Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
iPhone mini wasn't successful due to its poor battery backup. News of iPhone 15 significant battery capacity increase is circulating now. I hope apple could redesign iPhone mini with a much battery capacity now. Please apple, small screen fans are still out there!

Check the battery capacity of iPhone 15 line up below.

Attachments

• .png
    .png
    393.5 KB · Views: 601

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
I think the bigger battery rumor is bogus.
No, Apple since the 1st iPhone are trying their best to include more battery capacity. Each year we see every iPhone introduced will have little to more battery capacity increase.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
What makes you think that the mini sold poorly purely based on the battery capacity?

I’d much more likely attribute it to a smaller screen when many folks are seeking larger screens (eg the “Plus” series).

That said, I think the mini will show up every few years (perhaps with a node shrink). While I like the form factor of the mini, I really need a Pro mini, though I don’t think we’re there yet engineering-wise.

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
I have an SE 2020 (is a year old) before that a 6S. I like the small screen; the phone easily fits in my t-shirt or pant's pocket. My battery is normally 50-60% when I go to bed.

I wouldn't buy a bigger screen unless there weren't any small ones available. And I'm not necessarily stuck on Apple.

For serious computing, I use my laptop.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, Apple since the 1st iPhone are trying their best to include more battery capacity. Each year we see every iPhone introduced will have little to more battery capacity increase.

Small capacity increases, yes. We got a 12% increase with SE3 due to updated chemistry. This rumor says 18% increase which isn't likely. But even if the battery rumor were true, people want big displays.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Unfortunately there are zero rumours regarding any potential Updated Iphone Mini. Personally im keeping my 13 Mini until Apple release their Folding/Flip iphone. If we get a updated Mini that will be a massive bonus.

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Small capacity increases, yes. We got a 12% increase with SE3 due to updated chemistry. This rumor says 18% increase which isn't likely. But even if the battery rumor were true, people want big displays.
Some people want small phone sizes.
Last time they got a chance to decide, around 5% went small.
Its up to Apple to decide if that's worth having in the portfolio...
(iPhone 12 mini was technically too limited in comparison to the main product line, but they did everything right with the 13 mini).

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Unfortunately there are zero rumours regarding any potential Updated Iphone Mini. Personally im keeping my 13 Mini until Apple release their Folding/Flip iphone. If we get an updated Mini that will be a massive bonus.
Pretty much my thoughts too.
See what comes first, the Flip phone or an updated Mini?

I have no need for any updates at the moment, I got mine last yr, so I’m all good.
Never got the hysteria of people who upgrade their phones more often than +3-5 years.
Unless they are photographers and do it for the camera's. Then Mini are not for them anyway.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013

The person who leaked the supposed battery capacities of the iPhone 15 series said this:

Update: The Weibo user behind the battery capacity rumor has now cautioned that it should be treated with caution and not taken too seriously.

Check the update at the bottom of the post: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/07/04/iphone-15-lineup-larger-batteries/

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
What makes you think that the mini sold poorly purely based on the battery capacity?

I’d much more likely attribute it to a smaller screen when many folks are seeking larger screens (eg the “Plus” series).

That said, I think the mini will show up every few years (perhaps with a node shrink). While I like the form factor of the mini, I really need a Pro mini, though I don’t think we’re there yet engineering-wise.
Yea, iPhone mini with PRO features sounds awesome but PRO iPhones are equipped with high-end features which draws more power than just basic models. If Apple can work on smaller board design which can house more battery capacity, then they can succeed. Have to see what Apple will do to small screen models in the future.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Yes, bigger screen. It was that Samsung started to launch big screens like galaxy and galaxy note starting from galaxy S1. At that time Apple was still using 4” inch iPhone 5S. Apple then made a customer analyses and worked on new screen on iPhone 6.
I am comfortable in typing 4” inch iPhones. Also to avoid YouTube or video addiction, I don’t switch to bigger screens.
Mine is iPhone SE 1st gen.

Reactions: BenZhG

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
One thing that is never going to change for the foreseable future is the average size of the human hand. I’m sorry, if I want a tablet, I will get an actual tablet.

IF battery life becomes an issue, power banks have been around for years.

Long live my 12 mini!

99fe3639e2716c8b28db7e524c222b05.jpg

Last edited:

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
Check battery endurance (time between charges) of many iPhones. Note, the iPhone mini 13 only has the battery endurance similar to iPhone SE 2016.

