Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
If I use my USB-C to lightening cable (from my Apple 29w charger) and connect my iP8+ to my 2017 iMac and transfer a lot of music, it's as "slow" as when I transfer it from my normal USB port to an iPhone..

Not sure about the charge speed.

Reactions: foliovision

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
If I use my USB-C to lightening cable (from my Apple 29w charger) and connect my iP8+ to my 2017 iMac and transfer a lot of music, it's as "slow" as when I transfer it from my normal USB port to an iPhone..

Not sure about the charge speed.
Is that with Apples original usbc to lightning cable?

What does System Information say?

Last edited:

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
The iPad Pro comes with a regular lightning to usb cable, same as all the iPhones and other iPads. The lightning to usb c cable is sold separately by apple.
as a last resort i talked to apple support and they even told me that none of the apple cables, even the usbc to lightning one, support usb 3.0 speeds. i'm totally baffled by this contradicting information:
  1. german online chat: iphone 8 is usb 2.0; no further information on iphone 8 plus
  2. apple store cologne, germany: both, iphone 8 and 8 plus, can do usb 3.0
  3. german telephone support: both devices are limited to usb 2.0 due to the lack of suitable cables
i wish somebody here could test what's the state of affairs because apple (at least in germany) is incompetent to clarify.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
as a last resort i talked to apple support and they even told me that none of the apple cables, even the usbc to lightning one, support usb 3.0 speeds. i'm totally baffled by this contradicting information:
  1. german online chat: iphone 8 is usb 2.0; no further information on iphone 8 plus
  2. apple store cologne, germany: both, iphone 8 and 8 plus, can do usb 3.0
  3. german telephone support: both devices are limited to usb 2.0 due to the lack of suitable cables
i wish somebody here could test what's the state of affairs because apple (at least in germany) is incompetent to clarify.

haha I think the fact that there are no suitable cables is part of the reason for all the conflicting information. i mean if you look at the info you got from german telephone support, it doesn't really make any sense. we know for sure that the iPad pro supports usb 3 even though there are no suitable cables. this means that it reaches usb 3 data transfer speeds when transferring photos through apples lightning to usb 3 camera adapter. unfortunately it would not reach usb 3 speeds when syncing to a computer because of the cables.

lightning to usb 3 cables should be out on the market sooner or later, so i still hope iPhone X will support them, but I have to conclude now that the chances of restoring it in november at usb 3 speeds are looking very slim.

Reactions: canesalato

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
why is apple so stubborn with regard to this? is this just to save some cents on each device with a cheaper usb controller and lightning port? i have a +100gb itunes library with many songs fluctuation in and out of this library. i was so much looking forward to faster file transfers. at least for me this is a huge disappointing.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
why is apple so stubborn with regard to this? is this just to save some cents on each device with a cheaper usb controller and lightning port? i have a +100gb itunes library with many songs fluctuation in and out of this library. i was so much looking forward to faster file transfers. at least for me this is a huge disappointing.
For me it's the number one missing feature. I've been disappointed about it every year for many years. Especially since the iPhone 6S. IPad Pro was released at the same time with usb 3. It's baffling really that two years later the iPhones still don't support it. And the fact that there's not a single cable on the market that would support it anyway blows my mind. It's not a lot to ask, usb 3.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
yesterday, i emailed tim cook about this confusion. i didn't expect a reaction from tim personally, but after work i saw a call from ireland and a voicemail with an additional email from some apple executive. he kindly asks for a time slot to call me back. will report back here.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
yesterday, i emailed tim cook about this confusion. i didn't expect a reaction from tim personally, but after work i saw a call from ireland and a voicemail with an additional email from some apple executive. he kindly asks for a time slot to call me back. will report back here.
what! that is absolutely phenomenal! i'm glad I found someone who cares about this issue as much as I do lol

i trust you to push him a little bit and to ask all the difficult questions like how can the iPhones still not support usb3? how come the lightning to usb c cable is not usb3 EVEN though the iPad Pro supports usb 3? and please see if you can find out anything about the iPhone X in this regard, that would be fantastic!

good work huschpuscheli :) it would also be of some interest to read the email to tim that elicited this respons so please post it if you feel like it.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

i think they don't care much about transfer by wire anymore.. they expect you to use iCloud Drive/Photo/Match/Apple Music

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey! So when's that call scheduled? Can't wait to hear what you will find out!

