together like Apple does. My favorite quote from recent Android folks (regular Joes, not geeks) "Where is iTunes? How do I get my stuff on my phone?"

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
That is because they're broke. A "Free" or $49 handset looks pretty good to them! Get a little older, have a house full of Macs and iPhones and iPads and Apple TVs etc. and you quickly realize how great it all works together and how wonderful the ecosystem really is. Android will never have that -- it's a disparate hodge-podge of stuff from different vendors that just doesn't work together like Apple does. My favorite quote from recent Android folks (regular Joes, not geeks) "Where is iTunes? How do I get my stuff on my phone?"

So Androids only sell to broke people because they are cheap? Lol, typical iPhone snob. I suppose Windows dominates PC sales because they are cheap and sell to broke people too right?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
So Androids only sell to broke people? Lol, typical iPhone snob.

No, although we both know the vast, vast majority of Android handsets sold are defined as entry level to low end. That's the bulk of the business. Most folks walk in and take whatever is free or nearly so ($49 etc) with a new contract every 2 years. Those of us willing to pay up-front $700 or more for a handset are an extremely tiny minority.

The point I was making was in reference to the poster speaking about all these supposed college kids being dazzled by Android. As they tend to be not so well off financially during that time I think Android's popularity with that subsection is fairly easy and obvious to explain.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
So yes there's some 4, 5" phones, 16, 32GB handsets, great sound quality, more free apps on Android but STILL I don't get it. I really dislike the feel of Android. The App store bores me, the games are less superior especially free ones. The screens are much more unresponsive and the screen depth of text still doesn't match the retina. The build quality sucks on Samsungs. You just have to hold the Iphone vs the Samsung. Yes it's a bad idea to drop the Iphone but if you are careful it's a much smarter well made handset.

Galaxy note was almost as big as the Playbook. I tried most tablets in a store and found the playbook to be faster and more unique in design. The Android tablets were too complicated. The Galaxy had no home button unlike the Ipad and wiglets were annoying.

I go into phone shops all the time and they always dish the Iphone and say it's got crap signal, Android do better with there OS updates and this phone is much newer and better sound. Don't believe it.

The Iphone is much more interesting to use with Ibooks, the better app store, texting, surfing is smoother even was back in the 3GS days. The Iphone camera is better than any 5 or 8MP I've seen, Facetime is better than the dud 3G calls we had years ago.

It reminds me of the Sony Ericsson handsets they always had so much missing that Samsung never had but the K750i, K800i, C905 were all iconic flagship phones. Since Android came in it's been dull production lines of phones. Bigger memory, BIGGER screen, BIGGER camera like 12 mega pixels too much for a camera phone but they seem think it's better.

Give me IOS6 over any of these Android production line clones any day. 200 new features and a decent OS which works. Being honest there's not one handset I like. The odd Windows phone has got my eye but there's few others I'd prefer to own.

No doubt about it Iphone is the best all round smart phone money can buy. Iphone 3GS to the 4 to the 4S. Might lack some IOS6 features but from budget to high end comparison I'd much rather have the Iphone. Anybody agree?

The things you dislike about Android/Android phones. Taken from your post:

-boring app store
-games are worse, especially the free ones
-screens are less responsive
-text isn't as crisp as retina display (?)
-Samsung phones' build quality isn't good
-too complicated
-Samsung tablet didn't have a home button
-widgets are annoying
-worse texting
-less-smooth surfing
-worse cameras

Now I will discuss each of your points.

