Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I'm a really satisfied iPad user, and I ask you if I am the only on who thought that the 360ppi Retina Display, zero comments about iOS4 for iPad and HD iMovie video editing are a huge kick in the ass for all the iPad customers.

The iPad has just been launched into the world (and not the whole world yet), and Apple put some gorgeous features in a phone?

Steve Jobs introduces the iPad as a device that stands between the iPhone and MacBooks.
I'd really want to know your opinion about this, because I really felt betrayed after ten days of the iPad international launch.

I really, really hope for some good and huge news in the fall, when the iOS4 for iPad will be released.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
betrayed how exactly, they made a product, and you bought it knowing full well what you were getting. the fact that something different/better came along at a later date doesn't change the fact that the product you bought earlier was what you wanted at the time..does it?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Oh good god. Did your iPad stop working? The OS upgrade is coming to the iPad in September (and given the larger format of the iPad it will do what it does on the iPhone a bit better). As for the higher res display, it's because the iPhone has a really small screen. Better resolution makes it better, but I still won't use it to read a book or surf the web.

kingnimrod

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
yeah, it's a bit disappointing that the Ipad doesn't include the front-facing camera and the better display. The timing seems a bit off, because those two features will seem like glaring omissions until the next version of the ipad comes out.

I purchased my ipad to develop apps, so I won't whine about the lack of features as I expect all of the stuff I buy from Apple to pay for itself in a short period of time.

I'll relegate my anger to the long wait for the new Mac Pros.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
betrayed how exactly, they made a product, and you bought it knowing full well what you were getting. the fact that something different/better came along at a later date doesn't change the fact that the product you bought earlier was what you wanted at the time..does it?

Oh good god. Did your iPad stop working? The OS upgrade is coming to the iPad in September (and given the larger format of the iPad it will do what it does on the iPhone a bit better). As for the higher res display, it's because the iPhone has a really small screen. Better resolution makes it better, but I still won't use it to read a book or surf the web.

Yeah, I know, I agree with you both. But I'm still really annoyed that the iOS4 for the iPad is coming in 4 months.
Do you think it will be release in the fall because it's going to have some extra features designed specifically for the iPad?

PS - D'you expect iMovie HD video editing on iPad?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I'm a really satisfied iPad user, and I ask you if I am the only on who thought that the 360ppi Retina Display, zero comments about iOS4 for iPad and HD iMovie video editing are a huge kick in the ass for all the iPad customers.

The iPad has just been launched into the world (and not the whole world yet), and Apple put some gorgeous features in a phone?

Steve Jobs introduces the iPad as a device that stands between the iPhone and MacBooks.
I'd really want to know your opinion about this, because I really felt betrayed after ten days of the iPad international launch.

I really, really hope for some good and huge news in the fall, when the iOS4 for iPad will be released.

All the features of iOS 4 will be on the iPad. We are likely to get exclusive features for the iPad only, demonstrated in some media event in early Sept, along with iPod Touch refreshes.

The retina display is awesome, it's probably going to be in the iPad 2nd gen next year, I honestly think the Retina Display is probably not ready for the 9.7" production, otherwise they would use this in iPad a few months ago.

iMovie HD probably don't make sense as iPad itself don't have video camera. They'll still produce it for iPad, but they'll wait till iOS 4 comes out on iPad to get it more polished.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
yeah, it's a bit disappointing that the Ipad doesn't include the front-facing camera and the better display. The timing seems a bit off, because those two features will seem like glaring omissions until the next version of the ipad comes out..

Well, I'm okay with that, because it's a commercial decision, but iPhone and iPad have the same OS, and the iOS4 for iPad will come in the fall.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
All the features of iOS 4 will be on the iPad. We are likely to get exclusive features for the iPad only, demonstrated in some media event in early Sept, along with iPod Touch refreshes.

The retina display is awesome, it's probably going to be in the iPad 2nd gen next year, I honestly think the Retina Display is probably not ready for the 9.7" production, otherwise they would use this in iPad a few months ago.