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Hey! So when's that call scheduled? Can't wait to hear what you will find out!
unfortunately he called last friday 1 minute before his own working hours ended and i didn't expect a call this late. then we rescheduled for a call yesterday but he did not call me. today, here in germany is a holiday (day of german unity). so i hope he calls back tomorrow.

edit: now i had the conversation with the executive relations advisor. he called from ireland (at least his caller id was from ireland). long story short: neither the support guys nor he is allowed to tell me what speeds the devices support because even they don't know about this stuff. he told me a fitting analogy: it's the same thing with the amount of ram or specifics of the cpu. apple does not disclose this information.

sorry guys :(

Last edited:

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
unfortunately he called last friday 1 minute before his own working hours ended and i didn't expect a call this late. then we rescheduled for a call yesterday but he did not call me. today, here in germany is a holiday (day of german unity). so i hope he calls back tomorrow.

edit: now i had the conversation with the executive relations advisor. he called from ireland (at least his caller id was from ireland). long story short: neither the support guys nor he is allowed to tell me what speeds the devices support because even they don't know about this stuff. he told me a fitting analogy: it's the same thing with the amount of ram or specifics of the cpu. apple does not disclose this information.

sorry guys :(
what a joke! what was the point of this phone call? to refuse to disclose whether their devices support usb 2 or 3 is just beyond belief. imagine if they only sold one capacity iPod and refused to disclose how much storage it had. people will notice, it's not a secret, they're on the market already! unbelievable!

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Lightning is capable of supporting 3.0 speeds correct? Why is it that the 8 would be different than the 8+ even though they use the same cable?

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Lightning is capable of supporting 3.0 speeds correct? Why is it that the 8 would be different than the 8+ even though they use the same cable?
lightning with a 16 pin port which is used in the big ipad pro supports usb3. lightning with a 8 pin port only supports usb2. this is not official information from apple but conclusions from members like mongobongo and changguangyu.

what a joke! what was the point of this phone call? to refuse to disclose whether their devices support usb 2 or 3 is just beyond belief. imagine if they only sold one capacity iPod and refused to disclose how much storage it had. people will notice, it's not a secret, they're on the market already! unbelievable!

yeah i know, right? but i swear that i don't make this up. he told me that the usb speed is like ram and cpu specs: apple does not discuss those officially. he even suggested that i buy an iphone, test the transfer speed and return it. SMH. i bet the iphone x will also just support usb2.

Reactions: Starfyre

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
lightning with a 16 pin port which is used in the big ipad pro supports usb3. lightning with a 8 pin port only supports usb2. this is not official information from apple but conclusions from members like mongobongo and changguangyu.

yeah i know, right? but i swear that i don't make this up. he told me that the usb speed is like ram and cpu specs: apple does not discuss those officially. he even suggested that i buy an iphone, test the transfer speed and return it. SMH. i bet the iphone x will also just support usb2.
buy it, test it, return it -apple

i know you're not making this **** up. it's too crazy to make up :)

too bad nobody at the hands on area after the keynote thought to check if iPhone X had a 8 or 16 pin lightning port

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
this is really frustrating for me as i take lots of video on my phone and there is no way to transfer the files in a fast way. Files that are 10-12GB usually fail due to connection issues and timeouts when connecting to other users's PCs

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
it doesn't really make sense that one would be 2.0 and the other 3.0. they both support fast charging over USB-PD so those components should be equal. i don't trust the gsm arena info on it's own.

It makes no sense as USB 2.0 is not meant for fast charging. Hence, if the iPhone 8 has fast charging, then it has to be 3.0.

FYI, USB 3.0 was built to power SATA devices, a higher power requirement, hence the fast charge capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.