Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeanieMan

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Another Height Estimate

I did another estimate of the vertical dimension, based on the attached photo, and got 1352 pixels (height)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 2.17.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 2.17.05 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 112

BeanieMan

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Ppi

By the way, the estimates of pixels per inch come out to 334 in the first set of estimates and 332 in the second estimate.

Obviously, all these estimates could be way off, and they all hinge on the assumption that the displayed image is the same resolution as the one from the iphone 5, but placed in the exact center of the larger screen.

-AJBean

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Am I the only one that thinks that the twisting of two lightning cables in this video is odd.

And that you can't see where the other one is going.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Iffffffff this is legitimate, it's actually kinda sexy. And I don't even mind the bands anymore. Shows how much a quick polishing up can do, because these "leaks" have made it look disgusting.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I did another estimate of the vertical dimension, based on the attached photo, and got 1352 pixels (height)
You are not measuring from the bottom of the screen. You measured the bottom of the cable, but this isn't extending to the bottom of the screen. In your image you can clearly see the bottom of the screen.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
The individual components clearly haven't done justice to the final product. That thing looks very, very sleek.

It's also kind of impressive they've managed to piece the phone together. I wonder what would happen if they tried activating it following it's release?

BeanieMan

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
You are not measuring from the bottom of the screen. You measured the bottom of the cable, but this isn't extending to the bottom of the screen. In your image you can clearly see the bottom of the screen.

I didn't actually say what i measured here, or how I computed it, did I...

I measured the screen (which is obvious as you say). Call that Y. I also measured the part you see that I measured. Call that X. then the size of the picture is X - (Y-X) = 2X-Y. Then etc. Do you see now what I did?

BeanieMan

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I didn't actually say what i measured here, or how I computed it, did I...

I measured the screen (which is obvious as you say). Call that Y. I also measured the part you see that I measured. Call that X. then the size of the picture is X - (Y-X) = 2X-Y. Then etc. Do you see now what I did?

I guess i might as well say what I actually did.

Y is bottom of screen to top of screen. X is bottom of cable (presumed bottom of image) to top of screen.

X - (Y-X) = 2X-Y is bottom of image to top of image (assuming center placement).

image size presumably 1136. Scale that up to get the approximate vertical dimension: 1136*Y/(2X-Y).

----------

Does anyone know if it's possible to correct for camera lens distortion? This, followed by a linear transformation to make it appear that the photo was taken perpendicular to the screen rather than at an oblique angle, might give a more accurate resolution estimate.

I'm guessing that without knowing what camera (and in particular which lens), and without knowing exactly what the crop is, it's probably not possible to correct the distortion.

Kwstas

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2013
ugliest iphone ever

If this is the final design then we re talking about the ugliest, most samsung-like, iPhone ever. iPhone 4, 5 was like bang & olufsen. iPhone 6 is like Samsung. Bevels, extracted camera, outlines? WTF? Made only for US & Chinese people who suffer from bad taste? Maybe.

Atiumite

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2013
I'm just glad to see the chamfered edges go away. Of all the pretty and delicate design decision for iPhones so far, it always seemed like the most uselessly delicate… I could scratch and chip it by looking at it wrong (for both the 5 and 5S). And the transition from pretty to yikes is slim and shocking.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I still find it hard to believe that they're going with the horrible sticking out camera lens.

----------

If this is the final design then we re talking about the ugliest, most samsung-like, iPhone ever. iPhone 4, 5 was like bang & olufsen. iPhone 6 is like Samsung. Bevels, extracted camera, outlines? WTF? Made only for US & Chinese people who suffer from bad taste? Maybe.

Apple products tend to look nicer when you see the final product in the flesh so to speak but I have to agree with you that it doesn't look anything special and it does look like something Samsung would put out. The problem is that the iPhone business is so important to them now that they can't afford to be all that radical which is probably why they are playing it safe hoping that people will buy it for the larger screen and iOS8.

davidalxndr

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
damn

i was really hoping it wouldn't be like this with the ugly ass camera ring and the bands guess ill just wait for the note 4 or go for a cheaper 5s, i was really hoping to go back to apple and a bigger screen but the phone looks ugly to me and i don't want my phone to rock when i put it on a table and try to do things, on it while im eating or using the computer smh

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
so.. what size was that? (assuming this is real)
I like the looks of it, I don't like the camera lens ring and the stripes on the back...

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
battery life and camera: thickness

get a battery case.

It would be MUCH smaller if they increased the battery life internally instead of using an external case. I would think they could make the battery life quite a bit longer by increasing the iPhone thickness 10% than getting a case which increases the physical size 50%-80% (and possibly still not attaining the same battery life).

I'm not doing any scientific calculations here, it's just those cases (and I've had a few) have a lot of wasted space since they have to enclose a battery and fit firmly on the phone, I'd think there is some inefficiency using a battery to charge a battery too (but I can't say how large).

And the battery case would not help with the camera at all. The thinner the case is, it has to affect the camera some.

Gary

GoPro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Actually, the phone in "Feld & Volk" video is the real deal (design and color vise). Whether it's actually a working unit or not is up for debate.

Hopefully colour-wise it's not real otherwise those ugly lines + ipad 2 style shell colour will really reduce the aesthetic desirability of the iPhone for lots of people (including myself).

Knowing apple it probably is the real deal like you said and they will bring back black for the 6S

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
This seems to be fake. As you can see, the iOS 8 recovery logo is red (as seen on my iPhone 5s running iOS 8 beta 5). There's no reason for this device to have the iOS 7 recovery logo for any reason. Plus wtf is that gear logo. That's seen nowhere in iOS.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.