Um.

lol.

You guys do know that "Retina display" is just a buzzword, a marketing phrase. It has absolutely nothing to do with any technology. The current resolution of the iPad is greater than the iPhone and also the iPad has the IPS/LED Backlit display.

I don't know what you guys expect from the iPhone to come to the iPad? Maybe the front facing camera.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
iMovie HD probably don't make sense as iPad itself don't have video camera. They'll still produce it for iPad, but they'll wait till iOS 4 comes out on iPad to get it more polished.

Yes, on the iPhone 4 iMovie is perfect with the videocamera. But it would be awesome to do have an iMovie version designer for the iPad, like iWork.

You could import your video files from the mac and make some cool video editing in that large screen.

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
I checked and sure enough all 3 pad's stopped working at precisely 10:03AM PST - refund anyone?

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
You guys do know that "Retina display" is just a buzzword, a marketing phrase. It has absolutely nothing to do with any technology. The current resolution of the iPad is greater than the iPhone and also the iPad has the IPS/LED Backlit display.

I understand, but having a higher density you can see more detailed contents. And iPad would have an higher resolution than 1024x768 -- that is already gorgeous on that screen.

Anyway, I know that the iPad display is spectacular. Maybe I'm only too engaged with brand new features.:eek:

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
iMovie on the iPad would be cool, especially if it interfaces with the camera connection kit.

I've been considering a P&S camera to. Carry around when I don't want/need my big DSLR. If the P&S had HD video and I could edit it on the iPad before sending out or uploading to YouTube, that would be super cool.

I wonder when exact iPad features will start to get discussed with the public.

It does suck that we have to wait until Fall, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Um.

lol.

I don't know what you guys expect from the iPhone to come to the iPad? Maybe the front facing camera.

Retina display is just a bunch of state of the art technologies mixed in to produce latest screen for the iPhone and likely for the iPad as well. It contains IPS screen with better contrast ratio with much denser PPI. Apple is just branding it as Retina display, which isn't a new technology itself we know. It's the same way Sony calls their TV Bravia, it's not a new technology, just a bunch of technology together combined to produce superior display.

The resolution by itself isn't the single factor here, we're talking about 360ppi display here, iPad doesn't have that. The denser ppi would allow everything to appear much more shaper, more colorful.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
MikhailT said:
The retina display is awesome, it's probably going to be in the iPad 2nd gen next year
Maybe, but if I had to bet on it then I'd go for 3rd gen 2012 for cost reasons.

For anyone feeling "betrayed" or similar because Apple sold you an iPad in the last couple of months that only had a 1024 x 768 screen, do you feel similarly betrayed that they only charged you a few hundred dollars for your device rather than a few thousand dollars? Even if a retina display is currently manufacturable in volume at the iPad screen size, it would cost an absolute fortune to do it. It'll come, once it can be produced in volume at the right price point for a mass-market device.

- Julian

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
iMovie on the iPad would be cool, especially if it interfaces with the camera connection kit.

(...)

It does suck that we have to wait until Fall, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

I really hope that..

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Retina display is just a bunch of state of the art technologies mixed in to produce latest screen for the iPhone and likely for the iPad as well. It contains IPS screen with better contrast ratio with much denser PPI. Apple is just branding it as Retina display, which isn't a new technology itself we know. It's the same way Sony calls their TV Bravia, it's not a new technology, just a bunch of technology together combined to produce superior display.

The resolution by itself isn't the single factor here, we're talking about 360ppi display here, iPad doesn't have that. The denser ppi would allow everything to appear much more shaper, more colorful.

Ah ok. I agree.

For a 9.7 inch screen the resolution would have to be at least 4x that of what the current iPad screen resolution is.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple develops a "retina display" for the iPad.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Considering the iPad was a completely new product, and the iPhone 4 was a few extra things added onto an existing product -- no, I don't think the iPhone 4 "blew away" the iPad.

iYellow

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
huge kick in the ass for all the iPad customers.

