Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcociccone

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
There's a huge difference. Phones explode from time to time, especially if the battery is somewhat damaged and the liquid flows out. Another reason I guess could be overheating, while the phone is charging and uses non-approved chargers or low quality batteries (for example if you change the battery from cheap chinese shops). It happened with iPhones in the past, like the link someone posted here, with Samsung phones and other brands.

The problem is that the Note 7 explodes because of a manufacturing error that has been ADMITTED by Samsung. There are a lot of reports of Note 7s exploding, not just few scattered ones. That's a HUGE difference.

Plus the title is misleading... iPhones ARE NOT NOW exploding. All the links shown here are related to different models. Nice try though.

Last edited:

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
The iPhone 7/6/6s and Note 7 use batteries by the same manufacturer, so there is concern...

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
The iPhone 7/6/6s and Nte 7 use batteries by the same manufacturer, so there is concern...

No there's not if you read the facts of what is actually going on.

Via Bloomberg: "original batteries that Samsung used for the phone were “slightly too large for the phone’s compartment.” The battery components were sometimes pinched, which could cause a short circuit, the safety commission said when announcing the recall on September 15th."

EXACTLY why the few freak instances you raise out of hundreds of millions of iPhones is not newsworthy. Again well within normal failure rates not even considering some are physical damage.

Direct negligence by a company on a mass scale with knowledge of the risk and totally disregarded it releasing the product still is completely newsworthy; and despicable.

It would be like comparing say the number Ford factory brakes on brand new cars off the lot that failed in the last 10 years due to no fault (incredibly small compared to the ten plus million cars sold) with GM's ignition failure where they knew the risk and totally disregarded it (and MANY more instances than the former in a MUCH smaller sample size of cars).

One is also despicable, intentional, and criminal and one is natural failure rate of a mass produced product. GM here is Samsung.

Last edited:

FoxMike

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
A lot of questions to be asked. Was an OEM or Apple certified charger used? Has the phone gotten wet? Bends cracks or dings? Just a few.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
First of all... Why would it ever have been under her pillow? That's a bad idea regardless of the device. Also you'd have to be an idiot to have it happen in your hand. You could easily tell it was getting hot enough to blow.

I'm honestly not sure I buy this or if it's just an attempt to try and get publicity after seeing that it's working for Samsung owners. There's too many popping up lately and they are using totally different batteries and designs.

Reactions: Xenith

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A lot of questions to be asked. Was an OEM or Apple certified charger used? Has the phone gotten wet? Bends cracks or dings? Just a few.

You mean Questions that will never be answered. Even so, the phone owner will never admit to water damage or any other possible fault on their account. They don't want take the blame for something they had no control over, or so they say. They want compensation for Apple distributing a faulty iPhone. Period.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Apple iPhones Not Safe Either.

"Fresno woman says her iPhone exploded and caught on fire in her bedroom, it was a harsh wake-up call after she says a flash followed by flames jolted her out of bed. It was caused by her iPhone 6 plus that was charging on the dresser."

"I heard a sizzling, then we heard the pop and the whole fire was coming out of the screen."

Estrada said it got so hot it damaged the dresser, a pair of glasses, and two apple watch stands.

"What if this would have been underneath my pillow or if I was on the phone? My face would be burned."

This is the second iPhone explosion in a week. The first was reported by a student, Darin Hlavaty, on the east coast. He said the same model started burning in his back pocket before it blew up.

http://abc30.com/news/fresno-woman-...ed-and-caught-on-fire-in-her-bedroom/1543292/
On the positive side, Apple will probably give her a new iPhone 7 Plus as compensation

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
For gods sake. The iPhone DOES NOT USE lithium ion batteries. Lithium polymer. Can they explode? Yes! It happens. I had an iPhone 6 Plus blow up on me awhile back after getting a screen replacement. Why did it blow up? A shard of glass was left between the display and the battery causing a puncture. The number of iPhones is very minimal compared to Samsung. As you may know Samsung is about to reacall all of the replacement note 7s. All Apple devices are isolated like any battery. Some will fail. Most of the time Li-Po batteries just swell.

Edit: Never mind I cought the stupid. I forgot iPhones now use Li-ion. But my point is still valid.
Lithium Polymer is just a lithium ion battery in a pouch, according to wikipedia.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
The iPhone 7/6/6s and Note 7 use batteries by the same manufacturer, so there is concern...

No, no there isn't. The phone has been out for almost a month now and there are no reports of the devices catching fire or exploding without user interference or damage (the one was in transit at the time!) There is a huge difference between batteries reacting due to outside factors and batteries reacting due to design flaw or poor workmanship, and there's a reason Samsung had to do a recall and Apple has not.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
The iPhone 7 that explode was due to punctured through the box to the phone while on transit. It is completely different than self explode like Samsung product.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The iphones where the batteries exploded did make headlines. But there is no recall in effect. It's not a manufacturing defect nor a battery defect, just some isolated unfortunate instances.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bmauter

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Have any of you heard of any iPhone 7's catching fire like the Samsungs? My dad swears he heard Apple had a problem too. My wife says she heard it too.

I've searched MR, MR forums and Drudge, but I haven't found anything.

I wonder if this is him simply mixing up iPhone 7 with Note 7. At the airport a couple weeks ago, the boarding clerk announced something about the "iPhone Note 7", so he wouldn't be the first.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Have any of you heard of any iPhone 7's catching fire like the Samsungs? My dad swears he heard Apple had a problem too. My wife says she heard it too.

I've searched MR, MR forums and Drudge, but I haven't found anything.

I wonder if this is him simply mixing up iPhone 7 with Note 7. At the airport a couple weeks ago, the boarding clerk announced something about the "iPhone Note 7", so he wouldn't be the first.

There was one that came out of the box completely charred. But that was because the packaging had been damaged during transit and the battery was punctured, causing the problem. Due to how battery technology works, and how volitile they are when damaged, you'll always get instances of these things setting on fire.

Then you'll have haters and poor journalists who jump on the stories and point to this to also being a problem with the iPhone 7. It's simply not the case.

They don't have a manufacturing defect which would cause that, like the Note 7 does did. So no need to worry.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Have any of you heard of any iPhone 7's catching fire like the Samsungs?

No.

If there was a pattern of iPhones catching fire the media outlets would have an absolute ****storm twice as bad of as anything Samsung has had to deal with.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think there was one iPhone 7 that supposedly did right after launch. All batteries are susceptible to this and a small percentage fail. In Samsung's case, the number was too high so it probably wasn't just normal failures associated with high manufacturing volumes.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
There have been reports of iPhones catching fire over the years, but that's not something you can completely prevent. It's always possible in any phone.

The problem with the Note 7 is that the chances of that happening were way more likely than other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.