777f4714afed661fc3ee54970efb1feb.jpg

Below is iPhone SE 2016, it has only 73h between charges.

90be3f18082f0c38eb2d8ed49e401e1c.jpg

Future iPhone mini’s battery endurance should be at-least 90h like in iPhone 13 or iPhone 14. That means an addition of 800mah battery capacity should be increased.

Reactions: BenZhG and Lioness~

phillyman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I love my mini and many people comment on it and say oooh I'd buy one if I'd known... Those are the same people that didn't buy them when they were available. People just prefer bigger screens. In theory everyone would love a foldable (small formfactor, large screen). I just don't think they will ever be durable enough.

Like most mini owners, we have/use other devices and actually like the downsides so we are less attached to our phones. I understand the appeal of a bigger screen but just like my form factor.

Clearly we are a vocal minority. Apple doesn't have a preference what they produce. They are a company and will determine their product lineup on solely what sells/costs. What is interesting are the stories that said the Plus early on did not sell as well as expected. But I assume the parts/engineering that can be saved with having just two sizes (and not three) is considerable.

My guess we can cry all we want and hope for a mini but those days are over. Then again I cried for years for a return of a magsafe cable with a charging light and lo and behold apple brought it back... So who knows?

warminthewinter

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2019
I honestly didn’t pay too much attention to the 13 mini when it released as I wasn’t really looking for a new phone at the time but my current XR has a display that’s dying and a battery that could use a replacement and I have been weighing the options of replacing display and battery vs a new phone and the 13 mini has been on my mind the past few days. Have been reading a few things and watching some YouTube videos and it seems like it might be the one for me. The size of the XR is just slightly larger than I would like but it was fine.

Have seen a few people mention that the tend to use their phone less as it’s not as powerful or doesn’t have the greatest battery life. And I think that might be the move for me.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The iPhone mini is effectively a rehash of the iPhone 4/5 strategy. We’ve all heard that story before.

Back then, Apple insisted nobody wanted phablets. Their idea was people would rather have a dedicated iPhone and iPad. Instead of selling only one device, Apple could sell two. Even Steve Jobs realized Samsung was right back then, hence the iPhone 6/Plus.

So it’s no surprise the iPhone mini failed. What’s changed since 2012? Are people spending less time with screens? Is there less online content available? Are most people asking for smaller phones?

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Check battery endurance (time between charges) of many iPhones. Note, the iPhone mini 13 only has the battery endurance similar to iPhone SE 2016.

777f4714afed661fc3ee54970efb1feb.jpg

Below is iPhone SE 2016, it has only 73h between charges.

90be3f18082f0c38eb2d8ed49e401e1c.jpg

Future iPhone mini’s battery endurance should be at-least 90h like in iPhone 13 or iPhone 14. That means an addition of 800mah battery capacity should be increased.
I'll admit one of the weaknesses of both my 2016 iPhone SE and iPhone 13 mini is that both had battery lives that left something to be desired. I have no idea what those charts mean by "90h" or "73h". There's no way these devices could last 73 or 90 hours long. Even those other numbers like "11:56h" or "14:17h" are horribly optimistic. I don't have a 12, 14, 73, or 90-hour phone. This iPhone 13 mini is like a 6-hour Screen-On Time phone, and that's it, partner.

Reactions: alondoo

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Yea, iPhone mini with PRO features sounds awesome but PRO iPhones are equipped with high-end features which draws more power than just basic models. If Apple can work on smaller board design which can house more battery capacity, then they can succeed. Have to see what Apple will do to small screen models in the future.
It’s a moving target that can’t be hit unfortunately.

Even within the Pro line there’s differentiation between sizes (this happened with the 12 Pro max and the 15 Pro Max sounds like it’ll get the telephoto camera while the 15 Pro won’t). If they can’t get the Pro lines to have feature parity (because of space limitations), there’s no way that they can bring those same features to a smaller form factor.

With the rumored introduction of the Ultra line of phones, Apple might choose to maintain feature parity across a given lineup, though. This would allow folks to buy based on size alone rather than having to get a form factor they don’t want to get the features they desire (this would be the same model they follow with Apple Silicon Macs). Plus, an Ultra lineup still allows them to do advanced research and improve their ROI sooner, with those capabilities later showing up across their lineup.

badarihp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2015
[mention]257Loner [/mention]

iPhone mini 13 battery endurance

0a6c617b5187a91ad32bb7619fd35d2c.jpg

Gsmarena battery lab test explained here:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.