Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Have any sources or citations regarding your possible claim? If your going to create a thread based off a question, then at least provide an origin where you arrived to this question.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Funny the news got out, right after the news about working note 7 devices also explode

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
People who dislike Apple are desperate for their phones to explode. You'll frequently see people citing incidents where iPhones exploded. In all these examples, the battery had been punctured, which naturally causes that to happen -- that's the nature of the beast with lithium.

But no, iPhone 7s do not have a design flaw that causes the battery to catch on fire. That's why Apple heavily test their phones for months before releasing. I'll take boring and reliable any day of the week. :apple:
[doublepost=1475743554][/doublepost]

And reading is your friend here.

The battery was punctured during transit. It was like that out of the box. That's not the same thing as the issues with the Note.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reactions: keysofanxiety

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Funny how Braille skateboarding drilled through iPad and iPhone without problems, and the first 'brzzz' of the drill on the Samsung made the thing catch fire.

(1:30m in)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
And reading is your friend here.

The battery was punctured during transit. It was like that out of the box. That's not the same thing as the issues with the Note.

I love how people on internet forums are so quick to argue!

I wasn't passing judgement or making comment on the story, the reasons or the conclusions. I was simply replying to the question "Anyone have heard about an iPhone 7 catching on fire?" and providing a link as per the request "Have any sources or citations regarding your possible claim?"

Oalico

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016
Lebanon
Have any sources or citations regarding your possible claim? If your going to create a thread based off a question, then at least provide an origin where you arrived to this question.

The same story as mentioned here:
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/41730-iphone-7-catches-fire-too

Funny the news got out, right after the news about working note 7 devices also explode

True, that's what happened I was telling my friend that the "recalled fixed Note 7" is burning. He replied "Well I have heard that iPhone 7 is catching fire too. That's why I created this thread.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I love how people on internet forums are so quick to argue!

I wasn't passing judgement or making comment on the story, the reasons or the conclusions. I was simply replying to the question "Anyone have heard about an iPhone 7 catching on fire?" and providing a link as per the request "Have any sources or citations regarding your possible claim?"

@keysofanxiety wasnt arguing with you or anyone for that matter. He simply clarified the differences from the issues plaguing the Note 7, from what was reported with the IPhone 7. With the OP failing to provide a link the first time like they should have, one could easily misconstrued what the title of the thread actually meant, therefore allowing others to be confused.

And forum members have arguments at times, it happens. It's part of discussions, as long as others are being respectful.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

FoxMike

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
For gods sake. The iPhone DOES NOT USE lithium ion batteries. Lithium polymer. Can they explode? Yes! It happens. I had an iPhone 6 Plus blow up on me awhile back after getting a screen replacement. Why did it blow up? A shard of glass was left between the display and the battery causing a puncture. The number of iPhones is very minimal compared to Samsung. As you may know Samsung is about to reacall all of the replacement note 7s. All Apple devices are isolated like any battery. Some will fail. Most of the time Li-Po batteries just swell.

Edit: Never mind I cought the stupid. I forgot iPhones now use Li-ion. But my point is still valid.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Apple iPhones Not Safe Either.

"Fresno woman says her iPhone exploded and caught on fire in her bedroom, it was a harsh wake-up call after she says a flash followed by flames jolted her out of bed. It was caused by her iPhone 6 plus that was charging on the dresser."

"I heard a sizzling, then we heard the pop and the whole fire was coming out of the screen."

Estrada said it got so hot it damaged the dresser, a pair of glasses, and two apple watch stands.

"What if this would have been underneath my pillow or if I was on the phone? My face would be burned."

This is the second iPhone explosion in a week. The first was reported by a student, Darin Hlavaty, on the east coast. He said the same model started burning in his back pocket before it blew up.

http://abc30.com/news/fresno-woman-...ed-and-caught-on-fire-in-her-bedroom/1543292/

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
Because it was damaged in shipping and not blowing up in peoples hands.
For gods sake. The iPhone DOES NOT USE lithium ion batteries. Lithium polymer. Can they explode? Yes! It happens. I had an iPhone 6 Plus blow up on me awhile back after getting a screen replacement. Why did it blow up? A shard of glass was left between the display and the battery causing a puncture. The number of iPhones is very minimal compared to Samsung. As you may know Samsung is about to reacall all of the replacement note 7s. All Apple devices are isolated like any battery. Some will fail. Most of the time Li-Po batteries just swell.

Edit: Never mind I cought the stupid. I forgot iPhones now use Li-ion. But my point is still valid.

No it's not. Your point is not valid because as I said, it happened a few times already...

http://wccftech.com/iphone-6-plus-explodes-middle-night/
http://bgr.com/2016/10/03/iphone-explosion-fire-6-plus-student-pocket/
http://www.nbc12.com/story/33324416/womans-iphone-explodes-near-her-one-year-old-son
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11721124
http://bgr.com/2016/09/29/iphone-7-exploding-fire-photos/

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Of course it happens in iPhones and ALL laptops and phones in some small number. Defects will happen; and most of the articles you point to are again user damage (the student admitted the phone had a crack meaning could've had unknown internal damage causing the battery to rupture, and there is some hint it was in his back pocket meaning sat on it) and the 7 that blew up during shipping for again physical damage.

I hope you dont put your laptop on your car driver seat and sit on it and go "durrrrrr it broken now and battery caught on fire." DONT SIT ON ELECTRONICS THINGS SHORT OUT. It's such a basic thing that dumb people dont seem to get. A cell phone has NO business in one's back pocket.

There's also unknowns as to using OEM chargers or not for some of those instances exploded charging at night.

Do some pop on their own? Sure. Lot of energy in those tiny things and nothing is 100%. But if you can point to all but 3 true examples out of how many hundreds of millions of iphones that's a PRETTY good track rate.

Note 7s were at risk of blowing up over 50% of the numbers that were shipped from what I understand, and replacements considered "safe" still blowing up. Pretty big smack in the face of the recall (government) now.

The reason why it's not major news is only a handful in the tens or hundreds of millions shipped in recent years isn't a noteworthy story; and of those handful some were user abuse to the phone or physical damage. It's well within a magin of error for manufacturing and such a mass scale/number. But many many more Note 7s in what, on sale for all but 2 months, have exploded than iphones in the past 2 or 3 years.

Finally, it doeant appear to be freak accidents in tiny numbers like iPhones but sheer negligence by Samsung (via Bloomberg) "original batteries that Samsung used for the phone were “slightly too large for the phone’s compartment.” The battery components were sometimes pinched, which could cause a short circuit, the safety commission said when announcing the recall on September 15th."

That's NEGLIGENCE by Samsung not caring what happened to people as long as they sold phones before the iphone 7 came out, not random freak accidents like the handful of iPhones.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Looks like Apple is taking care of it. Since the 6+ is a two year old phone and there haven't been many reports of this happening it probably isn't anything to be too worried about but I'm sure Apple will find out the cause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.