Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I don't understand why Apple doesn't fix the hardware issue and stop deceiving their customers with software patched that don't resolve the problem. I always expected better customer service from Apple and am surprised at these deceptive tactics.

Reactions: determined09

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
There is no hardware issue. Maybe a handful of phones have ACTUAL hardware issues, but for most of us, the problem was remedied 6-8 weeks ago. That's when this thread slowed WAY down.

I don't know if it was an iOS update, a carrier settings update or something Verizon was silently tweaking on their network (or some combination), but again, the problem pretty much went away for most people awhile back. I used to lose signal and/or drop down to 1x or 3G a lot when I first got the iPhone 7 in September, but I haven't seen this happen for roughly 2 months now.

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
Right there with you guys, it's several times a week for my iPhone 7 and my 7plus that we have to cycle airplane mode to data back. Since the 10.0.3 update it has only masked the issue by reporting LTE even though it isn't working. Although I've had 4 replacements, I'm going to go to apple and get new phones... sure it won't help. So pissed at apple.
Your correct, it shows LTE but doesn't actually have it.

Reactions: determined09

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
I have had my Verizon iPhone 7 256 Gig Jet Black since Oct 7th. I have had the dreaded Verizon No Service/No GPS bug since day#1. Apple has replaced the phone several times- I'm on #5 and it still has the same problem in my parking garage/apt. No previous issues with my 6S.

My iPhone history:

1. Original retail, week 39: right out of the box- No SERVICE, NO GPS. Resets with toggle Airplane Mode. Difficulty holding LTE signal. iOS 10.01. Factory F7

2. Replacement #1, week 42: actually worked normally, but the lower right hand keyboard/screen was not as responsive as the rest of the screen. iOS 10.1 Betas. Factory F7

3. Replacement #2, Week 40: No Service/No GPS bug in parking garage and lingering outdoors where normally strong LTE signal. Didn't even take the plastic off the phone and went back to the Genius Bar. iOS 10.1 Betas. Factory C7

4. Replacement #3, Week 41: No Service/No GPS bug in parking garage. Replaced SIM card at Verizon store 2 times: the last time made the problem more apparent. iOS 10.1 betas and iOS 10.2 betas. Factory C7

5. Replacement #4, Week 39. Still No Service/No GPS bug in parking garage. iOS 10.2 Betas. Factory C7.

I got the run around with senior Apple Support since I could not get a NEW retail iPhone since the iPhone 7 had not been released 90 days. (they kept trying to order it, but it kept getting rejected without anyone communicating this to me). It's now just past 90 days and my second senior Apple support technician assures me that he will Express Replacement New Retail iPhone 7 this week.

My feeling is that as many people have stated that there are 2 issues- software (which seem to be addressed with iOS updates) as well as a real hardware issue for iPhone 7s prior to week 42. It seems as others have also described that when you go to a location where the LTE signal is not as strong, there is a very real problem where the iPhone 7 cannot switch to a 700Mhz signal that penetrates buildings better.

I'm hoping that #6 will be a post week 42 iPhone and that I won't have this bug anymore. It's been a very frustrating experience- never had so many issues with a single device- have been on the 5, 5S, 6S before.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I have had my Verizon iPhone 7 256 Gig Jet Black since Oct 7th. I have had the dreaded Verizon No Service/No GPS bug since day#1. Apple has replaced the phone several times- I'm on #5 and it still has the same problem in my parking garage/apt. No previous issues with my 6S.

My iPhone history:

1. Original retail, week 39: right out of the box- No SERVICE, NO GPS. Resets with toggle Airplane Mode. Difficulty holding LTE signal. iOS 10.01. Factory F7

2. Replacement #1, week 42: actually worked normally, but the lower right hand keyboard/screen was not as responsive as the rest of the screen. iOS 10.1 Betas. Factory F7

3. Replacement #2, Week 40: No Service/No GPS bug in parking garage and lingering outdoors where normally strong LTE signal. Didn't even take the plastic off the phone and went back to the Genius Bar. iOS 10.1 Betas. Factory C7

4. Replacement #3, Week 41: No Service/No GPS bug in parking garage. Replaced SIM card at Verizon store 2 times: the last time made the problem more apparent. iOS 10.1 betas and iOS 10.2 betas. Factory C7

5. Replacement #4, Week 39. Still No Service/No GPS bug in parking garage. iOS 10.2 Betas. Factory C7.

I got the run around with senior Apple Support since I could not get a NEW retail iPhone since the iPhone 7 had not been released 90 days. (they kept trying to order it, but it kept getting rejected without anyone communicating this to me). It's now just past 90 days and my second senior Apple support technician assures me that he will Express Replacement New Retail iPhone 7 this week.

