Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Does the iPhone 8 support data transfers at USB 3 speeds or just USB 2 like all iPhones before it?

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Maybe an iPhone 8 owner would like to chime in.

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Aww shucks, 8 here, didn't take notice when transferring music over and haven't started making use of 4k60 recording. But just did a 60 sec clip at that resolution which was 864mb and the windows file transfer said 4m30s (I didn't time it). This is going to be fun with longer clips.. :(

*not sure if this effected, but the file on my computer was H.264 not the ~412mb H.265 on the phone, conversion could have added to time.

Edit: turned off the option for file compatibility, 387mb file took 20s

Last edited:

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
so the iphone 8 is really just usb 2.0 and the plus is usb 3.0? what a bummer...

Last edited:

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
it doesn't really make sense that one would be 2.0 and the other 3.0. they both support fast charging over USB-PD so those components should be equal. i don't trust the gsm arena info on it's own.

a german pc magazine also reports usb 2.0 speeds for iphone 8: "Das iPhone 8 kommt mit dem USB-Standard 2.0, das macht Dateiübertragungen auf den Mac oder Computer etwas zäh (http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-Tests-Handy-Apple-iPhone-8-Test-15182739.html)." translated: "the iphone 8 comes with usb 2.0. this makes file transfers onto the mac or pc kind of slow." but i also don't trust "computer bild". and they even don't mention the plus that's purportedly usb 3.0 according to gsmarena.

edit: chatting with apple support: the guy verified with a technician that the iphone 8 supports just usb 2.0. awaiting his answer for iphone 8 plus.

edit 2: even after pressing for an answer, he could not confirm usb 3.0 for the iphone 8 plus.

in my opinion that's real letdown. i have a big itunes library and usb 2.0 is the only real thing i hate about my current but old iphone 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACST

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
a german pc magazine also reports usb 2.0 speeds for iphone 8: "Das iPhone 8 kommt mit dem USB-Standard 2.0, das macht Dateiübertragungen auf den Mac oder Computer etwas zäh (http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cb-Tests-Handy-Apple-iPhone-8-Test-15182739.html)." translated: "the iphone 8 comes with usb 2.0. this makes file transfers onto the mac or pc kind of slow." but i also don't trust "computer bild". and they even don't mention the plus that's purportedly usb 3.0 according to gsmarena.

edit: chatting with apple support: the guy verified with a technician that the iphone 8 supports just usb 2.0. awaiting his answer for iphone 8 plus.

edit 2: even after pressing for an answer, he could not confirm usb 3.0 for the iphone 8 plus.

in my opinion that's real letdown. i have a big itunes library and usb 2.0 is the only real thing i hate about my current but old iphone 5.
Good work huschpuscheli! That is a huge disappointment. I am getting the X however so if the plus ends up being 3.0 than surely the X will too.

So what did they tell you in the end, they can't confirm neither 2.0 nor 3.0 for the plus?

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
is there anyone who owns an 8 plus and apples original usb-c to lightning cable that can check max speed in system information?

to be honest i'm not sure that cable supports usb 3 though

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
i just visited the local apple store in cologne and the experts claim that both iphone 8 and 8 plus support usb 3.0. i don't know what to believe...

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
the ipads that support usb 3.0 have 16 pins inside their lightning ports, 8 on both sides. that's what i thought made usb 3.0 speeds possible for them. the new iphone 8 and 8 plus have only 8 pins like my old iphone 5. i just checked that at the store.
[doublepost=1506532260][/doublepost]
at this point I would trust System Information in macOS as long as the cable used to plug in the phone also supports usb 3

is a special lightning cable required?

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
the ipads that support usb 3.0 have 16 pins inside their lightning ports, 8 on both sides. that's what i thought made usb 3.0 speeds possible for them. the new iphone 8 and 8 plus have only 8 pins like my old iphone 5. i just checked that at the store.
[doublepost=1506532260][/doublepost]

that's a very bad sign. i don't know for sure but I take that as a strong indicator that they only support usb 2.0. hopefully the X supports 3.0 after all. on usb 2 it takes me over an hour to restore my phone from a local backup.

is a special lightning cable required?

well yeah, the cable itself, or any adapters that you use, need to support usb 3. apparently a cabe with usb-c on one end could still be only 2.0. i'm not sure about apples lightning to usb-c cable. i'm reading conflicting reports about it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
256 GB phone.
Set restore from computer backup prior to going to bed.
Wake up the next morning and find it's not ready before you need to leave.
Come on, Apple.

Reactions: ex0dus1985
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.