Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Apple have a problem...........

1024x768 on the iPad

No it's not wide-screen, and despite what some may say it should be, cutting off the sides of a typical movie to see it full screen is not something that should happen in 2010.

But, they still have a problem with that screen res.

If they did go with Ipad-HD and make the screen res 1920x1080 then all current iPad software coming out over the next 12 to 18 months will scale horribly onto that pixel layout.

Their only option (to keep things looking nice) would be to pixel double it again.

They could go 2048 x 1536 (bit of an odd rez) and still not widescreen.

I really don't know how they will deal with this.

I know many will disagree, but the 1st model was the one to set the aspect ratio, and either they are going to be stuck at 4:3 forever when everyone else brings out wide-screen to make movies look their best, or they are going to have to make a mess later down the line.

Sorry, no, the iPad shouldn't be widescreen. 4:3 is the best compromise for a device that not only plays movies but has to work as a computer too. Those that complain about this haven't thought it through in the same way that people complained about the bezel without realizing that it's kinda necessary in a touchscreen device to have a way to hold the device without touching the screen...

As for people banging on about wanting a 'retina display' in the iPad... are you really saying you expect to see a 2,000 pixel plus display in a 10" form factor at a reasonable cost and without utterly killing batter life? Oh, and with a processor / GPU combo capable of driving such a panel in the iPad form factor? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it but I just don't think the technology is there to either a) make the panel at a cheap enough price point or b) allow it to be used without killing the performance and battery life of the iPad.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry, no, the iPad shouldn't be widescreen. 4:3 is the best compromise for a device that not only plays movies but has to work as a computer too. Those that complain about this haven't thought it through in the same way that people complained about the bezel without realizing that it's kinda necessary in a touchscreen device to have a way to hold the device without touching the screen...

As for people banging on about wanting a 'retina display' in the iPad... are you really saying you expect to see a 2,000 pixel plus display in a 10" form factor at a reasonable cost and without utterly killing batter life? Oh, and with a processor / GPU combo capable of driving such a panel in the iPad form factor? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it but I just don't think the technology is there to either a) make the panel at a cheap enough price point or b) allow it to be used without killing the performance and battery life of the iPad.

I, or course respect your opinion, but I also disagree as when the iPad is in portrait mode (as in pages) and you use the on screen keyboard, if the display was wide-screen it would be better. You would then have almost a proper A4 shaped display area to work in, with the keyboard below it, rather than now where the keyboard takes up a fair chunk of the 4:3 display.

I can assure you 100% that if the iPad had been announced with a wide-screen display no-one here would be saying they had made a mistake and should have gone with 4:3 instead.

Everyone would have been saying "Of course wide-screen as that's what everything is these days"

All other prototype tablets I've seen from other companies have been wide-screen.

I'm sure at some point Apple will have to go 16:9, esp if all other tablets over the next few years are.

But then again, who knows :)

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I, or course respect your opinion, but I also disagree as when the iPad is in portrait mode (as in pages) and you use the on screen keyboard, if the display was wide-screen it would be better. You would then have almost a proper A4 shaped display area to work in, with the keyboard below it, rather than now where the keyboard takes up a fair chunk of the 4:3 display.

I can assure you 100% that if the iPad had been announced with a wide-screen display no-one here would be saying they had made a mistake and should have gone with 4:3 instead.

Everyone would have been saying "Of course wide-screen as that's what everything is these days"

All other prototype tablets I've seen from other companies have been wide-screen.

I'm sure at some point Apple will have to go 16:9, esp if all other tablets over the next few years are.

But then again, who knows :)

Is it that you have an issue with the black bars? I watch my movies in the original aspect ratio whenever it is offered. So I have black bars even on a 16:9 display. So it doesn't bother me on the iPad. For everything else on the iPad I think the 4:3 works great for it. Websites are not 16:9 nor are books or PDFs that I read on the device. I think they made a good compromise between all of that and form factor to hold the device.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Is it that you have an issue with the black bars? I watch my movies in the original aspect ratio whenever it is offered. So I have black bars even on a 16:9 display. So it doesn't bother me on the iPad. For everything else on the iPad I think the 4:3 works great for it. Websites are not 16:9 nor are books or PDFs that I read on the device. I think they made a good compromise between all of that and form factor to hold the device.

Well as long as you have a 4:3 monitor screen and not a 16:9 monitor screen on your home computer to browse the web with and watch TV's then I'd agree with you :)

Note: I don't want to make the iPads screen any smaller, I'd just love it if a little extra was added onto either side of the current screen to make it 16:9.

More is better :)

And (as I said) when working in portrait mode with the on screen keyboard you would have a move usable display area.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
What the hell?

The iPhone's display is smaller than iPad's. SMALLER. iPad has an IPS display and the screen is already stunning enough. iPhone's screen left a lot to be desired before 4 came along today (ie other smartphones had better than 320x240 crappy res than it).

You're telling me iPhone 4's display is better than the iPad's display now? You'd rather watch movies and surf on your iPhone 4? Seriously?

