Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Well, I finally got to try out the new retail iPhone 7 in my garage.

It's better- I only saw NO SERVICE for a split second, I did see it rapidly switch from Verizon -> 1x -> 3G. But it also didn't hold 4G LTE signal most of the time. And so far, I did not see NO GPS, but it was late when I rolled in and didn't really pay that close attention. No issues driving up I5 from LA - SJ during the holiday traffic last night (stop and go near Kettleman City- wth?!)

Update: in my parking garage- second floor goes to NO GPS on Waze.

The iPhone 7 had service in my elevator and hallway when the other phones said NO Service.

All in all, it's better, but not perfect. But after all this- at least, it works mostly now.

Last edited:

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Well, I finally got to try out the new retail iPhone 7 in my garage.

It's better- I only saw NO SERVICE for a split second, I did see it rapidly switch from Verizon -> 1x -> 3G. But it also didn't hold 4G LTE signal most of the time. And so far, I did not see NO GPS, but it was late when I rolled in and didn't really pay that close attention. No issues driving up I5 from LA - SJ during the holiday traffic last night (stop and go near Kettleman City- wth?!)

The iPhone 7 had service in my elevator and hallway when the other phones said NO Service.

All in all, it's better, but not perfect. But after all this- at least, it works mostly now.

Thanks for the update. Overall, how did it compare to your previous experience with the iPhone 6s? Do you think it is worth upgrading for the improved camera and the higher CPU speed?

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Do you think it is worth upgrading for the improved camera and the higher CPU speed?

I'm not calbear, but my answer would be "no". The 6S and 7 are practically the same device. Personally, I'd wait until this Fall when the next iPhone is released. You've only got 8 months to go at this point.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I'm not calbear, but my answer would be "no". The 6S and 7 are practically the same device. Personally, I'd wait until this Fall when the next iPhone is released. You've only got 8 months to go at this point.

I understand the reason for your reply, however I am on the Apple upgrade program paying monthly and that this the reason that I am considering upgrading.

calbear92

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Since I got a good deal- traded in my iPhone 5 for $400 Verizon credits, I'm pretty happy with the deal. If I didn't get this deal, I would not have gotten the upgrade.

The camera is definitely better and it is snappier. Better battery life and got the Jet Black.

I gave my dad my 6S and he's a happy camper too.

But I also plan to get the 8 later this year.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They are about as same devices as at least a numbered model and an S model, so not quite the same. And yes the next release is about 9 months or so away (most likely), just like pretty much any release is just about 12 months away from the last one, so one could always be waiting for the next one.

deadpool5150

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
I understand the reason for your reply, however I am on the Apple upgrade program paying monthly and that this the reason that I am considering upgrading.

Don't upgrade yet. The device for CDMA networks is STILL jacked up, and I've had this confirmed from AppleCare directly because I have an open ticket with engineering for this EXACT issue. The most they have done is make the sensitivity less so that it doesn't show "no service" without being off-network for a longer duration. The resolution is to toggle airplane mode on and then back off to "reset" the communication hardware "basically the modem inside the device". This is no different then when your cable modem loses connection with the service in your home and have to power cycle the device to re-establish the connection.

THAT is why it will drop to 1x and then go 3G and never reconnect with LTE until you toggle airplane mode or power cycle the device. This has been with 3 pair of devices from apple and this is completely unacceptable. It seems to be revolving around which modem is in the device, either Qualcomm or Intel.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Don't upgrade yet. The device for CDMA networks is STILL jacked up, and I've had this confirmed from AppleCare directly because I have an open ticket with engineering for this EXACT issue. The most they have done is make the sensitivity less so that it doesn't show "no service" without being off-network for a longer duration. The resolution is to toggle airplane mode on and then back off to "reset" the communication hardware "basically the modem inside the device". This is no different then when your cable modem loses connection with the service in your home and have to power cycle the device to re-establish the connection.

THAT is why it will drop to 1x and then go 3G and never reconnect with LTE until you toggle airplane mode or power cycle the device. This has been with 3 pair of devices from apple and this is completely unacceptable. It seems to be revolving around which modem is in the device, either Qualcomm or Intel.

Your comment that I bolded above is a bit deceiving and incorrect.

Apple/Verizon has certainly done more to fix the issue than just making it stop displaying "no service" to provide a placebo effect if that's what you are implying. When the iPhone 7 was first released, I experienced the signal dropping to 1x or "no service" quite frequently. In addition to this, when I was using a navigation app such as Waze, the app would tell me that there was no data connection upon losing service. I would see this while on the highway heading to the airport - a route I've taken 1-2 times/month for years. Before the iP7 was released, I never saw a complete loss of signal on this highway.