My feeling is that as many people have stated that there are 2 issues- software (which seem to be addressed with iOS updates) as well as a real hardware issue for iPhone 7s prior to week 42. It seems as others have also described that when you go to a location where the LTE signal is not as strong, there is a very real problem where the iPhone 7 cannot switch to a 700Mhz signal that penetrates buildings better.

I'm hoping that #6 will be a post week 42 iPhone and that I won't have this bug anymore. It's been a very frustrating experience- never had so many issues with a single device- have been on the 5, 5S, 6S before.

Please let us know how it goes with the new phone. I am on the iPhone upgrade program and have been wanting to upgrade from a 6s+ to a 7+ since the day that the iPhone 7 was released, but have been delaying because of the problems that were and still are being reported in this thread. I really believe that this problem is a hardware problem that Apple is attempting to workaround and/or mask with software changes. It is really unfortunate that Apple and Verizon have not been open regarding the nature of the problem.

My question is: "How could the iPhone 7 have a reception problem that did not exist in the iPhone 6s? Don't both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6s use the same radio chip set? Also, if the Qualcomm chipset is the same between the two generations of phones, why would a software modification be necessary to resolve the problem?

b00psmcg0ps

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
FYI I noticed another carrier settings update for Verizon on my iPhone 7. Just updated it. Found out by going to settings>about and then it said there was a carrier update to apply. It's now 27.1.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
FYI I noticed another carrier settings update for Verizon on my iPhone 7. Just updated it. Found out by going to settings>about and then it said there was a carrier update to apply. It's now 27.1.
Yup, came out along with iOS 10.2 earlier this week.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
What is the situation with the latest software updates and the latest carrier update? Do these updates resolve the issue completely, or are some users still experiencing the issues? How about you Calibear? What is your current situation?

I really want to get an iPhone 7 but have been holding-off because of these issues. I am hoping that the problems will be resolved and I can upgrade my phone to a trouble-free new iPhone 7 by Christmas.

davethu

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Is anyone else having cellular connectivity issues on VZW?

My phone is saying "No Service" in previously strong-signal areas? Mine has done this about 4 times that I've noticed in the past 24 hours. It lasts about 2-3 minutes each time.

iPhone 7 Plus 128GB, Verizon
Fully up-to-date: 10.0.1 and VZW 25.1 carrier settings.
I just got my 7 plus yesterday, updated it to the latest software release. Phone reception is horrible. I use my phone a ton at my desk at work. My iPhone 6 had perfect reception. This one is so bad, I have to hang up and call people back on a landline.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I just got my 7 plus yesterday, updated it to the latest software release. Phone reception is horrible. I use my phone a ton at my desk at work. My iPhone 6 had perfect reception. This one is so bad, I have to hang up and call people back on a landline.
Thanks for posting your experience. It sounds like the iPhone 7 still has problems. Why doesn't Apple fix this :( ?

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
What is everyone's experience with the latest software? Does it resolve the iPhone 7 reception problems? CaliBear, what is happening with your situation? Did you receive your new phone?

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
My question is: "How could the iPhone 7 have a reception problem that did not exist in the iPhone 6s? Don't both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6s use the same radio chip set? Also, if the Qualcomm chipset is the same between the two generations of phones, why would a software modification be necessary to resolve the problem?

I don't think there is a hardware issue. No one that had received a replacement phone (myself included) has seen an improvement. The ONLY people that saw an improvement probably had truly defective phones, but that's not the case for most. For most people the problem seems to have faded over time. Not sure if this is due to iOS updates, carrier settings updates, back-end changes Verizon has been making on their network, or some combination.

I'm not sure what is so different about the iPhone 7 vs. the 6S that is causing such different behaviors on Verizon's network, but I use an LTE Network Extender at home and as soon as my wife and I got our iPhone 7 phones they would no longer connect to it. We had no issues with our iPhone 6S and the extender. It took Verizon 2 months to fix the issue with the Network Extender and they did so by making a back-end network change (not with a software update on the extender itself).

What's so different about the iPhone 7 that's causing such different behaviors from the iPhone 6S especially since they use the same chipset as you said? Good question.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Im having issues with my replacement phone. Just got off the phone with Apple, and I can tell the rep I had was not as knowledgeable as past reps. I compared with my iPhone 5 to rule out the service (btw I'm on Tmobile) and my call quality on my 5 is far better. My calls are in and out to a point where it's not ignorable. I have to make sure to not move around my home too much because then its very robotic sounding. I will make a test call tomorrow, but to be honest I am starting to think it is Verizon model phones. Not sure, but it's aggravating me. Does anyone know if there is a way to see if my first and second phone was from the same batch? I was told no from Apple, but have my doubts. I wish I didn't trade in my 6 now, because I had no issues.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Im having issues with my replacement phone. Just got off the phone with Apple, and I can tell the rep I had was not as knowledgeable as past reps. I compared with my iPhone 5 to rule out the service (btw I'm on Tmobile) and my call quality on my 5 is far better. My calls are in and out to a point where it's not ignorable. I have to make sure to not move around my home too much because then its very robotic sounding. I will make a test call tomorrow, but to be honest I am starting to think it is Verizon model phones. Not sure, but it's aggravating me. Does anyone know if there is a way to see if my first and second phone was from the same batch? I was told no from Apple, but have my doubts. I wish I didn't trade in my 6 now, because I had no issues.