Second...front facing camera. This is a matter of personal preference, but I couldn't care less about one. Maybe one day we'll all be using "FaceTime" or something similar, but it's not a showstopper there's no front facing camera. That'll come in rev 2, and it's more essential on an iPhone that you can carry in your pocket than a tablet like the iPad.

Lastly...you are aware iOS is ALSO coming to iPad and will presumably have iPad-specific goodies plus most of whatever the iPhone already does?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Your device does everything it did yesterday.

I know, but we have to make sure it's still THE device everyone wants. I don't want iPhone stealing any Thunder. It still needs to be the device that everyone wants.

[/fanboi rant]

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I'd like to see iMovie available for the iPad and an easy way to transfer video into it (whether over bt from the iphone), 3G/wifi from other sources or from the camera connection kit.

hazmatzak

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Their only option (to keep things looking nice) would be to pixel double it again.

They could go 2048 x 1536 (bit of an odd rez) and still not widescreen.

It's odd only because 1600x1200 was the biggest common 4:3 before the switch to 16:10 and 16:9. But yes, doubling the existing display makes the most sense. And I would also agree that 264 PPI at 10 inches won't be affordable in the very near future.

In an earlier thread, I thought they could also go to 1920x1440, which has nicer sounding dimensions. You would get pixel-for-pixel 1080p. And yes, black bars, but that's only a problem if you're allergic to them.

On this forum? There's always some naysayer.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Retina display is just a bunch of state of the art technologies mixed in to produce latest screen for the iPhone and likely for the iPad as well. It contains IPS screen with better contrast ratio with much denser PPI. Apple is just branding it as Retina display, which isn't a new technology itself we know. It's the same way Sony calls their TV Bravia, it's not a new technology, just a bunch of technology together combined to produce superior display.

The resolution by itself isn't the single factor here, we're talking about 360ppi display here, iPad doesn't have that. The denser ppi would allow everything to appear much more shaper, more colorful.

This is Apple simply responding to the higher resolution screens that have been in Android and Windows Mobile phones for the last year or so. 960x640 vs 840x480. Its a little better, but only marginally so. Personally I about choked when he called it retina display, as if this screen is revolutionary, when in fact Apple is playing catch up in screen rez

raymond lin

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I am loving how people who are making a big deal out of the front facing camera. Seriously guys, there are LOADS of phones out there that came out in the past 3 years has that, but honestly now, hand on heart, how many times have you actually made a video call using that???

Me, none. I have a N95 (which i JUST sold for £70 to encirophone), that i paid £100 for 2 years ago. First, you need a friend who has a video camera phone, then they would want to let you see them. A lot of people like the phone because precisly the reason that it is visually annoymous. Like first thing in the morning when you are looking rough. Video calls hasn't taken off in 3 years, it is not going to take off now just because it is on the iphone. Not to mention currently it is only between iPhone 4G to another iPhone 4G whilst on wifi. That is some specifics ! That is probably when you are at home, i dunno.....the only occasion i can think that feature comes into use is talking to a girl and its not forum friendly lol

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The iPad is a big iPod Touch, not a big iPhone. The iPad will get its love in due time and it will improve the existing hardware functionality without having to upgrade your hardware at all.

Today just validated for me that there is room for both an iPhone and an iPad in my toolkit. The only thing I saw coming for the iPhone that makes perfect sense for me is Face Time over WiFi, particularly if it ends up being integrated with iChat on OSX.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
I think that the iPhone 4 only solidified my intention to wait for the next generation of the iPad because I know that it is going to be a pretty big step forward - as was the 3G compared to the first iPhone.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'm upset that I got my iPad a couple of weeks ago and just realized that Apple has had a 27" display in the iMac for quite some time now... so WHY wasn't that screen on the iPad instead of this dinky little 10" thing?!?!?!?!? :mad:

...or whatever, it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that Apple would be announcing a new iPhone... as in a new iPhone like they've done for that last 3 consecutive years about this time. :eek:

raymond lin

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I think that the iPhone 4 only solidified my intention to wait for the next generation of the iPad because I know that it is going to be a pretty big step forward - as was the 3G compared to the first iPhone.

I don't understand this thinking.

The next generation is always going to be better. You'll forever be waiting with this logic.

I'll get the next iPad but right now, I am loving this current iPad.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Bring On the Face Time

I like the Face Time option. I don't have any family where I live, so being able to 'see' my mom, for instance, will be fun.

88Keys

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007

The next generation is always going to be better. You'll forever be waiting with this logic.

+1
I fully agree.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
if apple ever creates an instant camera/webcam add-on for the iPad for $39.99 i will buy in! :D (it would connect with the 30 pin dock connector!):p

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007

Each update is going to be better - but how much better is where it depends. For example, the 3GS wasn't a worthwhile upgrade for me as the iPhone 4 is.

Next year, I doubt they're going to change the iPhone's design significantly so it might be minor hardware bumps. I'll be skipping that one too if I'm right.

As far as the iPad, I can see them changing the design and seriously bumping the hardware from what I've seen today with the iPhone 4. Just a hunch though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.