The issue happened quite frequently from launch day (mid-September) into roughly mid-October. Over the past 2 months, I've taken this same trip to the airport ~4-5 times and I haven't had a single issue.

So...

Apple may still be tweaking things and there may still be room for improvement, but they HAVE definitely improved things already. Not sure if the improvements have been in the form of iOS updates, Verizon carrier settings updates or tweaks that Verizon may have made to their network on the back end (or some combination of these 3), but things have definitely improved quite a bit.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

While some phones might still be experiencing some of these issues, it seems that many/most aren't, at least not for a while now.

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
Your comment that I bolded above is a bit deceiving and incorrect.

Apple/Verizon has certainly done more to fix the issue than just making it stop displaying "no service" to provide a placebo effect if that's what you are implying.

While I'm sure they have done more as service is vastly improved, I don't think his statement was deceiving or incorrect. I believe they have done this as my device will still occasionally have no service or surely act like no service it always shows LTE and 2-3 dots of service.

hifu

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2017
On an island
A new phone 7 will not help. I'm on my 2nd replacement and 2nd simm card. I'm going to try a get someone to replace it with a 6.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
A new phone 7 will not help. I'm on my 2nd replacement and 2nd simm card. I'm going to try a get someone to replace it with a 6.

What issues are you having? No one has posted in this thread for nearly a month. Clearly the issue has been solved for 99.9% of us. I had several issues in September/October when the iP7 was first released, but I haven't had a problem in ~3 months.

hifu

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2017
On an island
Has anyone got their phone 7 (Verizon) replaced and it actually fixed the problem?

when I turn off LTE voice, I don't have any problems with GPS and "no service" when using map apps, but I haven't driven out of Long Island which worries me
No it did not..I'm on my 2nd one plus we tried a new simm. We need to get a iPhone 6 losnet
[doublepost=1486093087][/doublepost]
Guys stop bothering replacing SIM cards, replacing the phone, wiping clean and resetting etc. nothing is going to help.
I concur

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009

I'm sorry that you are having these problem with your iphone.
Do you have 10.2.1 on your iPhone 7 plus?

Last edited:

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
No it did not..I'm on my 2nd one plus we tried a new simm. We need to get a iPhone 6 losnet
[doublepost=1486093087][/doublepost]
I concur

Several weeks ago, I upgraded from a 6s+ to a 7+ and have been doing extensive testing in weak signal areas. I have not experienced any problems. What problem are you experiencing?

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
I'm sorry that you are having these problem with your iphone.
Do you have 10.2.1 on your iPhone 7 plus?

Edited to add: There will be some updates coming soon to VZW.
It does seem to be fixed for the most part. The only issue I still have is in bad reception areas the phone will not switch from volte to the old network. With volte off my phone works in this parking garage I'm wiring right now, with it on I can't make or receive calls.

Reactions: determined09

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
It does seem to be fixed for the most part. The only issue I still have is in bad reception areas the phone will not switch from volte to the old network. With volte off my phone works in this parking garage I'm wiring right now, with it on I can't make or receive calls.

I wonder if you are experiencing some other problem. I have have done everything including testing the phone in very marginal lte areas (-119 db) and I don't experience the problem.

hifu

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2017
On an island
Yup, that's what I did also. So no volte, no everything else you expect this new improved phone

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Do tell. Making a statement like that and leaving us hanging is just, well, cruel :(

I'm sorry. That's all that I was told and I didn't ask any additional questions. I didn't want to bug this person. They are really busy. Sorry. :(:(:( please accept my deepest apologizes. I'm assuming that it's a carrier update in an iOS update. Sorry, I don't visit macrumors as often as I use to.

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I'm sorry. That's all that I was told and I didn't ask any additional questions. I didn't want to bug this person. They are really busy. Sorry. :(:(:( please accept my deepest apologizes. I'm assuming that it's a carrier update in an iOS update. Sorry, I don't visit macrumors as often as I use to.

No worries! I totally understand, and thank you for posting back rather than leaving the question unanswered :)

We all have our fingers crossed for some really good news :)

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
No worries! I totally understand, and thank you for posting back rather than leaving the question unanswered :)

We all have our fingers crossed for some really good news :)

You're welcome. There was a Carrier update with 10.3.1. ;)
Hopefully this update will help everyone out.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
There hasn't been an issue in ~5 months. Problem was solved for most of us long ago.
I'm not trying to be rude here but there are some people posted issues here like back in feb 2017 which was just two months ago. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.