-boring app store
Describe "boring." If you're talking about design, I'd be really surprised to hear you say that. This doesn't look dull to me. If you're talking about apps, well, then I'd have to ask you: What are you wanting? Are the important apps not on there? Android's store has become quite large. I'm not sure what you mean by "boring."
-games are worse, especially the free ones
This one is totally true. But... this may matter to you, but there are other people out there who don't want to spend their time playing games. I don't know if this could be considered super important.
-screens are less responsive
Touch-sensitivity-wise? Or what? This could all depend on the display. As far as responsiveness on the software, I think you'll find that lists/pages scroll faster on Android than they do on iOS, which may make things feel more responsive.
-text isn't as crisp as retina display (?)
True for most Android phones. But pick up something like the HTC One X and you might be blown away.
-Samsung phones' build quality isn't good
If you're talking about the materials, this is what I have to say: Looks on the phone isn't everything. The plastic is more durable than glass, so that's something to think about. And there's a good chance you're just going to stick your phone in a case anyways, and then neither phones' materials will matter.
-too complicated
How is this a bad thing? Android has more choice.
-Samsung tablet didn't have a home button
That may be important to you but that doesn't mean it's important to everyone else.
-widgets are annoying
You don't have to use widgets if you don't want to.
-worse texting
How is texting worse on Android? iOS and Android texting apps are super similar. And besides, you have more options in Android texting apps.
-less-smooth surfing
This can be true a lot of the time. But if you want smooth experiences, use something like the HTC One X, the Galaxy S II, or the Galaxy S III. There's a good chance you won't be disappointed.
-worse cameras
Android cameras have more options than the iPhone. Some high end Android phones also have cameras very close to the iPhone 4S's. Not only that, but you can actually get the EXACT same camera sensor that the iPhone 4S uses in the Galaxy S III. Then you'll have the best sensor with tons of options. Nice, eh?

On a side note, Android tablets can be pretty slow and miserable. OP, if you haven't already done this, I HIGHLY recommend you use an HTC One X. Big and crisp screen, fast camera, smooth OS. It's nice.

jazzneel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
No, although we both know the vast, vast majority of Android handsets sold are defined as entry level to low end. That's the bulk of the business. Most folks walk in and take whatever is free or nearly so ($49 etc) with a new contract every 2 years. Those of us willing to pay up-front $700 or more for a handset are an extremely tiny minority.

The point I was making was in reference to the poster speaking about all these supposed college kids being dazzled by Android. As they tend to be not so well off financially during that time I think Android's popularity with that subsection is fairly easy and obvious to explain.

Are you just going to continue to make up stuff? You understand that the GSII was the best selling android smartphone in the world-which is a HIGH end phone. And the GSIII has already broken records that the GSII previously held. So no, the vast vast majority is NOT low end phones. Where do you get your information from, seriously??

And for "free" phones, you understand that the 3GS is free right now with a 2 year contract correct? That is on par with the low end android phones. And it is extremely laggy and can't handle many of the apps well either. How do I know this? A bunch of my friends still have the 3gs, and I hear this from them every day.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

Considering I have had iPhones for 4 years, jailbroke them and even decided to put up a few tweaks on Cydia for others to use, not to mention I have 4 ATV's, a MBP, 27"iMac, 2x iPad2's and still have an iP4... I believe I qualify to post in this section. Hell, I have even driven to the Cupertino HQ Apple home store just to say I have been there. I'm still a fan of Apple products.

However, I am also very capable of distinguishing the differences between the iP4 and my Galaxy S2 and in a couple of days my S3. I have never said the iphone was bad, just antiquated when compared to these newer phones. Phones you haven't used, and are apparently still basing your opinions old data before ICS and phones like the S3. I don't drink the kool-aid and bought what is considered by most people, THE best phone. Over 10 million pre-orders pretty much proves that.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

No the best selling android phones are all high end handsets actually. The droid Razr Maxx is the best selling one on verizon followed by the Galaxy nexus both of which until recently were 300 on contract. Most people aren't buying cheapo android phones. The other common ones are the htc phones and the droid series. Non of these are bottom barrel devices. The Galaxy s3 is already breaking sales records. The Galaxy s2 sold very well as well.

jazzneel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
I have owned both platforms. I was hoping to get an iPhone like phone on Verizon before it was released on the network, so I got a Droid X when it came out.

Overall, the phone was not terrible, but I would never own another android device.

The support on the phone broken. The way OS updates have to trickle down to the handsets do not work well. Google must develop the OS and send it to the OEMs. The OEMs customize it to work with their hardware. Then, the OEMs must get the blessing of the carriers and load the bloatware (think consumer Windows PCs) on top of that, and then finally several months later, it makes it to your handset.

There was a version on the HTC Incredible that had a security flaw where if you logged into a Google service through an open WiFi network, your credentials were exposed (it was not SSL encrypted). I am not sure if this ever was fixed as the handset was over a year old and HTC stopped releasing updates for it.

