Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
For B2B due to maintenance, many requires vendors promised provide some devices for replacement under certain years.

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
It makes sense that they continue production. Discontinuing a product means they are primarily removing it from their official product lineup so as to avoid price clashes, as was the case with discontinuing iPhone X and Apple Watch 4 (too similar to their successors). I suppose in the same way they discontinue older devices, which doesn't mean they kill assembly lines. Like it's already been pointed out, they can't really kill assembly lines because so long as the model is being sold somewhere, they need to make replacement units.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't they manufacture all Iphones for up to five years from the launch year? They may shift production around (say from China to India), but they keep the assembly lines going for a long time. As someone posted earlier, they need replacements and sell through low-cost retailers.

Bolded:

then I would ask you, has there ever been an iPhone that’s had a shorter manufacturing lifespan of less than five years? [Then that would be your answer.]

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It was never discontinued in the first place. The Apple Store stopped selling them, but manufacturing continues for carriers for years. iPhones have a long tail end.

AT&T still sells the iPhone 7 and X. Do people think these are just random units that AT&T found lying around?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I wouldn’t mind if they kept making new iPhone 7’s until 2025 honestly. It is definitely my favorite iPhone model. I have the new SE, iPhone XS and 11 right now, but I have a 7 I use at times as well.
I have the 7 and still like it, but I'm curious in what way you find it superior to the 2020 SE.

broadleaf35

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Bolded:

then I would ask you, has there ever been an iPhone that’s had a shorter manufacturing lifespan of less than five years? [Then that would be your answer.]

Ok. Has there been an iPhone series that's had a shorter lifespan of less than five years?

I am looking for answers :cool:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Ok. Has there been an iPhone series that's had a shorter lifespan of less than five years?

I am looking for answers :cool:

iPhone 5C.

We all know Apple continues to manufacturer older models for carriers for 3-4 years after introduction. But the iPhone 5C was taken out of market even in India just after 2 years.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I bought it new, sealed box.
Original box, contains everything + full apple warranty + 2 years extended) and 1 year apple tv included.
Model number starts with an ”m” which means it’s brand new.
What country are we talking about???
Apple has older versions of the iPhone available in some countries

broadleaf35

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
iPhone 5C.

We all know Apple continues to manufacturer older models for carriers for 3-4 years after introduction. But the iPhone 5C was taken out of market even in India just after 2 years.

I forgot about that one. Yes, that didn't last long at all. Suffered from the 5 series tech (and issues) and launch of 64-bit processors in the 5s on.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I wouldn’t mind if they kept making new iPhone 7’s until 2025 honestly. It is definitely my favorite iPhone model. I have the new SE, iPhone XS and 11 right now, but I have a 7 I use at times as well.

Mine's the 4 to be honest. At least the housing. Loved how it felt back in the day. Moved to Android since the 4S but looking forward to the iPhone 12 - assuming it looks really like the renderings ...

supertiffany

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2019

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
The iPhone 7 is still fast, but the audio chipset failing issue and the cellular modem failure issue have helped to make it in my opinion one of the worst modern iPhones yet.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The iPhone 7 is still fast, but the audio chipset failing issue and the cellular modem failure issue have helped to make it in my opinion one of the worst modern iPhones yet.

Yup. The Concerning issue with the iPhone 7 was, if you sold your iPhone 7 on your network to somebody else on a different XYZ network, the phone couldn’t be calibrated specifically for that network, ultimately ‘bricking’ the phone. It was an unforeseen issue that went on for months confusing carriers, let alone until Apple actually discovered this due to the modem connectivity indicating ‘No signal’.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Yup. The Concerning issue with the iPhone 7 was, if you sold your iPhone 7 on your network to somebody else on a different XYZ network, the phone couldn’t be calibrated specifically for that network, ultimately ‘bricking’ the phone. It was an unforeseen issue that went on for months confusing carriers, let alone until Apple actually discovered this due to the modem connectivity indicating ‘No signal’.

I’ve actually seen iPhone 7’s that have been on the same network since new do that as well. Probably why Apple has a quality program for them, and the second that program ends, every remaining iPhone 7 owner is screwed to the tune of $319 (The price of a replacement through Apple) if they don’t want to upgrade.

Strangely, my grandma has an iPhone 7 from Japan of all places (we live in the US so I have NO idea where she got it) and has it on AT&T with absolutely 0 issues so far. It has flabbergasted me.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I put my SIM card in my iPhone 6s Plus for a week, and it works just fine. It’s not as fast as a pro, but pretty good for an almost 5 year old phone. I did get that $29 battery Apple offered. It’s on the latest software update, which this will be the last year.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I put my SIM card in my iPhone 6s Plus for a week, and it works just fine. It’s not as fast as a pro, but pretty good for an almost 5 year old phone. I did get that $29 battery Apple offered. It’s on the latest software update, which this will be the last year.

I'm selling my current iPhone to be able to move forward to the 12 whenever that is released, and I'll be falling back to my old 6s Plus as well. Currently have it running the beta, it's not doing too bad at all!

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Yes Apple sent me a 7 refurbished unit to replace my faulty one
That's different I believe, they're talking about the fact it's being manufactured as brand new, not refurbished. There was an article last year of how a guy got a brand new iPhone 6s from Apple as a replacement and he confirmed it was brand new and not refurbished.

Kerry78

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2016
I’ve seen them for sale for £299.99 BNIB on sites like Very

there good phones I had the Rose Gold from release but then I fancied a colour change and swapped it for Jet Black

the phone is coming upto 4 years next month

my only beef now is that Apple’s updates have started to have there way with the phone, mine for one doesn’t take the best indoor photos anymore I’m not sure if It’s my lens or camera is maybe faulty I’ve used it loads But it defo started after the last update to get crap!

I defo will be changing to a new phone this year as I need a good camera!

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
how can i know when is been done? i have my iphone 7 which is used but the battery is 100% it seems it have had a change of battery recently

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
HELLO

just a question

is the iphone 7 still fast and snappy like scrolling, opening apps, taking photos, multitasking

is it still a great experience for day to day use?
I'm on the 7, and I get some issues with slow opening... like iOS is running out of RAM or struggling to open apps up SOMETIMES. I don't know if this is just bad programming with the latest iOS 13 version, but I wasn't having issues earlier this year.

Overall, for the most part, I am still having a SNAPPY DECENT EXPERIENCE. (other than battery life...... I'm finding I wish I had more battery life on the days I'm using the phone a lot.)

I'm on 93% battery, so it's not the battery slow down issue.

Kerry78

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2016
I will try it but I’m not hopping for miracles lol

just hoping the days go quicker for the new iPhones to come out ?

Kerry78

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2016
It’s a 2 year old phone I had the battery changed before the £25 battery thing was up in Dec 2018 and Apple ran checks on it

I use the camera a lot it just isn’t perfornaming brilliantly indoors anymore pictures come out faded in some cases

but it’s 4 years old tech It’s apples way of getting you to upgrade sending software that ruins it lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.