Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
but it’s 4 years old tech It’s apples way of getting you to upgrade sending software that ruins it lol

This gets Said a lot and there’s no truth to it. My question would be to you,[ which I’m assuming you probably can’t answer], at what point do you expect software updates to not hinder the iPhone performance for a device approaching 4 years old? There has to be a stop-gap somewhere where smart phones are performing optimally anymore. You’re just under the assumption that a five-year-old smart phone shouldn’t have any slowdowns in performance whatsoever? (Rhetorical) Apple is the only smartphone company that provides five years of iOS support when the others are three years or less.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
The iPhone 7 that Apple sent me works perfectly and I’m pretty content with it. It doesn’t feel slower than the X I just sold. Battery is def better. But this is to hold me over until the new ones come out!

EknCn

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
I have been using XR almost 1 year, i was switched from 7 plus but my heart and mind are still on 7 plus. One of the best phone apple has made.

Kerry78

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2016
@ Relentless Power.
Yes said 5 years is likely pushing it! my partner has said he will keep his another year though so be intrested to see how it handles on a 80% battery span within that time

Its firmware are a few updates behind the camera performs better then mine could be slightly better at lasting longer the day too

I feel Apple are sending stuff over to it to make it seem like you need a new one now I’m with that though I’ve had 2 in the last 4 years I’ve never had a problem with any of them only just as my camera performance isn’t that great indoors anymore!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
@ Relentless Power.
Yes said 5 years is likely pushing it! my partner has said he will keep his another year though so be intrested to see how it handles on a 80% battery span within that time
Awful. My iPhone 7 randomly shut down even at 100% charge while performing basic tasks (e.g. phone calls and text) and sometimes wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it in after which it would show 100% charge. ?‍♀️

That's the primary reason I replaced it with the SE2. Plus the SE2 might well be the last LCD iPhone so it's insurance in case the 5.4" OLED iPhone gives me migraines.

Personally, even the A9-based devices seem fast enough to me.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I just bought a 7 on swappa for a pretty good deal. Was wanting to replace my iPod Touch, but may end up testing it out for a few days as my main phone, or at least popping my SIM card into it when I go to the store since it has Touch ID, I can pay easily with a mask on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.