Another thing is that the Market at the time had so much junk in it. Any 12-year old that got a book and there mom and dad got them a phone put stupid stuff on the market, and it really diluted the quality of software. Not to mention the security related to these questionable applications. When Verizon told me I should install security software on the Droid when I bought it, I pretty much knew this was not the phone for me. This is a phone. It has a lot of sensitive information on it and it should be hardened from the factory.

The battery life was not that great. Occasionally I could not hear callers at all. The only way to resolve this would be to reboot the phone.

The last straw on that phone was the fact that I sent a work email and never received a response. I ended up sending about 12 that day. Never got a reply on any of them. Then I looked in my Outbox, and they were all hung. There was no way to send them, and I had to delete all of them, and compose them again from a computer. That made my mind of that this was not a business phone, this was more of a toy - an open handheld computer to tinker with. Google maps' navigation feature was totally off on some routes and unreliable. And that phone I believe is stuck on Android 2.3.

The iPhone on the other hand does not have the customizable stuff (widgets, etc.) that the android does. But it just works. The email is reliable. The OS is reliable. It has nice features like AirPlay, iTunes match, a great camera, and pre-screened apps to prevent the 12 year olds from hijacking your phone or stealing your information.

For a phone, I had much rather have a "closed" system like the iPhone instead of the Android. Not the case at all with computers, but for a phone, yes. If I were to move away from the iPhone, I would either go back to a BlackBerry, or to the Windows Phone.

Would you buy a phone from doubleclick.net? That is essentially what a Google phone is. Google is an ad company that just so happens to do search. I do not trust ad companies.

Google isn't an ad company, as they have their own products (gmail, gmaps, chrome, an OS, etc), but they do make the majority of their money from advertising. Btw Google owns doubleclick! (just a fyi).

But it sucks that you had such a bad experience with the phone. Some of my coworkers had that phone, and they absolutely loved it, and had no problems so you may have just had a bad phone.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
No the best selling android phones are all high end handsets actually. The droid Razr Maxx is the best selling one on verizon followed by the Galaxy nexus both of which until recently were 300 on contract. Most people aren't buying cheapo android phones. The other common ones are the htc phones and the droid series. Non of these are bottom barrel devices. The Galaxy s3 is already breaking sales records. The Galaxy s2 sold very well as well.

Yes, because there are so damn many entry/low-end Android handsets out there! Taken individually of course no one single handset would win but put together all of these cheapies are the vast majority of the market. You really think the average Android user springs for a Nexus or GS II? Let alone a GS III? Talk about clueless.

jazzneel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Yes, because there are so damn many entry/low-end Android handsets out there! Taken individually of course no one single handset would win but put together all of these cheapies are the vast majority of the market. You really think the average Android user springs for a Nexus or GS II? Let alone a GS III? Talk about clueless.

lol your logic is hilarious. Please back up your non-sense with something factual or at least that makes sense. Do you have any evidence other than you making wild guesses that this is true??

It all depends on the budget for all the individuals. The people considering an iPhone 4S are the sames ones considering a high-end android phone. Take a look at the total sales of the GSII, GSIII, Galaxy Nexus, One X, One S, Droid Maxx, Droid Razr. For the ones that are already out in the US, they are the best selling android handsets (and in Verizon, the maxx IS the best selling handset overall currently).

People will go for the android that best suits their needs. Many of the androids have keyboards, so they will go for that! I went for the GS I on sprint because of the keyboard, instead of going for the Evo.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Yes but why does apple get 75% of the profits? Because most of this android market are cheap prepaid things.

If you aren't a shareholder, why do you care? Apple's profits mean nothing to you. For some reason, people like you believe that your product is somehow better based on the profit margin per phone. Same could be said for Android fans that throughout marketshare numbers being an indicator that their phone is somehow better.

A product is better based on your needs and the capabilities of said product. If it can do or even exceed those requirements more so than another product, it is, by definition, better. In this case, the S3 is superior in just about every category over the iP4. This isn't conjecture, but based on nearly every review and comparison on the web. Even by noted iphone fans, like phonedog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.