Hey there. I almost feel your pain, as I am a proud iPad UK user, and bought my iPad in the UK itself, and was a bit shocked at the sudden iPhone 4 announcement. Being a 3GS owner as well though, makes me realize that there isn't much difference between the iPhone 4 and it's predecessors; having 'FaceTime' isn't a big deal, and although the iPad has no front or rear facing camera, it did save us a bit of buck. The iPhone 5 will blow the iPhone 4 away, and lets think of it this way, the iPad is beautiful to read the internet on, no scrolling and scrolling to find the right part of text, and no pinching in to actually read the damn page. I use my iphone as my phone, and not an internet browser, instead I use my iPad for all that.

The iPad was a worthy investment, 4.0 or not, as the 4.0 software in my own experience is buggy beyond belief, annoying to close apps & also sometimes slow.

Your money went on a good product, believe me.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I use my iPhone to surf the web all the time, so this new display is great news to me.
I want an iPad, but I rather spend my money on the new iPhone. It´s more usefull to me.
This release made it less difficult to skip the iPad

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Hey there. I almost feel your pain, as I am a proud iPad UK user, and bought my iPad in the UK itself, and was a bit shocked at the sudden iPhone 4 announcement. Being a 3GS owner as well though, makes me realize that there isn't much difference between the iPhone 4 and it's predecessors; having 'FaceTime' isn't a big deal, and although the iPad has no front or rear facing camera, it did save us a bit of buck. The iPhone 5 will blow the iPhone 4 away, and lets think of it this way, the iPad is beautiful to read the internet on, no scrolling and scrolling to find the right part of text, and no pinching in to actually read the damn page. I use my iphone as my phone, and not an internet browser, instead I use my iPad for all that.

The iPad was a worthy investment, 4.0 or not, as the 4.0 software in my own experience is buggy beyond belief, annoying to close apps & also sometimes slow.

Your money went on a good product, believe me.

Yes, maybe I've been a little bit dramatic in my initial comment.

Anyway, you don't have to convince me, I know the iPad is a really good product for me. ;)

I simply can't wait for the iOS4.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple have a problem...........

1024x768 on the iPad

No it's not wide-screen, and despite what some may say it should be, cutting off the sides of a typical movie to see it full screen is not something that should happen in 2010.

But, they still have a problem with that screen res.

If they did go with Ipad-HD and make the screen res 1920x1080 then all current iPad software coming out over the next 12 to 18 months will scale horribly onto that pixel layout.

Their only option (to keep things looking nice) would be to pixel double it again.

They could go 2048 x 1536 (bit of an odd rez) and still not widescreen.

I really don't know how they will deal with this.

I know many will disagree, but the 1st model was the one to set the aspect ratio, and either they are going to be stuck at 4:3 forever when everyone else brings out wide-screen to make movies look their best, or they are going to have to make a mess later down the line.

MacSiggy

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
I think it's us international iPad owners who might feel like we've had our bonfire pissed on a bit as we've only had it just over a week. iPhone 4 and iOS4 look really good, it looks like the new iPhone will be Apple's new favourite child.

I'm pretty confident that iOS 4.0 will have some nice tricks for the iPad when it comes. I hope we get iMovie as that will be really useful for me for quick editing on the go. I can't imagine editing on the iPhone to be that great as the display is too small. The screen resolution on the new iPhone is pretty amazing but it's still a small screen. I wonder what resolution iPad 2 will get?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

I think you might be just the only one. Early adopters especially understand that all gadgets play a constant game of leapfrog. Deal with it or go back to the abacus. Those haven't been updated for years so no change of disappointment.

MacSiggy

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Apple have a problem...........

1024x768 on the iPad

No it's not wide-screen, and despite what some may say it should be, cutting off the sides of a typical movie to see it full screen is not something that should happen 2010.

I agree that widescreen would be better for films but the iPad isn't just a video player. I think a widescreen wouldn't feel right in your hands, and would certainly not work in portrait view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.