Sounds like you received a defective phone. Call quality on my iPhone 7 is at least as good as my 6S.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Sounds like you received a defective phone. Call quality on my iPhone 7 is at least as good as my 6S.

I was advised that recovery mode would help but it didn't. I'm going to take it in tomorrow. Very frustrating because Apple or at least the rep I had is claiming to not hear of other people with my issue when there are enough of articles online and more than enough people in my situation. Even if I'm in the one percent it sucks especially twice. I dont know which thread it was someone had to go through three phones to get a working one. Any who take care all.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I really wish that I could take advantage of the Apple Upgrade Program that I'm currently signed up for. I really want to trade in my 6s+ for a 7+ but am too worried about the reception problem. I am seeing reports that the problem is gone, while other folks are still reporting the reception problem. I am very conflicted and still waiting to hear from Calibear regarding the status of his replacement phone.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
I really wish that I could take advantage of the Apple Upgrade Program that I'm currently signed up for. I really want to trade in my 6s+ for a 7+ but am too worried about the reception problem. I am seeing reports that the problem is gone, while other folks are still reporting the reception problem. I am very conflicted and still waiting to hear from Calibear regarding the status of his replacement phone.
Keep your current phone if you don't need another one or try unless (I'm not too familiar with the program specifics) you have to trade it in. Perhaps buy a new one separately and compare? Part of me is thinking to do that. I got off the phone with a senior rep at apple and was told the antennae is different so probably the reason. Don't know and stumped.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008

Do you have a 14-day window to return your iPhone 7 if you don't like it and just keep the 6S? I'm not sure how the upgrade program works, but I would look into that.

This thread slowed way down about 6-8 weeks ago for a reason. Most people aren't really noticing issues anymore (myself included). Can I say that the problem is 100% fixed and that there's not room for more tweaking? No. But, I haven't noticed the issue in quite some time where as I was noticing it a lot in September and early October.

That said, the iPhone 7 is barely an upgrade from the iPhone 6S in my opinion. I wouldn't really be in hurry to upgrade unless you have a risk-free trial period where you can return the iP7 and keep your 6S. If that's not the case, just wait until next September when the iPhone 8 (or whatever it's called) comes out.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Jkozlo3, thanks for the idea. I will contact Apple to determine if I can get an iphone 7+ for a trial period while holding-on to my 6s+ in the event that the 7+ has the reception problem.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
What is everyone's experience with the latest software? Does it resolve the iPhone 7 reception problems? CaliBear, what is happening with your situation? Did you receive your new phone?

I'm still waiting for my new retail replacement iPhone 7. I haven't even gotten the new Case/Repair ID.

So much for Express Replacement.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I'm still waiting for my new retail replacement iPhone 7. I haven't even gotten the new Case/Repair ID.

So much for Express Replacement.

Wow! That is really terrible service from Apple for a $1000 phone! I would be calling them 3 times per day until they get sick of me.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks for posting your experience. It sounds like the iPhone 7 still has problems. Why doesn't Apple fix this :( ?

Look at the recent activity in this thread - or rather, lack of activity. Clearly there are a few people still having problems, but somewhere between carrier updates and iOS updates the problems have disappeared for most people. Side by side tests with my wife's 6 and my daughter-in-law's 6S show that my 7 is doing at least as well in our poor reception area as the other two phones.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
I finally got my new retail box Verizon Jet Black 256 gig iPhone 7 replacement today. Overnight FedEx.

It's Production week 43 and comes from the DNP factory. Came with a new Verizon Sim card already installed- a few dB stronger than my previous iPhone 7.

But the strange thing is that the white box placement from Week 40, C7 factory- boots up faster that my new one. I noticed that compared to the previous replacement one as well F7 factory.

I haven't taken the new iPhone into my garage yet so can't tell if the NO SERVICE bug is gone. Updates to follow.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I finally got my new retail box Verizon Jet Black 256 gig iPhone 7 replacement today. Overnight FedEx.

It's Production week 43 and comes from the DNP factory. Came with a new Verizon Sim card already installed- a few dB stronger than my previous iPhone 7.

But the strange thing is that the white box placement from Week 40, C7 factory- boots up faster that my new one. I noticed that compared to the previous replacement one as well F7 factory.

I haven't taken the new iPhone into my garage yet so can't tell if the NO SERVICE bug is gone. Updates to follow.
[doublepost=1483161031][/doublepost]Calibear,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know when you have tried it in the garage. I really want to upgrade but am waiting for the result of your test. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.